Purchase Of Entertainment Equipment

TheWalkingMan

Here is the situation and I hope that one of the members here can offer some insight/suggestions.

The girlfriend’s family is from Issan and sing/dance at those shows held around the area. They perform with the typical shows which many of you may have attended such as weddings, funerals and other celebratory occasions. They have been doing this for years. The work comes in spurts so the income is not steady and they do not own their equipment.

An opportunity has come up for them to purchase the show equipment consisting of the stage, loudspeakers, mics, electone, mixer and computer full of music. I probably missed some equipment items. With the purchase comes the use of the current show name and the retiring owner will accept phone call reservations/inquiries and pass the info to the GF’s family. Of course potential clients will call the GF’s family also, but some may only have the retiring owner’s number. Over time all the calls should eventually come to the GF directly. She says that the show has a strong name and getting bookings should not be a problem.

My GF told me that the retiring owner called her father and offered the business to him as they have known each other for many years and he wanted to sell to someone he trusted.

Anyway, the guy wants 180k baht for the equipment mentioned above and the GF asked me to kick in 100k. Does the 180k price sound reasonable? I am trying to get a handle on the age/condition of the equipment. I am operating under the assumption that the equipment does the job, but maybe 5+ years old.

For those who have attended or thrown a party with this type of entertainment, how were the shows, how would you improve them? If you paid for a show, how much did you pay? What did you get? Were you satisfied?

Thanks for the help,

TheWalkingMan

The value of used audio equipment & accessories is totally dependant on brand name, condition, & deamnd for such within the market.

New microphones are worth anything from 200B to 100,000B. A good brand name in worhing condition such as a Shure SM 58 will be worth about 1,500 - 2,500B. If the microphones are a recognised brand make sure they are not copies from taiwan & have genuine inserts in them.

Second hand generic thai brand speakers are basically worthless second hand. Professional level thai brand speaker components are worth about half their current retail value.

Second hand thai brand amplifiers in working condition are worth about one third of their current retail price.

Mixer second hand thai brand about 30% of retail value.

Staging scaffold (nung lahn) in good condition about 900B per set.

Second computer - nearly worthless. Complete Karaoke collection of MP4's about 5,000B.

Promises of ongoing work - worthless without a contract that has specific dates & functions booked. People always use this as a sweetner for a deal - however, rarely follow through.

Typical wedding (not HiSo) spends about 1,500B - 7,500B on the entertainment. You will need a truck & staff to lug around the equipment, setup, packup.

If you want a more detailed run down on this purchase & or up-coming gigs, feel free to PM me. This is what I do for a living. Happy to give advice.

Cheers,

Soundman.