1st Renewal Of Retirement Visa

I'm trying to get retirement renewal via the 65k/mon process.

I've read several people say if you're an American you need a statement from the US Embassy stating that you have this level of income to show immigration. Others have said that the Embassy letter is not enough, but you must show "paperwork" to immigration.

Of course I assume that means I need to have financial statements from overseas sources. My question is how far back does that paperwork have to go, 3 months? 6 months? the whole year?

I'd aprreciate it if anybody has any experience or knowledge on this.

Thanks ahead of time.

You need the letter from Embassy - if Immigration asks for evidence you should have some kind of paperwork to back up your claims - be it tax paperwork, pension paperwork, bank statements or something else - there is no right or wrong or specific requirement and most people are not asked.

I've been through the process 4 times now -- the initial conversion from a non-b to a non-o visa and then three annual renewals. In all these times, I have presented the letter from the Embassy and have not been asked for any further verification.

Edited by lanny

I've been through the process 4 times now -- the initial conversion from a non-b to a non-o visa and then three annual renewals. In all these times, I have presented the letter from the Embassy and have not been asked for any further verification.

lanny, just for clarification is that letter from the U.S. Embassy?

The reason I ask is that the only reports (and have there been any recently?) of people being required to supply supplemental documentation directly to Thai Immigrations were people who were US citizens, since the U.S. Embassy letter is so (too?) easy to obtain.

It seems the U.S. Embassy provides a letter that merely is notarized, meaning the signature is witnessed and verified. Other embassies actually certify the income information, i.e. certify the content not merely the signature on the letter.

As I recall Sunbelt reported persons being asked at Suan Plu and I do not recall him saying there were all Americans.

As for the US Embassy procedure the fact is that you affirm the amount received per month and sign as subscribed and sworn to the Consular Officer of the US Embassy.

I do not know of any Embassy that certifies presented paperwork (although there may be some) - they only confirm you presented something on paper = they do not confirm its authenticity.

lanny, just for clarification is that letter from the U.S. Embassy?

The reason I ask is that the only reports (and have there been any recently?) of people being required to supply supplemental documentation directly to Thai Immigrations were people who were US citizens, since the U.S. Embassy letter is so (too?) easy to obtain.

It seems the U.S. Embassy provides a letter that merely is notarized, meaning the signature is witnessed and verified. Other embassies actually certify the income information, i.e. certify the content not merely the signature on the letter.

Yes, I am American so the letters have all been from the U S Embassy.

The us embassy letter for income is written by you and they notirize you signing of same. I present the notorized letter which is afixed to the SS statement. and the income written on the letter agrees with the SS report of monthly payments to me. I have used the same paper work for 4 years and make copy for Retirement visa application. As I dont update (consulate in CM charges quite a fee for this) I present a bank book to bring the total to 65000 baht per mo. The Thai immigration people told me to do this instead of going in every year for a notoary stamp. This year when I went in they said I didnt need to bring bank book next year just SS statement and consulate letter was enough.

The us embassy letter for income is written by you and they notirize you signing of same. I present the notorized letter which is afixed to the SS statement.

Sorry, I'm lost on what a(n) SS statement is? My only guess is Social Security. I'm 52 years old, so if it has something to do with Social Security, it won't relate to me. But if SS means something else. somebody help me out.

The easiest way is to take your embassy letter + your Thai bank bankbook (& photocopies) with at least 3 months showing the monthly deposits. That should be fine. They always like to see the money in a Thai bank as preferred.

...your Thai bank bankbook (& photocopies) with at least 3 months showing the monthly deposits...

That’s the first time I hear about the requirement of showing evidence of monthly deposits into the Thai bank account for an application for extension of stay for retirement based on income. Are you sure you got your facts right? So far, it has always been about evidence of income, not about evidence of inward remittances.

From Police Order 606/2549, paragraph 7.21 (pinned at the top of this forum):

Evidences of having income, such as pension or interest of saving money, or dividends etc.

--

Maestro

I really appreciate what everybody is adding. It's all important information. But in the end what I'm really hoing for "despite whatever paperwork... about how many months, whatever the paperork, do you think will/might be checked?"

Unless you are using the bank deposit method for retirement extension of stay they are not going to be interested in how many months of paperwork you have. The requirement is a letter from your Embassy of the 65k pension - it could have started the day you apply for the letter. If Immigration wants anything else it will likely just be some kind of confirmation that the Embassy figure is valid - not that you prove this over any period of time. You are asking for answers to questions that have no answers (and I know that does not make you happy but it is the way it is). The only way to know for sure is to apply - that is why it is important to time this early just in case of the unexpected (which could be you getting sick as well as unexpected requirements). In most case this proves to be a very routine experience and not worth all the worry many of us feel before the fact.

