My Top Two Pattaya Pet Peeves...

Weho

#2: when parking a car, some parking attendent appears out of nowhere, and is sort of trying to help you park, and they use this whistle, and they blow it, and blow it, at different beat patterns, and different cadences... sometimes rapid, sometimes slow, sometimes alternating back and forth, for no apparent reason. One has no idea if the guy means STOP AT ONCE, or if he means CONTINUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING... or if he means REVERSE STEERING, or something else... we just don't know... but they rapidly change the tone/meaning of their whistling, but we've never been trained anywhere to learn what they mean when they whistle in such an incoherent way. This is particularly bad at FOODLAND and also at the ROYAL GARDEN garage.

#1: At HOME PRO in the Carrefour center, they play over their speaker system throughout the store, this commercial for their store... over and over and over and over again... it's like a 30 second commercial, probably set up on some kind of loop that just repeats over and over and over... and it's this bright zippy music that you just can't get out of your head. I can't take it for more than 5 minutes at a time, before I want to jump off the building. I feel really sorry for the workers there that have to hear that in their head all day, and all night.. I'm sure when they are at their home, they can't get it out of their head. and if they are watching t.v. and the commercial comes on, they probably want to grab an Uzi or something.

bonus pet peeve:

I refuse to get on motor cycle taxis that don't have a basket for the customer to put stuff. And even if I have nothing to put in the basket, I still won't go with them, cause they are too stupid... if they aren't smart enough to know that a 200 baht investment might be worth it for business purposes, I don't think I can trust their driving either. I have to admit I do get some pleasure out of pointing this out to them... when I usually say: "Sorry, I no go with you... you no have basket.. not smart... I look for motorbike taxi with basket, cause farang like basket" Then of course, I get the usual response, which is something just laughing... and sometimes I will then ask them, "you laughed at that... was that funny to you? do i amuse you? did you think i was trying to be funny suggesting you get a basket?" and then they usually laugh even harder.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and sometimes I will then ask them, "you laughed at that... was that funny to you? do i amuse you? did you think i was trying to be funny suggesting you get a basket?" and then they usually laugh even harder.

:o I want to follow you around one day and observe, too bad I don't go to Pataya. It might just be worth it to watch you though.

Well i do agree with you on the parking one, sometimes you nearly run them over as they jump in the way trying to come help you.

My dislike is people pulling out doing left turns not even looking on bikes

and sometimes I will then ask them, "you laughed at that... was that funny to you? do i amuse you? did you think i was trying to be funny suggesting you get a basket?" and then they usually laugh even harder.

:o I want to follow you around one day and observe, too bad I don't go to Pataya. It might just be worth it to watch you though.

I have to give you credit: someone has finally written a post that made me chuckle... are you saying you want another "Day in the life of Weho" posting?

I am planning on going to Foodland tomorrow... how about if I just do a report on my experience, impressions, feelings, observations, pet peeves, etc., just around that visit? I'll start off in the bakery, then selecting the best shopping cart/trolley, then go aisle by aisle, counter by counter... I could point out the good deals, bad deals, good quality, bad quality etc. Is that something you would be interested in? I would like to go into quite some detail about the condiment selection. If interested, let me know here, and I'll try to do that sometime Saturday... I wonder if they still have those table napkins on sale, they were 2 for one, 22 baht a pack... and you get one free. I gave the free pack to the maid. i'm a giver.

Weho, why are you living in Pattaya, if indeed you are?

All of your posts are negative in some way about the place, the food, the people in fact just about everything.

FWIW when I am in Thailand and Pattaya.

I am quite capable of parking a vehicle without any assistance so I merely ignore the man with the whistle.

Never been in Carrefour, Foodland is the nearest I ever get to a western style supermarket. I find the south Pattaya market opposite Wat ChaiMongkol to be a relaxing place to do food shopping with no noisy adverts. Clothes I usually buy at other markets. Other goods where I have no choice but to go to a department store or similar I get in, get it, pay for it and get out as quick as possible.

Motorbike taxis don't bother me if they don't have a basket I can usually hang on to what I am carrying without a problem. Only trouble with them nowadays is you are made to wear those utterly useless excuses for helmets. I always felt safer without anything on my head. If you think Pattaya motorbike taxis are bad you should try the ones in Ha Noi.

I think you should have stayed at home with mummy, you were good and safe there sheltered from all those nasty bugs and people roaming the wide world.

The Whistle Blow by Sucurity Gut and Car Park, wheter Carefour and els where in Pattaya city are normal. As They are not well Trained staffs. So the whistle noise would be indifferent style. :o

But why whistle, if it has no meaning, or if it's not understood by anyone other than the whistler? It's like noise pollution, for no reason. Unnecessary.

