Test and go hotel requirements.

The following is on KLM website. I have booked a Sha plus hotel for the first night and had my Thai Pass issued.

My next 4 nights are at August Suites and am now wondering whether this is OK.

Entry Permission: Passengers who have registered for the 'Test and Go' programme must hold the following documents:

1. A vaccination certificate proving the passenger is fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
  2. Passengers must hold proof of having pre-booked and paid for an RT-PCR test on day 1 and an antigen test (self-test) on day 5 after arrival and must stay in pre-arranged accommodation while awaiting their result, under the 'Exemption from Quarantine (EQ)' scheme. They must hold proof of having pre-booked and paid for a hotel room on day 1 and day 5 after arrival. These hotels may be different but must be certified under SHA++, AQQ, or AHQ.
    •  Passengers must stay in their booked accommodation until receiving the test results within one day. Passengers who receive a negative result from their day 1 test may leave their accommodation until their day 5 test. Passengers who receive a positive result will be referred to a healthcare facility for medical treatment at their own expense.

Passengers must have completed the vaccination with a vaccine approved by Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health or the World Health Organization (WHO) at least 14 days prior to departure.

Mor Chana is the official procedure. It is working better than it was, but it's still not great. You should get the notification to upload your test results around day 7/8. If you don't see the pop up, check the notification tab in the app, and it might be there. Some people have been able to get their status updated by emailing their results to the first hotel if the notification doesn't come through.

FWIW since they added the notification/link to Mor Chana, it's always worked for me, but it is mostly just luck.

• Like 1

I have had my Thai Pass issued and had covid a couple of weeks ago. I have had a covid recovery certificate issued by a doctor and wonder what happens when I arrive at the hotel.

Do I give them the recovery certificate at the time of the pcr test? I wonder how they react to a recovery certificate and then maybe testing positive due to the fact you are advised not to take a pcr test within 90 days of being positive due to remenants of the old infection still being detectable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mlkik said:

I have had my Thai Pass issued and had covid a couple of weeks ago. I have had a covid recovery certificate issued by a doctor and wonder what happens when I arrive at the hotel.

Do I give them the recovery certificate at the time of the pcr test? I wonder how they react to a recovery certificate and then maybe testing positive due to the fact you are advised not to take a pcr test within 90 days of being positive due to remenants of the old infection still being detectable.

A real concern . Maybe say nothing and wait for the test results and if positive show your recovery cert ?  Also take rapid flow tests prior to your departure and if negative take pics .

The Thai insurance does not cover asymptomatic cases , I believe , however I was quoted insurance that does include the cover for a premium of £260 for 30 days but is also a travel insurance that has many areas of cover . So either say 2k baht for a compliant Thai ins; or 10,000 baht ish for a western / UK ins; but you would avoid big hospital bills . The dilemma or mystery is , how long after recovering from covid is the virus detectable from a pcr test and will the Thai meds accept a recovery letter if you test positive ? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, superal said:

A real concern . Maybe say nothing and wait for the test results and if positive show your recovery cert ?  Also take rapid flow tests prior to your departure and if negative take pics .

The Thai insurance does not cover asymptomatic cases , I believe , however I was quoted insurance that does include the cover for a premium of £260 for 30 days but is also a travel insurance that has many areas of cover . So either say 2k baht for a compliant Thai ins; or 10,000 baht ish for a western / UK ins; but you would avoid big hospital bills . The dilemma or mystery is , how long after recovering from covid is the virus detectable from a pcr test and will the Thai meds accept a recovery letter if you test positive ? 

You are supposed to upload your recovery certificate when you apply for the Thai Pass. There is a section for it in the same part as for vaccinations. 

About 80% of people start testing negative on PCR about 2 weeks after any symptoms pass (except the cough which can linger), or 2 weeks in general if they are asymptomatic, but for some people it can take a couple of months. Even if you have repeatedly tested negative, anyone can occasionally still be positive for up to 3 months post-infection, and for some people up to 6 months. 

