Student dies during hazing ritual, university condemns fatal violation

snoop1130

8719164A-10DC-43F6-9AC3-6F41F13F3856.jpeg

A student has died during a hazing ritual at a university in Thailand’s north-eastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, despite the university’s ban on hazing. Police have yet to file any charges.

The student, a first year vocational student, was reportedly injured at a gathering of about 60 students on Sunday at around 11pm, 10 kilometres away from the Rajamangala University of Technology Isan campus. He was being taken to hospital when he died.

An autopsy is underway and police are still collecting evidence and interrogating those involved, according to Deputy Police Spokesperson Pol. Col. Krisana Pattanacharoen.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/student-dies-during-hazing-ritual-university-condemns-fatal-violation/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 9

University fraternities for the most part have some sort of hazing ritual for newbies.  When I attended university I lived on campus.  Never joined one but now and then witnessed their antics. Fortunately the majority of the rituals are not life threatening.  The freshman want to be accepted by their peers. And some of the upperclassmen will put pressure on them.  And to some of the students it’s an honor for them to be accepted into a fraternity.  So they will agree to just do about anything regardless of the risk involved. 

• Thanks 1

1. Happens every year here - Thai culture? ... or Thai mentality?

2. Same thing occurs in the army most years.

3. OK, one guy died ... and how many others survived their beating this time?

4. RIP young 19-year old guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Russia thinks so to but where did you read it was the root of all problems ? or is it just your thoughts ?

Kid dies from hazing in Thailand and it came from the US. Not my thought but apparently many posters here seem to think so is all.

• Like 2

What an incredibly stupid ritual.

When I was a "Fresher" at a London Uni in the mid 90's we simply went out, got wasted and then had sex with any female that was willing. If a second year student had suggested I 'respect' him or do some stupid, degrading task then I'd have told him to go F himself.

• Like 2