#2: when parking a car, some parking attendent appears out of nowhere, and is sort of trying to help you park, and they use this whistle, and they blow it, and blow it, at different beat patterns, and different cadences... sometimes rapid, sometimes slow, sometimes alternating back and forth, for no apparent reason. One has no idea if the guy means STOP AT ONCE, or if he means CONTINUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING... or if he means REVERSE STEERING, or something else... we just don't know... but they rapidly change the tone/meaning of their whistling, but we've never been trained anywhere to learn what they mean when they whistle in such an incoherent way. This is particularly bad at FOODLAND and also at the ROYAL GARDEN garage.

#1: At HOME PRO in the Carrefour center, they play over their speaker system throughout the store, this commercial for their store... over and over and over and over again... it's like a 30 second commercial, probably set up on some kind of loop that just repeats over and over and over... and it's this bright zippy music that you just can't get out of your head. I can't take it for more than 5 minutes at a time, before I want to jump off the building. I feel really sorry for the workers there that have to hear that in their head all day, and all night.. I'm sure when they are at their home, they can't get it out of their head. and if they are watching t.v. and the commercial comes on, they probably want to grab an Uzi or something.

bonus pet peeve:

I refuse to get on motor cycle taxis that don't have a basket for the customer to put stuff. And even if I have nothing to put in the basket, I still won't go with them, cause they are too stupid... if they aren't smart enough to know that a 200 baht investment might be worth it for business purposes, I don't think I can trust their driving either. I have to admit I do get some pleasure out of pointing this out to them... when I usually say: "Sorry, I no go with you... you no have basket.. not smart... I look for motorbike taxi with basket, cause farang like basket" Then of course, I get the usual response, which is something just laughing... and sometimes I will then ask them, "you laughed at that... was that funny to you? do i amuse you? did you think i was trying to be funny suggesting you get a basket?" and then they usually laugh even harder.

My Pet Peeve is putting up with the sh-ite you write on this forum.

The Whistle Blow by Sucurity Gut and Car Park, wheter Carefour and els where in Pattaya city are normal. As They are not well Trained staffs. So the whistle noise would be indifferent style. :o

But why whistle, if it has no meaning, or if it's not understood by anyone other than the whistler? It's like noise pollution, for no reason. Unnecessary.

You think those whistle blowers are annoying? I'm suffering through one now as I write outside my condo in BKK (in this case it's a motorbike taxi who, as a public service stands on the corner and directs traffic during rush hour blowing continuously on the whistle for the entire duration). Anyway, back to my point. This is nothing compared to India, where driving in bumper to bumper traffic and everyone has his hand down on the horn nonstop.

Count your blessings as Thailand is minimally invasive on noise pollution relatively speaking.

All of your posts are negative in some way about the place, the food, the people in fact just about everything.

I agree Weho- all of your posts are compaints about almost every aspect of Thailand.

Is there anything indigenous to Thailand that you DO like? Besides Sizzler, Fuji and Roast Beef sandwiches, which you could find in your own country?

Pray tell- what was it about Thailand that made you decide to move here?

obviously the jeffrosner persona is wornout so back to this one .......

You are Jeff Rosner? :o

Not me :D I would not live in pattaya .... :D a few days a year visiting friends is enough for me

Edited by jdinasia

bonus pet peeve:

My Pet Peeve is putting up with the sh-ite you write on this forum.

Did someone force you to read it? If so, let us know, and we'll alert the proper authorities to rescue you. And why on earth would someone of your stature bother replying? I have an idea... let's take a look at your contributions here and see how fascinating you are...

You think those whistle blowers are annoying? I'm suffering through one now as I write outside my condo in BKK (in this case it's a motorbike taxi who, as a public service stands on the corner and directs traffic during rush hour blowing continuously on the whistle for the entire duration). Anyway, back to my point. This is nothing compared to India, where driving in bumper to bumper traffic and everyone has his hand down on the horn nonstop.

Count your blessings as Thailand is minimally invasive on noise pollution relatively speaking.

I agree that sometimes it's surprising how quiet things can be here, and I know there are worse places for noise pollution... but those annoying trucks that go by with the speakers, and the loud speakers inside Tukcom when they have some event downstairs that surely will cause ear damage, for no reason... and loud bars competing with other loud bars... that kind of stuff is annoying.

If I were King here, or anywhere, I would make a law that ANY NOISE a business makes must not be heard OUTSIDE their property boundry... same for neighbors who are noise in apartments/homes... make all the noise you want that's ONLY heard INSIDE your property...

