My Top Two Pattaya Pet Peeves...

Weho

Weho- you're a trip. Never a dull moment reading your posts.

I like that I can walk down any street or alley, any time of day or night, and I don't have the same fear here that I'm going to get bopped over the head, as I do in my home country...

OR perhaps hearing about how the guy in the movie theater, who wouldn't shut up his kid said he was going to box me, but only AFTER the movie, ("I boxing you!!)....

You like Thailand because it is so safe in any place at any time of day or night, but in the same paragraph you complain about being threatened with violence in a movie theatre????

Tell us some more things you like about Thailand- let us be the judge!

In fact, lets go back to my original question of- "what made you decide to move here?" What factors convinced you that Thailand was the right place for you?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well whatever some people think, I certainly enjoy Weho's posts.. I dont always agree with everything he says, but he sometimes makes some good points which some people would never write on a forum, which makes it quite interesting and different from the same old 'How much do you pay for a baht bus' type of threads..

Go Weho!

:o

Talking about parking cars ect, I find it extremely annoying when you are parking somewhere, eg. Soi Chaiyapoon.... You struggle to fit into a tiny parking space, because its the only one on the soi, Spend ages getting the car straight ect, Get out, LOCK UP the car and start to walk away, and its then when someone comes out of the 'closed up' bar ect and says you cant park there.. When they had been watching all the time that you were trying to park the car! And they dont tell you until you've parked it and started walking away...

One thing Ive always wondered, In places like Soi Chaiyapoon, ARE YOU allowed to park in front of someones place or not? Is it their part of the Soi in front of their shop where its up to them if anyone can park there or not??

Well i am a Weho fan! whether Male or Female, his heart is in the right place.. He is not harming anyone on here, he is speaking what he feels and this is what this is all about.

Anyway, has anyone seen the Guy at the entrance to Carrefore Car Park at the back. He looks so funny waving that red light around, He waves it around so fast - looks a bit of a hitler. hahahaha.

I wonder if he had to train to do that - i dont know who he is waving it at.

Well i am a Weho fan! whether Male or Female, his heart is in the right place.. He is not harming anyone on here, he is speaking what he feels and this is what this is all about.

Anyway, has anyone seen the Guy at the entrance to Carrefore Car Park at the back. He looks so funny waving that red light around, He waves it around so fast - looks a bit of a hitler. hahahaha.

I wonder if he had to train to do that - i dont know who he is waving it at.

Yes, he did receive advanced training in flag waving techniques... there is a special school/acadamy for that, I think it's on Tepprasit... it's quite prestigsous, and there is a waiting list to get in.

But some of these lower level jobs have people that really do sincerely try and do whatever it is they think they are supposed to do... somewhere they do try to be helpful... and they are always friendly... but you do have to wonder: am I paying MORE for this imported can of peas, because Carrefour has to pay all the flag-wavers and parking space whistle dudes?

Weho- you're a trip. Never a dull moment reading your posts.
I like that I can walk down any street or alley, any time of day or night, and I don't have the same fear here that I'm going to get bopped over the head, as I do in my home country...

OR perhaps hearing about how the guy in the movie theater, who wouldn't shut up his kid said he was going to box me, but only AFTER the movie, ("I boxing you!!)....

You like Thailand because it is so safe in any place at any time of day or night, but in the same paragraph you complain about being threatened with violence in a movie theatre????

Tell us some more things you like about Thailand- let us be the judge!

In fact, lets go back to my original question of- "what made you decide to move here?" What factors convinced you that Thailand was the right place for you?

Thanks for pointing out my hypocrisy... I'm so angry, "I want to BOXING you!!!"

For your other questions, my answers would be too dull, and then you would all gang up on me, call me a troll, and banish me to the Farang Pub board... then I would have to BOXING all of you!!!

I boxing you.

weho you have hit the nail on the head

that whistle blowing drives me nuts ,,,,

i wonder if the attendent takes his whistle home with him and whistles orders at the wife ????

It's his freekin' job that he gets paid 4000 baht a month for, you think he wouldn't like the opportunties that you have had in your privilaged life ?

You try to belittle Thai people, why ?

You wanna swap places with him?

Edited by Maigo6

For your other questions, my answers would be too dull, and then you would all gang up on me, call me a troll, and banish me to the Farang Pub board... then I would have to BOXING all of you!!!

