VPN and brave???

kingstonkid

Okay I usually keep up on things but will admit I am a little confused.

All of a sudden I am getting hammered on you tube with ads.  It is almost as bad as watching tv at  home lol.

Anyway 2 of the ads are vpn and the other is BRAVE.

I understand that Brave is another browser but does anyone here use it and is it better than chrome?

The other thing I am seeing is a lot a bout VPN.  

what are the advantages of VPN.  I could care less about sports as I am not interested in staying up until 3am to watch a race and I do not watch tv per se.

https://www.privacytools.io/#browser

“Web Browsers for better Internet Privacy”

Chrome not recommended because Google…

Brave is on the list though: ads & tracker

Fast  Win  Android  iOS  Mac  Linux

Not a popular choice within the privacy community but it offers a complete package out of the box on all platforms and is suitable for beginners or if setup time is a factor at the given situation. Wikipedia offers more information about it's controversies.

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

From the point of view of watching TV or films, a VPN allows you access to outlets which only allow IPs from within the country of origin.

Simple example is me. I like to watch certain programmes on the BBC iPlayer, however if I try to access it from here I would be blocked.

So I use a VPN which tricks the BBC into thinking that I am accessing their service from within the UK.

And of course, you tell 'em you have a licence.   LOL 

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Simple example is me. I like to watch certain programmes on the BBC iPlayer, however if I try to access it from here I would be blocked.

So I use a VPN which tricks the BBC into thinking that I am accessing their service from within the UK.

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And of course, you tell 'em you have a licence.   LOL 

Naturally. In fact I find it a bit of a giggle because my super reliable VPN service costs less than a third of a UK TV license. And the BBC even keep me signed in to their website. That's cool of them. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

From the point of view of watching TV or films, a VPN allows you access to outlets which only allow IPs from within the country of origin.

Exactly. My Express VPN set to UK / London to watch Prime & Disney & IPlayer. Netflix & YouTube doesn’t care about your IP. BUT You Tube shows me UK Ads unless VPN Off then it’s Thai Ads.

Annoyingly Prime detects VPN on MI Android USB TV Stick so blocks use.

Have to watch Prime on IPad not TV.

My Smart TV Chip replaced but still doesn’t work hence TV Android Stick

Stick 800 baht vs new TV min. 15 k ! 

When in places like China or Russia you are completely blocked from www internet without VPN and even then VPN requires source reset every three days as govts. search, detect & block it.

Also best for max privacy to hide your IP from all govts and hosts like Google or Online Forums, to stop them using your personal usage to identify & profile you (or visit / arrest you)via IP address. 

If you suspect IP still revealed to host, you can use another device which has different IP not necessarily linked to your known profile. 

14 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

I use Brave browser and it is very effective in eliminating ads on you tube.

YMMV

Just installed and tried a few videos that start with ads on Firefox.

All came directly with Brave.

An alternative to downloading the videos which I often do.

(has the added advantage that you can use a feature rich player like VLC)

On 3/22/2022 at 1:02 PM, Moonlover said:

Thanks everyone for the assistance.  I am using Brave for YouTube an man is it so much better

• Like 1