I want to thank everybody for their contributions. Everything said was of value, but in the end I'm going to get a letter from the embassy. Pray that Lanny is right, and if he's not I'll have proof of income for the 4 months previous to applying as prescribed by opalhort and chinthee (who looks remarkably like Rock Hudson).

And thanks to lopburi3 for getting the whole thread started and who ends with the sobering comfort "In most case this proves to be a very routine experience and not worth all the worry many of us feel before the fact."

Thanks to everybody

That’s the first time I hear about the requirement of showing evidence of monthly deposits into the Thai bank account for an application for extension of stay for retirement based on income. Are you sure you got your facts right? So far, it has always been about evidence of income, not about evidence of inward remittances.

There are several accounts in this forum of retirees being required to produce a bank letter and copy of passbook pages in addition to the embassy letter even when the 65k requirement is met in full. Although one or two members had assumed a need to make monthly transfers I can recall none who asserted this was a requirement so I support Maestro's literal comment.

I extended several times in Bangkok and bank letter/passbook WAS required. My quess is this was to show you were living off overseas income as evidence you were not working (although it appears some retirees have been granted work permits).

This year I got my extension at Korat office. After reading in this forum in an old thread that a bank letter/passbook was not needed, I asked the officer. Answer: Yes. The bank letter was filed but, unlike Bangkok, the passbook copies were returned.

Koratcat1, you just sent me a curveball...

Nobody has mentioned a "bank letter" up to this point. I thought they were only for 800k accounts. Is this a slip of the tongue or did I miss something?

My understanding, and of others on this forum, is that when obtaining a first or subsequent annual extension for retirement using 65k/month income you also have to provide a very recent thai bank letter confirming you have an account (costs 200baht) and provide copy of passbook. Bit belt and braces. Doesn't matter how much is in the account, or how much you bring in, or how frequently, but they want to see some activity. Bringing money into the country is, after all, the sole pupose of allowing retirees.

Anyway that is what I do because that is what Suan Phlu required. And now Korat. Not a big deal as my bank is no great distance from the immigration office and they do the letter while you wait.

I have read on this forum that there are those who do not have Thai bank a/c and have been able to get away with ATM slips as evidence of importing foreign funds.

However there are also those on this forum who say letter/passbook is not needed.

Maybe it varies by office.

Forewarned is forearmed

I've read several people say if you're an American you need a statement from the US Embassy stating that you have this level of income to show immigration. Others have said that the Embassy letter is not enough, but you must show "paperwork" to immigration.

Of course I assume that means I need to have financial statements from overseas sources. My question is how far back does that paperwork have to go, 3 months? 6 months? the whole year?

I'd aprreciate it if anybody has any experience or knowledge on this.

Thanks ahead of time.

Hi pascal. I did this last week... first application. I used Sunbelt to assist and went with one of their legals to Suan Plu Immigration office in Bangkok. Busy place. The process was straightforward. I needed to convert from a 'O' business Visa to a retirement visa.

I was required to provide a standard letter from the UK Embassy (proof of pension). I took 6 months UK bank statements and a letter from my pension provider (military). The Embassy checked my bank statements (my pension is paid into my UK bank) calculated the total in THB and I was short 10,000 THB per month. I was able to combine pension income with a lump sum of 140,000 THB, held in a Thai Bank (savings account). The Thai bank issued me with a standard letter for 100 THB saying ( I think) that the funds came from outside Thailand.

I presented my bank book, 2 4x6cm photos, passport and photocopies of 6 months previous pension receipts into my UK bank. This was not becaue it was a requirement but just in case I was asked to show supportive evidence.

If I leave the country I need to get a re-entry stamp at the airport otherwise you can apply for a single or multi-entry visa at Immigration. Since I don't know if I will go outside Thailand I opted to save money and not apply.

Application for further stay to spend the remainder of life in the

Kingdom of Thailand

Required Documents

1. Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)

2. Copy of passport

3. 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

4. 1,900 baht application fee

5. Financial Evidence:

1. Bank account pass-book, bank statement

2. Evidence showing reception of pension accompanied with Thai translation certified by the embassy or consulate of the country paying the pension

3. Evidence presenting other sources of income or evidence of money transferred from overseas

6. In cases of having dependents (husband / wife, children), the applicant must provide evidence indicating their relationship. Evidence must be translated into Thai and be certified by the embassy or consulate of the non-Thai citizens.

