19-year-old Thai wins in California on the LPGA Tour

ASEAN NOW News

FO53tL_UYAEjQbH.jpg.aab25578450f7419c463f9a01bc1958b.jpg

Selfie

Atthaya Thitikul has won the JTBC Classic for her first LPGA Tour title, a three-putt bogey on the second hole of a playoff enough to overcome Nanna Koerstz Madsen.

At 19 years, 25 days, Thitikul is the youngest winner on the LPGA Tour since Brooke Henderson in the 2016 Portland Classic at 18 years, 9 months, 23 days.

The Thai player from Ratchaburi province also has two victories on the Ladies European Tour and is ranked 14th on the Rolex Rankings.

"It's just crazy in my mind right now," Thitikul said.

"I cannot believe that I became LPGA winner. It's felt amazing as well."

After Koerstz Madsen's 15-foot bogey putt hit the edge of the cup and stayed out, Thitikul rolled her 10-foot par try close and holed out for the breakthrough victory.

"A lot of things going through my head," Thitikul said.

"But one thing that I really want to focus is like just, 'Do your every single shot.' Just like, 'If you lose, if you win, this is another chance to learn. So do your best every single shot'.

"That's it."

Thitikul shot an 8-under 64, making nine birdies and a bogey to post at 16-under 272 at Aviara Golf Club in the final event before the first major of the season next week at Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage.

Atthaya won US$225,000 and has earnt a total of US$340,372 not missing the cut in just five tournaments.

Atthaya’s best friend on tour, fellow Thai Pajaree Anannarukarn was fourth, so it was a great weekend for Thai golfers.

Many in the golf industry had great hopes for Atthaya, however, to win on her fifth start on the LPGA is remarkable and many predict she will become a future No 1 in the World.

Currently Thailand’s highest ranked player is Patty Tavatanakit at 13 on the Rolex rankings, however with this win expect Atthaya to jump above her.

• Like 2