I agree Weho- all of your posts are compaints about almost every aspect of Thailand.

Is there anything indigenous to Thailand that you DO like? Besides Sizzler, Fuji and Roast Beef sandwiches, which you could find in your own country?

Pray tell- what was it about Thailand that made you decide to move here?

Oh, I'm sorry I displease you. I thought this forum was open to ALL comments... do you only want people to agree with you, and say wonderful things all the time? There are lots of things I like about Thailand, but they are quite dull actually... Is someone forcing you to read my posts? Are you the victim of a home-invasion, and is there someone there forcing you to read my missives? I'm quite concerned... I hope you're o.k. and not harmed...

Hey, does anyone know where I can buy one of these whistles?

When my wife is parallel parking she usually achieves fair success after 4 or 5 attempts. Maybe if I whistle at her she'll be able to do it in 2 or 3 attempts. :D:D:o

actually...one of my first memories of Thailand:

I was going for dinner with the new boss and going out of the parking lot he drove against the one-way. The guy with the whistle was waving his arms, running behind the car and whistling his lungs out.

Boss: <deleted>??

me: I think you are driving against the one-way

Boss: and your point is...?

I decided to love this country....

actually...one of my first memories of Thailand:

I was going for dinner with the new boss and going out of the parking lot he drove against the one-way. The guy with the whistle was waving his arms, running behind the car and whistling his lungs out.

Boss: <deleted>??

me: I think you are driving against the one-way

Boss: and your point is...?

I decided to love this country....

If you're like me, you get to enjoy multiple ear assaults in parking garages. I always have backup sensors installed by the dealer, so I get to simultaneously enjoy 1) beep,beep,beep, 2) nonstop whistling and waving, 3) my car stereo on way too loud, and 4) my wife complaining about all 3.

Are you the victim of a home-invasion, and is there someone there forcing you to read my missives? I'm quite concerned... I hope you're o.k. and not harmed...

I'm fine Weho- no one forcing me to read your posts any more than there is someone forcing you to write them. As you say, this is a public forum. You can post anything you want, and I can read anything I want.

There are lots of things I like about Thailand, but they are quite dull actually...

Really? Let's hear some of them! I'm curious to know if you are capable of sensible discussion and writing anything other than your complaints about Thailand people, food, climate, transportation, scams et al, and your childish "why did you read it" vitriol.

Are you the victim of a home-invasion, and is there someone there forcing you to read my missives? I'm quite concerned... I hope you're o.k. and not harmed...

I'm fine Weho- no one forcing me to read your posts any more than there is someone forcing you to write them. As you say, this is a public forum. You can post anything you want, and I can read anything I want.

There are lots of things I like about Thailand, but they are quite dull actually...

Really? Let's hear some of them! I'm curious to know if you are capable of sensible discussion and writing anything other than your complaints about Thailand people, food, climate, transportation, scams et al, and your childish "why did you read it" vitriol.

it is simply writing for attention .... positive or negative attention is not the issue ... just attention :o

I have enjoyed a few of his posts ... but basically it is just trolling. If you wanted to look at it from an entertainment perspective I guess they could easily fit in farang pub! But let's face it if these juvenile rants were in a blog ... would anyone ever see them? No.

Hey, does anyone know where I can buy one of these whistles?

When my wife is parallel parking she usually achieves fair success after 4 or 5 attempts. Maybe if I whistle at her she'll be able to do it in 2 or 3 attempts. :D:D:o

OK, that's two people today that made me laugh...

OK, here's something nice I have to say: one thing I like about Thailand is, um.... let's see... I like, ugh.... I like that you can admit you read my posts, and, ummmmm, I like that I can walk down any street or alley, any time of day or night, and I don't have the same fear here that I'm going to get bopped over the head, as I do in my home country... but is that interesting? Wouldn't you rather know about my fight with the taxi dude, or the long-haired girl who put her head UNDER and INSIDE the glass bacteria protection wall at the Sizzler salad bar, OR perhaps hearing about how the guy in the movie theater, who wouldn't shut up his kid said he was going to box me, but only AFTER the movie, ("I boxing you!!).... OR what about the female motor taxi driver with the LONG COARSE black hair, that she didn't put UNDER her helmet, which was slapping me in the face, as she sped away... is this what you consider a sensible discussion? And who is the judge of what IS and what ISN'T "sensible"?

Why not other others judge for themself what they consider "sensible"?

I try to write in this forum about things that relate to Pattaya... sometimes we drift to more general things, which I regret.