Thailand accepts recovery certificates from 14-90 days after they were issued. Most countries issue recovery certificates 7-14 days after infection.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mlkik said:

Did you upload your recovery certificate when you applied for the Thai Pass? If not, you need to reapply and add it.

You can also email it to the hotel and ask them to forward your certificate to the hospital. When you arrive, double check that they have definitely informed the hospital, and insist they do it then if they haven't. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 5:23 AM, chai333 said:

thanks uj for your advice

Is there an official procedure for reporting the day 5 RTK test result

(Many posters have said MorChana doesn't work)

I don't know anyone that has bothered to report the antigen test, Thai or Farang, zero reprecussions.

2 hours ago, superal said:

The dilemma or mystery is , how long after recovering from covid is the virus detectable from a pcr test

There is no definite answer to that. Mostly, after two or three weeks, a PCR test will give a negative result. However, fragments of dead virus can be present that can flake off and result in a positive test months later in some cases. This is more likely to happen if you have inflammation from another unrelated infection of something else.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

Would be interested in this too. 

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Yes

The insurance company was SAGA UK and the quote was for 1 months travel insurance that included covid , asymptomatic covid testing in Bangkok resulting in hospitalisation , plus pre-existing conditions that were declared by me . The premium was £157 .  I did phone them for clarity on the positive testing in Thailand and after a 10 minute conversation with the rep , he convinced me that the policy would cover for asymptomatic cases . I am not 100% convinced and I will contact again and request confirmation in an email cos you know the reputation of some insurance companies . If you are interested I suggest you ask them for a quote and follow up with the same enquiry . Of course the cheaper AXA insurance which came in at about 1750 baht is tempting but when I left Thailand recently , I was talking to an English guy in Suvarnibhumi airport who told me his pal visited him from the UK and tested positive on arrival in Bangkok , was hospitalised for 2 weeks at a cost of nearly £5000 .  

If I was a tourist I would not be taking a chance on visiting Thailand at the moment because of the testing doubts but I am a long term dweller in Thailand with family .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Thanks for that, superal; have also sent them an enquiry. Don’t mind paying a premium for peace of mind, esp given the high level of covid in the UK at the moment. 

Why the Ha Ha Dr Jack?  daveAustin response is one to be considered because it mitigates the risk of a huge hospital bill .Also I have 2 pals who will opt for the same . The bonus being that it is a travel insurance which covers other eventualities . However if you are on a tight budget , I can understand opting for the local Thai insurance . £250 could be well be worth outlay and gives you peace of mind .

I will contact the SAGA ins; tomorrow to make certain that the asymptomatic covid  hospitalisation is covered and get it in writing/email 

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is no definite answer to that. Mostly, after two or three weeks, a PCR test will give a negative result. However, fragments of dead virus can be present that can flake off and result in a positive test months later in some cases. This is more likely to happen if you have inflammation from another unrelated infection of something else.

Fragments of the dead virus ?  is that not what is involved in the astrazenica vaccine 

41 minutes ago, superal said:

Fragments of the dead virus ?  is that not what is involved in the astrazenica vaccine 

It is valid to bring that up as some vaccines do interfere with tests designed to identify the disease they protect against. Fortunately, in the case of the Covid-19 vaccines, this does not seem to be a problem. While not sure, I think the reason is that Covid-19 tests that look for active infection are not based on blood samples. The dead viral fragments from some Covid vaccines that trigger the immune response do not cause bits of virus to hang around where they can eventually be picked up in nasal or throat swabs. If anyone else knows of an alternative explanation, I would be interested in being educated.

Perhaps, the continued presence of dead viral fragments post recovery from an active Covid infection actually help to keep the immune response high. On the other hand, it is also possible it could be one of the triggering mechanisms for long haul Covid. There is no much we can hypothesise about, and so much we still really do not know.

• Like 2