Mass Transit System

p1p

From the Bangkok Post 30/06/04

Chiang Mai's mass transit scheme agreed in principle

The Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning was assigned to study and decide which system is best.

Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit said the study is expected to be completed in two months, and the people of Chiang Mai will have a say in the matter.

Deputy government spokesman Torpong Chaiyasarn said a referendum is likely to be held to decide which transit system will be built.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a Chiang Mai native, suggested an elevated monorail system in outer areas and a subway system in inner areas, Mr Torpong said.

The mass transit project for Chiang Mai is likely to cost five billion baht.

The government has so far approved 1.84 billion baht for the province under its master development plan for the upper North. About 5.25 billion baht has been approved for development schemes in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Lamphun.

Government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair said Mr Thaksin also wanted the construction of a night safari park in Chiang Mai to be speeded up. The 11-billion-baht project is being built on a 740-rai plot.

He added that the Australian government would be asked to give some koalas to the park.

Plodprasop Suraswadi, the permanent secretary of the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry, said he had proposed that the park be expanded by another 6,000 rai to include a camp for up to 200 elephants. The scheme needed no environment impact assessment study because there would not be any construction, he added.

He would also ask the Agriculture Ministry, which plans to build an aquarium, to relocate the facility to the night safari park, if its expansion was agreed.

What the ###### does mass transit have to do with elephants, koalas, aquariums and night safari parks anyways... :o

Well if you are the owner/developer or a tourist facility, as it would would appear is the Thai Minister of Agriculture, then you would most certainly want to see mass transit depositing visitors to your doorstep.

I can't help but cringe every time this topic comes up... I think a 6th grader can figure out that there is no way any modern mass-transit system in Chiang Mai has a snowball's chance in ###### of even coming close to breaking even.. There is just not enough people and no obvious flow of commuter traffic to make this worthwhile, and why even begin to think about subways and monorails when the minicipality has been unsuccessful for years to even provide a basic bus service...? Note that every bus service we ever had (including the current pink Ban Kwan Wiang ones) were/are far under-utilized, so now they're going to build subway or monorail things?? They can't fill a mid-sized bus but are planning a subway? Are they F'ing NUTS?!

Also, what journalist wrote down these figures... The Night Safari thingy costs 11 BILLION baht?! More than TWICE the alledged cost of a subway/monorail system? Excuse me?

God this is sad.

Thanks for posting. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

What the ###### does mass transit have to do with elephants, koalas, aquariums and night safari parks anyways...  :D

Well if you are the owner/developer or a tourist facility, as it would would appear is the Thai Minister of Agriculture, then you would most certainly want to see mass transit depositing visitors to your doorstep.

I hope everyone can get their cake, and eat it, too. :o

Well if you are the owner/developer or a tourist facility, as it would would appear is the Thai Minister of Agriculture
:D Not your native language? :D:D

They can't fill a mid-sized bus but are planning a subway?

Precisely. Take half the red songthaews off the road and you wouldn't have a traffic problem in the first place.

I think when they say they're going to compare the subway and monorail systems, they're going to see which one offers the greatest potential for kickbacks. As far as I can tell, virtually every public works project in Chiang Mai is iniiated according to that potential. The've re-done the front of Soi Wat U Mong three times in the last 18 months.

• 6 years later...

The article was written in 2004, folks. As was the original post.

It was and unfortunatley the OP is no longer with us due to a fatal motorcycle accident.

You can be pretty sure that whatever was decided in 2004 does not apply in 2011. Completely new government officials , how many times since then?, all with different ideas so it is not relevant to discuss matters that were posted 7 years ago, so I am closing this thread because of this and out of respect to P1P, I'm sure he would not be thinking to well of us for discussing something he posted all that time ago. :(

///CLOSED///