7. Health Certificate for those who apply for further stay after Nov. 14, 2002.

8. The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents, if necessary

Applications Consideration

1. A foreign national must be older than 50 years old.

2. Not be a prohibit person.

3. Financial documents state one of the following

1. A deposite of 800,000 baht at least , or

2. A minimum income of 65,000 baht a month , or

3. A deposite pluses (monthly income x 12) not less than 800,000 baht.

4. The Health Certificate must indicate that the applicant does not have the following serious conditions:

1. Leprosy

2. Turberculosis, TB

3. Elephantiasis, Filariasis

4. Drug addiction

5. Alcoholism

6. Syphilis

Whatever you do they can change all tomorrow also see number 8

this is from the Pattaya Immigration Website

Here we go again. Everyone gives info and everyone knows it better and no-one reads well.

The man was asking about a renewal and not a first application. Why do you give this man the first time requirements Blackjack. Rules as the 5 disseases.

And for a renewal of a one year visa, you don't need a letter of medical inspection anymore. Latest rules. If you apply for a renewal, you don't need to show finances three month ahead. That's only for the first timers. Sigh

If you are renewing, that means you've been living here for at least one year and (as required for someone who is retired) bringing you foreign sourced income into Thailand.

In most cases, that means the money has been going into your Thai bank account. Your bank passbook will show what you have been adding to the account, as well as your regular withdrawals for living expenses. The letter from the bank manager will confirm that the deposits were from a foreign source.

If you have a pension or some other regular source of income, either a letter confirming the monthly payments from the pension office or some other proof of income, would be useful support for the letter the embassy will notarize. The embassy is notarizing your signature on a document, however, and not verifying the validity of it's content. The US Embassy's American Citizen Services office has an email address: [email protected] which you can contact for help regarding this.

You can write the letter stating that you affirm that you are receiving a certain amount each month from whatever source, take it to the embassy, sign it front of the consular officer who will then notarize your signature.

If you claim to have a foreign source income, a record of the regular deposits made to your Thai bank account and/OR evidence that you have maintained a balance of at least B 800,000 for a minimum of three months prior to the application, would add credence to your claim and the Immigrations officer might reasonably expect to see it.

I am an American, and I got my retirement visa two months ago. The Thai Immigration office asked for a letter from the American Embassy. The American Embassy asked for no documentation at all. They had me fill in a form with a number for monthly income. They didn't check it at all. They asked me if I was aware there were penalties for lying, or something like that. I paid 1,300 baht, and they gave me the letter. All my efforts to gather and copy a year's work of paperwork were for nothing.

They also neglected to ask me for proof that I wasn't a criminal. The only other paper immigration wanted was a medical certificate, which I paid 80 baht for at the first "clinic" sign I saw on Rajaprarop Road. The person at the clinic only asked for my passport, and filled in the paper. No checkup, no questions.

I think this is all a way for several people to make some money.

Regarding renewal of retirement visa.

First, it isn't a "letter" that you need, it is a statement which you fill out regarding your monthly income which the consular officer notarizes. The US embassy provides the form. The officer does not verify the information about your income but simply verifies that you are the person who signs the notarized statement. You do not need to present supporting documentation. I suggest $2,500+ as an amount to met immigration's requirements.

Second, at immigration, you present your notarized statement as part of your renewal documents and get your new 1 year visa. I've never had immigration ask for supporting information.

I believe, but do not know, that other embassies provide the same service. All the best.

Regarding renewal of retirement visa.

First, it isn't a "letter" that you need, it is a statement which you fill out regarding your monthly income which the consular officer notarizes. The US embassy provides the form. The officer does not verify the information about your income but simply verifies that you are the person who signs the notarized statement. You do not need to present supporting documentation. I suggest $2,500+ as an amount to met immigration's requirements.

Second, at immigration, you present your notarized statement as part of your renewal documents and get your new 1 year visa. I've never had immigration ask for supporting information.

I believe, but do not know, that other embassies provide the same service. All the best.

Re. what I have highlighted. How many times,if any, have you extended after 12 months?

I am an American, and I got my retirement visa two months ago. The Thai Immigration office asked for a letter from the American Embassy...

They also neglected to ask me for proof that I wasn't a criminal. The only other paper immigration wanted was a medical certificate, which I paid 80 baht for at the first "clinic" sign I saw on Rajaprarop Road. The person at the clinic only asked for my passport, and filled in the paper. No checkup, no questions.

Waitasec. Are you saying that two months ago you went to a Thai Immigrations office in Thailand for a retirement extension and were required to submit a medical certificate?

I thought that the medical certificate was eliminated last October?

I thought that only if you applied for an OA retirement visa at a Thai Embassy in your home country, were the medical certificate and criminal record check still needed?

Where, in Thailand, did you go that required a medical certificate for a retirement extension?

Edited by wpcoe