Research Teams in Trang Capture Rare Footage of Marine Wildlife

snoop1130

fe7160c3b4960363be38899668dd342a_small.jpg

TRANG (NNT) - Authorities in Trang have reported that an aerial survey recently observed up to 170 dugongs, 27 Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins and 141 sea turtles near local islands in the province.

The discovery was made possible through collaboration between the Marine and Coastal Resources Research Center in Thailand’s Lower Gulf and another research center in the Western Upper Gulf. Their teams were searching for rare sea creatures in the areas surrounding Koh Libong, Koh Mook and several adjacent islands.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

According to Sopon Thongdee, director-general of the the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR), the search was conducted using an aerial line-transect method and an unmanned aerial vehicle operated by volunteer pilots Eduado Angelo Loigorri and Pinyada Pithansiri.

Sopon added that aerial footage obtained from the drone revealed that the area is home to approximately 170 dugongs. Typically, the animals are seen feeding and mating in areas with an abundance of seagrass. Humpback dolphins and sea turtles from the Indo-Pacific were also discovered nearby.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-21

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Authorities in Trang have reported that an aerial survey recently observed up to 170 dugongs, 27 Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins and 141 sea turtles near local islands in the province.

Poor animals. 

Having to navigate through those murky waters. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Authorities in Trang have reported that an aerial survey recently observed up to 170 dugongs, 27 Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins and 141 sea turtles near local islands in the province.

Make a good movie... "Lost at sea"

I'm very happy to hear that there are still some dugongs and turtles down there!  Looking at the aerial photo, I didn't realize the turtles are as large as the dugongs!  I guess leatherbacks can grow that big and bigger though.  I would really love to see one in real life.