I boxing you.

This is rich...! You're now threatening ME with violence because you can't answer straightforward questions or engage in a discussion without fabrication, prevarication or vitriol?? Am I ruining your fun Weho?

Would you make the same threat to my face, or is this just more hypocrisy- a drama queen hiding behind the protective layer of an internet forum?

it is simply writing for attention .... positive or negative attention is not the issue ... just attention :o

You're right JD. Quite sad really.

Edited by bino

Some people are taking this all a bit too seriously.

Weho............you are winning.

.....and he's making me chuckle too John. Keep it up Weho, you are right in what you've just said. Your comments are so apt and erudite.

One thing Ive always wondered, In places like Soi Chaiyapoon, ARE YOU allowed to park in front of someones place or not? Is it their part of the Soi in front of their shop where its up to them if anyone can park there or not??

Soi Chaiyapun is an enigma in Pattaya. I remember when it was a dirt track ...and it still is to an extent as this soi was never "adopted" by the Local Authority. It floods during the rainy season, there are no road drains; some of the restaurants and bars can become inundated and walking up the soi in 6 to 10" water can be a laugh!!!

So, as far as ownership goes, there isn't any. Finders keepers...but if you do confront an irate mamasan, and park your car, then be prepared for some repair work when you return to your car.

On the "adopted" roads, the roads are not owned by the businesses, bars or restaurants....but parking is still at your own risk. Occasionally, the "Kohn Daeng" (Municipal Police) will travel round the town with a pickup truck and confiscate all of the chairs and bar stools intruding onto the public roads......but the bamboo telegraph springs to life and the chairs and bar stools are rescued until the coast is clear again........much like the hawkers on Jomtien Beach! Enjoy Pattaya. :o

Edited by Artisan

I boxing you.

This is rich...! You're now threatening ME with violence because you can't answer straightforward questions or engage in a discussion without fabrication, prevarication or vitriol?? Am I ruining your fun Weho?

Would you make the same threat to my face, or is this just more hypocrisy- a drama queen hiding behind the protective layer of an internet forum?

it is simply writing for attention .... positive or negative attention is not the issue ... just attention :o

Person #1/2: I've learned that you can't expalin satire... the person either gets it, or they don't get it... and of course I would run away like a litlte ninny... I no boxing you!! And yes, I LOVE the attention, and you've given me more... its like fiber to me... But what is sadder: my alledged attention-seeking, hypocrisy, or YOU'RE PROVEN falling into the trap of responding to it?

It's really quite sad. Indeed, it's sad. Why would you want to respond to things you're so against? Why not just move on to another thread? There are many other threads, most of them, admittedly, are far more interesting and informative than anything I've written... why do you find me so fascinating? Can you at least admit that? Now go get a book that explains satire, and report back to us what it is.

And to the nice people who said friendly things, that's most kind of you... this board should be a place to get information, and sometimes have a little friendly fun once in a while.

Edited by Weho

Have you seen the Thai guy with his whistle on Second Road at the rear of Mikes Department Store?

He assists large groups of Chinese tourists to cross the road in the pedestrian crossing.

He bravely walks out onto the crossing, blows his li'l whistle for all it is worth, waves the Chinese group onto the crossing and then somehow gets them across whilst cars and motor cycle scream every which way around them....none of them stopping.

It's amazing how so many pedestrian put so much faith into a li'l whistle.

Have you seen the Thai guy with his whistle on Second Road at the rear of Mikes Department Store?

He assists large groups of Chinese tourists to cross the road in the pedestrian crossing.

He bravely walks out onto the crossing, blows his li'l whistle for all it is worth, waves the Chinese group onto the crossing and then somehow gets them across whilst cars and motor cycle scream every which way around them....none of them stopping.

It's amazing how so many pedestrian put so much faith into a li'l whistle.

...and what about the parking attendant whose beat is at the corner of South Road and the entry soi beside Tukcom? I was turning left into the soi from South Road behind several other slow moving cars. He was blowing his pea for all it was worth. I lowered the window and, laughingly, put my index finger to my lips and made a "Shh" sound. I realise that I had also touched my nose at the same time so he looked at his whistle, stuck it up a nostril and proceeded to blow just as noisily as before!!! Who was taking the p1ss out of whom.....I wonder. :o

I boxing you.

