Transcatheter heart valve repair

Sheryl

1 hour ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Yes, I'm looking into TAVI/TAVR.  I've only found 1 doctor so far who is not emphatically insisting "you're too young" (mid 50's), before I even finish saying it.  Age is only 1 factor, everything has to be taken into account.  

Age obviously has nothing to do with it (though people deemed poor surgivcal risks do get priority). .  What is your Ejection Fraction? And where in Thailand are you?

11 hours ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Hi, I'm in BKK.  ejection fraction is 28.

That is really, really low, obviously you need valve replacement  quickly.

TAVI/TAVR is now approved in Thailand for   "patient with moderate risk" (for surgery) and risk is assessed according to multiple factors.

It is  usually done by interventional cardiologists rather than cardiac surgeons and you will likely get a better response going straight to one of these, and specifically  who has experience with it.

I suggest :

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Wattanaphol-Phipathananunth

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That is really, really low, obviously you need valve replacement  quickly.

TAVI/TAVR is now approved in Thailand for   "patient with moderate risk" (for surgery) and risk is assessed according to multiple factors.

It is  usually done by interventional cardiologists rather than cardiac surgeons and you will likely get a better response going straight to one of these, and specifically  who has experience with it.

I suggest :

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Wattanaphol-Phipathananunth

Yes it is, have had a problem for a while but nosedived right after I took the second vaccine (Pfizer).  No one can tell me if its connected.  

Thank you for the info. and the  recommendation.  I will be going to Bumrungrad for a consultation.  As for treatment there- I might need to crowdfund to pay their prices. 

I have a consultation appointment with Dr. Pattanasak Lertpradit at Bumrungrad next week (if I can get a TEE test before then).   He is a surgeon, but I believe he has TAVI experience as well.

I'm trying to get a TEE test scheduled before I consult with any more doctors (been to about 6 so far).  I was recommended for the TEE to an echocardiologist - Dr. Decho Chakrapanichkul, by Dr Taweesak Chotivatanapong at Vejthani (whom I really like).  I can't seem to track him down however as he has moved from Siriraj private hospital to the government part of Siriraj.  Do you have any recommendations for a doctor or place to get a TEE test?  In case I can't get an appointment with Dr. Decho.

I want to assess the degree of calcification, if it is bicuspid, and the exact anatomy of the size , shape depth of the aorta and aortic root to help me make decisions going ahead.  

I will note your recommendation also and possibly see him.  I haven't had much luck with interventionalists thus far.  One was fairly open-minded and knowledgable at Bangkok Hospital (dr. rapin kukreja).  

Have you received treatment or know someone who has from the Dr. Wattanaphol Phipathananunth?  Did they have a TAVI procedure?  

Thanks

13 hours ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Yes it is, have had a problem for a while but nosedived right after I took the second vaccine (Pfizer).  No one can tell me if its connected.  

Thank you for the info. and the  recommendation.  I will be going to Bumrungrad for a consultation.  As for treatment there- I might need to crowdfund to pay their prices. 

I have a consultation appointment with Dr. Pattanasak Lertpradit at Bumrungrad next week (if I can get a TEE test before then).   He is a surgeon, but I believe he has TAVI experience as well.

I'm trying to get a TEE test scheduled before I consult with any more doctors (been to about 6 so far).  I was recommended for the TEE to an echocardiologist - Dr. Decho Chakrapanichkul, by Dr Taweesak Chotivatanapong at Vejthani (whom I really like).  I can't seem to track him down however as he has moved from Siriraj private hospital to the government part of Siriraj.  Do you have any recommendations for a doctor or place to get a TEE test?  In case I can't get an appointment with Dr. Decho.

I want to assess the degree of calcification, if it is bicuspid, and the exact anatomy of the size , shape depth of the aorta and aortic root to help me make decisions going ahead.  

I will note your recommendation also and possibly see him.  I haven't had much luck with interventionalists thus far.  One was fairly open-minded and knowledgable at Bangkok Hospital (dr. rapin kukreja).  

Have you received treatment or know someone who has from the Dr. Wattanaphol Phipathananunth?  Did they have a TAVI procedure?  

Thanks

Both Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hosptal can do TEE. I don't know which docs do it but you can contact

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/centers/heart-valve-center-bangkok-thailand

https://www.bangkokhearthospital.com/en/medical-service/echocardiogram

(scroll down for contact info)

Re Dr. Wattranaphol, I don't have any direct feedback on him but I know he does TAVI.  He is the Director of the Heart Valve Center at Bumrungrad. He trained/worked in Canada for a few years so should be well socialized to Western patients. Certainly worth a consultation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Both Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hosptal can do TEE. I don't know which docs do it but you can contact

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/centers/heart-valve-center-bangkok-thailand

https://www.bangkokhearthospital.com/en/medical-service/echocardiogram

(scroll down for contact info)

Re Dr. Wattranaphol, I don't have any direct feedback on him but I know he does TAVI.  He is the Director of the Heart Valve Center at Bumrungrad. He trained/worked in Canada for a few years so should be well socialized to Western patients. Certainly worth a consultation.

Thanks again for your help Sheryl.  If anyone else has experience or recommendations on Cardiologists (surgeons or interventionalists (especially those who are experts in SAVR or TAVI)) please feel free to chime in.

Also, expert echocardiologists and best hospitals to to a TEE test.  Many thanks.  

8 hours ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Thanks again for your help Sheryl.  If anyone else has experience or recommendations on Cardiologists (surgeons or interventionalists (especially those who are experts in SAVR or TAVI)) please feel free to chime in.

Also, expert echocardiologists and best hospitals to to a TEE test.  Many thanks.  

Friend of ours in Dec had heart bypass done by Dr. Wattranaphol. I have no detail of procedure as I didn't ask. All I can say is that he was very pleased with treatment, recovery. Our friend is older than you are and physically very fit.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm having some difficulty getting a TEE (Transesophageal Echocardiography)  test for a normal price.  I just got quoted 100,000 bht from Thonburi hospital lol.  Evidently they were talking a bout having to get a room?  And being in the CCU?

If anyone has done this test and you were pleased with the hospital, doctor, and treatment - could you please let me know where you had this done and what the price was (estimate)?  Many thanks.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 6:10 PM, Tom Vanderlay said:

Hi, I'm having some difficulty getting a TEE (Transesophageal Echocardiography)  test for a normal price.  I just got quoted 100,000 bht from Thonburi hospital lol.  Evidently they were talking a bout having to get a room?  And being in the CCU?

If anyone has done this test and you were pleased with the hospital, doctor, and treatment - could you please let me know where you had this done and what the price was (estimate)?  Many thanks.  

Have you looked at Medpark Hospital? I would think you will find a qualified person there. Recently, had an eye op. Was impressed with general treatment & surgeon. Price was less than anticipated. 

Tom, have you ever had a TEE?  It is a very different procedure from a standard echocardiogram requiring a team of professionals with very different risks for the patient.  I'm not surprised you're receiving quotes of 100,000 baht, although an overnight hospital stay seems a little excessive.  The Wikipedia article explains the difference nicely:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transesophageal_echocardiogram

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 2:23 PM, Letseng said:

Have you looked at Medpark Hospital? I would think you will find a qualified person there. Recently, had an eye op. Was impressed with general treatment & surgeon. Price was less than anticipated. 

Thanks, got it done at siriraj , about 15,000 bht

12 hours ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Thanks, got it done at siriraj , about 15,000 bht

For benefit of others in the future can you:

1. Give doctors name

2. Indicate if through Siriraj private wing (SIPH) or public channel?

Thanks!