Raw Pork

eyespan

:o I am waiting in anticipation of a night of "toilet marathon". Got fed the usual disgusting looking meat salad (which usually turns out to be quite nice) by my GF only to discover it contains raw pork!

I was always under the impression that pork is never safe raw......woe is me!

Anybody survived this ordeal before, please tell me I am not gonna die!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o I am waiting in anticipation of a night of "toilet marathon". Got fed the usual disgusting looking meat salad (which usually turns out to be quite nice) by my GF only to discover it contains raw pork!

I was always under the impression that pork is never safe raw......woe is me!

Anybody survived this ordeal before, please tell me I am not gonna die!

quickly start drinking beer chang

I ve eaten raw pork on at least two occasions at wedding ceremonies here in thailand.

had a lot of chilies mixed in with it and was accompanied by warm chang and lao khow.

seemed to be standard for the boys as they were dicing up the pigs for the feast.

I didn t get the runs and i am still here now.

:o

:D Ha ha ha ha :D

I am gonna live after all..... Gonna go get a belly full of beer Chang first :D Would heineken do? Cause I still got a carton stacked in the fridge. :D

Drink a few dozen of those and in a few hours let us know if the pork caused you a headache. :o

I think after eating raw pork having the trots might be the last of your worries, read this

What Trichinosis Is . . .

Trichinosis is an excruciatingly painful disease that is among the most dreaded of human afflictions. It can result in death when infection is heavy--although fewer than 2 percent of all reported cases are fatal.

This disease is caused by very tiny parasitic worms called trichinae (Trichinella spiralis). It is not catching. People get trichinosis when they eat raw or undercooked meat that contains trichinae.

The threadlike worms spend most of their lives curled up inside a protective capsule or cyst in muscle tissue. When the meat is eaten, the digestive juices in the stomach free these encysted worms or larvae from their capsules. They then pass into the small intestine where they develop into mature males and females in about 2 days. After mating, the females give birth to large numbers of young (called larvae), starting about the sixth day after infection. One female will give birth to between 1,000 and 1,500 larvae. These microscopic young worms penetrate the lining of the intestines, pass into the lymphatic system or the blood, and are carried to the heart. From there they are carried throughout the body by the circulating blood. They have an attraction for muscular tissue, so they invade the striated (voluntary) muscles of the body. They grow there for about 3 weeks, then coil up tightly, and in about 30 days develop a protective capsule--to complete the cycle (fig. 1).

The worms can remain in this encysted form for many years--ready to infect any mammal that might eat the muscle tissue.

Trichinae are about 1/250 of an inch long when they are born. When they reach the muscle tissue, they grow to a length of 1/25 inch, coiling up in a cyst about 1/50 inch long. When they develop into adult males and females in the intestine, they are about 1/8 and 1/6 inch long, respectively.

Look on the brightside only 2% of cases are fatal when they end up in your joints it's like having arthritis no relief from the pain no matter how many Chang beers you drink.

In Isaan it is quite common for people to have tape worms. Medicine can be bought

over the counter anywhere. Once the medicine has killed it, the tip comes out and then it is extracted with a pair of chop sticks, no ####. Sometimes they are as long as two meters in extreme cases. The only raw anything I eat is fish and, er,

that other delicacy.

You want to read the autobiography of Squirmin Herman the Worm. Gives you his history, his family tree, his Anatomy. How to live with him, all about the worm Deli, Worm facts, where is fun place is, cant live without him you have an added plus which gives you more Worm links. WWW.urbanext.uiuc.edu/worms/

You mean I am gonna pass this tri..... whatever to whoever EATS ME?

All depends on which bit of you she eats.

If you take my advice never eat any raw meat here or come to that meat that is not properly cooked, beef contains hook worms,roundworms, whipworms and of course our old friend the tapeworm the longest internal parasite known.

These for the fashion consious amongst us come in different colours so you can match them to your clothes colour.

Whats for supper, Larb?

A little more light reading on the joys of eating raw meat especially pork.

Human Symptoms . . .

The disease caused by trichinae occurs during the time the larvae are being produced and encysting in the muscle tissue. In many light infections, the host is never aware of the condition. However, once infection is established, evidence of this infection--in the form of the encysted larvae--will persist until the muscle tissue is destroyed.

The number of live trichinae in the meat that is eaten usually determines the seriousness of the disease. Eating moderate amounts of lightly infected raw or imperfectly cooked meat may produce no illness or only slight illness. But eating even small quantities of undercooked or raw meat that contains large numbers of trichinae may produce a painful and serious case of trichinosis.

If the initial infection is relatively heavy, a person may have an upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms within 24 to 48 hours. However, these symptoms are often absent.

The symptoms characteristically associated with trichinosis occur during the period of migration and encystment. This starts about a week after infection and may continue for a month or more. When thousands of young trichinae travel through the body at one time, the person may have muscular pain, rising fever, headache, and prostration. When the larvae reach the muscles, other symptoms develop. These include swelling of the face and other parts of the body, sore eyes, hemorrhages, fever, and difficult breathing. Stiffness of the muscles may occur in severe infections. Some patients may have symptoms of heart disease or symptoms of brain disorder, such as delirium or coma.