Person #1/2: I've learned that you can't expalin satire... the person either gets it, or they don't get it... and of course I would run away like a litlte ninny... I no boxing you!! And yes, I LOVE the attention, and you've given me more... its like fiber to me... But what is sadder: my alledged attention-seeking, hypocrisy, or YOU'RE PROVEN falling into the trap of responding to it? Sums it up nicely doesn't it?

It's really quite sad. Indeed, it's sad. Why would you want to respond to things you're so against? Why not just move on to another thread? There are many other threads, most of them, admittedly, are far more interesting and informative than anything I've written... why do you find me so fascinating? Can you at least admit that? Now go get a book that explains satire, and report back to us what it is.

And to the nice people who said friendly things, that's most kind of you... this board should be a place to get information, and sometimes have a little friendly fun once in a while.

At least an open and frank admission .....

now .. are you really in Thailand? or did you just get to visit it once? or never?

Edited by jdinasia

My top two Pattaya Pet Peeves, starting with #2:

#2) Farangs who complain about farangs in Pattaya

and my Number One Top Pattaya Pet Peeve is:

#1) Farangs in Pattaya !

:D

(smiley added to show that this was meant to be humorous)

Jai yen yen everybody ! :o

#1 Can't get a decent feed after a night out when returning to soi 2 at 7.00am in the morning. Only 7/11 crap. Sub-ways closed, Restaurant closed. KFC closed. Can't even get a Maccas happy meal. Go figure!!

#2 Have to argue with all the drivers about a price to get back soi 2 at 6.30am in the morning. And they don't even have aircon or sick bags.

Soundman.

weho you have hit the nail on the head

that whistle blowing drives me nuts ,,,,

i wonder if the attendent takes his whistle home with him and whistles orders at the wife ????

It's his freekin' job that he gets paid 4000 baht a month for, you think he wouldn't like the opportunties that you have had in your privilaged life ?

You try to belittle Thai people, why ?

You wanna swap places with him?

Get to blow a whistle all day long!!! Live in Thailand permanantly!!!! Trick question I think. Hmmmm, I'd do it, if I get to keep the whistle. :o

whats 3-5 on your list then weho ??////

We'll, I've already given the bonus, so that's really my #3, and #4 I don't care to share, cause it's way too personal...

#5: I guess it has to be Baskin Robbin's pricing: 55 baht for their "GIANT" single cone, which is really a small size... and the fact that a cone is 55 baht at Carrefour in Pattaya, but the identical cone is only 35 baht at the Food Court at the Impact Center north of Bangkok, cause there's more adjacent competition from other ice cream retailers. It should be the same price everywhere, and they shouldn't refer to it as "GIANT" size when it isn't... and the picture they show of the "GIANT" cone has ice cream overflowing from all sides of the cone, but the one they deliver is a perfectly shaped SMALL ball of ice cream... so perfectly shaped, that I'm told British scientists actually use it to calibrate their instruments.

Yep, that's #5.

Anyway, back to my point. This is nothing compared to India, where driving in bumper to bumper traffic and everyone has his hand down on the horn nonstop.

They're pretty heavy on the horns in Manila too.

Pray tell- what was it about Thailand that made you decide to move here?

That's a great question, and a question a lot of us should probably be asking ourselves.

People start to view Thailand in a different light after being there too long. A "holiday" back to their country of origin is probably the best way to bring things back into perspective.

Edited by tropo

Motorbike taxis don't bother me if they don't have a basket I can usually hang on to what I am carrying without a problem. Only trouble with them nowadays is you are made to wear those utterly useless excuses for helmets. I always felt safer without anything on my head. If you think Pattaya motorbike taxis are bad you should try the ones in Ha Noi.

I never use motorbike taxis, but what would concern me the most would be wearing a helmet that thousands of other people have used.

It would make a lot of sense to bring a cap if you chose to ride one.

Edited by tropo

#1 Can't get a decent feed after a night out when returning to soi 2 at 7.00am in the morning. Only 7/11 crap. Sub-ways closed, Restaurant closed. KFC closed. Can't even get a Maccas happy meal. Go figure!!

You consider KFC and McDonalds to be decent food :o

I hear the food upstairs at Tops supermarket is quite nice and served 24 hours a day. Gotta be better than that American excrement.