Bacon sandwich anyone?

And wheeeeeere does the tip come out from?

You now have two guesses, to give you a clue it's not your mouth.

You will see it as it comes out in segments, now I bet you won't be in a hurry to eat raw pork again.

Maerim you are just jokin aren't you? He he......

Hubby comes home from a hard day at the office and sits down to his dinner he notices that his wife has eaten a lot she says darling I'm eating for two now.

Darling that's wonderful when is the baby due?

What baby? she says I have a tapeworm.

That's a joke but intestinal parasites are most certainly not, you most likely will be OK but you want to be very careful before tucking to what the Thai's eat.

Years ago I was up country in a village and the food came out and I asked what this meat was, baby buffalo I was told no way I said as the bones were very small I thought my Thai at the time was not that good and thought no more about it.

A few days later I was there and they said that baby buffaloes were being cooked round the back of the house, me, expecting a large spit and at least a calf on it, wrong again, what they were cooking on a barbeque was the feotus of buffalo when the cow was slaughtered it was pregnant.

At least they had the decency to cook it.

I think after eating raw pork having the trots might be the last of your worries, read this

What Trichinosis Is . . .

Trichinosis is an excruciatingly painful disease that is among the most dreaded of human afflictions. It can result in death when infection is heavy--although fewer than 2 percent of all reported cases are fatal.

This disease is caused by very tiny parasitic worms called trichinae (Trichinella spiralis). It is not catching. People get trichinosis when they eat raw or undercooked meat that contains trichinae.

The threadlike worms spend most of their lives curled up inside a protective capsule or cyst in muscle tissue. When the meat is eaten, the digestive juices in the stomach free these encysted worms or larvae from their capsules. They then pass into the small intestine where they develop into mature males and females in about 2 days. After mating, the females give birth to large numbers of young (called larvae), starting about the sixth day after infection. One female will give birth to between 1,000 and 1,500 larvae. These microscopic young worms penetrate the lining of the intestines, pass into the lymphatic system or the blood, and are carried to the heart. From there they are carried throughout the body by the circulating blood. They have an attraction for muscular tissue, so they invade the striated (voluntary) muscles of the body. They grow there for about 3 weeks, then coil up tightly, and in about 30 days develop a protective capsule--to complete the cycle (fig. 1).

The worms can remain in this encysted form for many years--ready to infect any mammal that might eat the muscle tissue.

Trichinae are about 1/250 of an inch long when they are born. When they reach the muscle tissue, they grow to a length of 1/25 inch, coiling up in a cyst about 1/50 inch long. When they develop into adult males and females in the intestine, they are about 1/8 and 1/6 inch long, respectively.

Look on the brightside only 2% of cases are fatal when they end up in your joints it's like having arthritis no relief from the pain no matter how many Chang beers you drink.

This is true,when I was young,there were a lot of wild hogs in northern california,still a lot of em,and a family killed some and made jerkey from them and a couple died and all were infected.

Never eat raw pork here as they feed the hogs garbage,and thats where the get the trichinosis,,if a hog was only fed grains and cooked food then it is supposed to be free of it. Thats why all market hogs are not fed garbage in the states and no one is allowed to sell garbage hogs.

But the up side is pork only needs to be brought to 130F degrees internal temp to kill the worms., but eating any raw meat is dangerous,the worms in raw fish can settle in the brain and causer a lot of trouble,and all fish have a number of different worms and worm eggs in the flesh.

A friend of mine was in Costa Rica years ago and had a serious run in with a worm. He had a pulsating, throbbing thing inside his hand. The locals told him the only way to get it was to 'fish' it out with a bit of raw hamburger.

A bit of raw burger was placed over the opening on his hand and a piece of duct tape placed over that. Once he felt it come to the surface (understand that his hand was swollen to the size of a grapefruit) the tape was ripped off and a pair

of pliers was used to pull it out. Fun with third world creepy crawlies.

:o Oh yeah get a load of this. Once I was fishing in Pulau Aur Malaysia and my thumb got nicked by a scad while I was baiting the little bugger on my hook.

The thumb subsequently swell and the wound became crusty with dried up pus for a week. I went to see a doctor in Singapore for some anti-inflamatories as I thought that was all it was... a bad case of inflamation.

The doctor upon knowing how I got injured got a scalpel and cut a small hole in the crusty part. Woooh!!! Within the pus mixed blood soup that oozed out, were little white worms!!! I mean gosh! They just came out POP POP POP at least 20 of them while I stared in disbelief! :D Shudder......

More good news about parasites, this is from a doctors notes in Belize.

I recently removed a bot fly larva a size of a large grape, from the scalp of a 18 yr.old patient. He gave history of being bitten by a mosquito, while visiting Belize two weeks before. He had cervical lymphadenopathy, and small hole in the scalp with bleeding. Patient's mother was very observent watching the mouth of the larva coming to the surface for a breath. Under local anesthesia a cruciate incision was key in delivering the 5 cm size Bot larva using a hemostat.

This young man had not even ben eating raw pork either.

They generaly lay their eggs on other mamals horses etc but I suppose they are not proud.