Canadian Expat Pension Advice

Seeking some Canadian expat advice here.  I am looking into different Canada options once I retire fully in Canada and understand the Canadian CPP / OAS / GIS rules etc., pretty much.  I also understand the rules for getting a Non-Immigrant O-Long Stay Visa (or Retirement Visa) in Thailand.  But, I am weighing either to split 6 months each between Thailand/Canada or staying fully year-round in Thailand, although I understand I would not receive my full pensions / amounts specifically if doing so. 
For staying in Thailand year-round, from what I've gathered, you might not be able to retain a Canadian address / postal address to retain your full pensions being sent / deposited to?  And so, I guess I am asking if this is correct, and if so, wondering if there was another way to do this? (getting my full pensions while in Thailand year-round)  I have looked into this for a while and getting conflicting answers and so wanted to get some first-hand advice.  

Thanks in advance.   
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a Cdn expat in Pattaya since 2004. To leave Cda permenantly you must sever all/most ties with Canada and declare yourself a non-resident. Look up this form:NR73- DETERMINATION OF RESIDENCY STATUS
(LEAVING CANADA)

If you meet the requirements then you become a non-resident of Canada. (If you wish to remain outside Canada) Your Cdn income is subjected to a 25% withtholding tax. Not done yet...then you can look up form  Form NR5, application by a non-resident of Canada for a reduction in the amount of non-resident tax required to be withheld. My OAS/CPP and union pension are now tax free with 34k income. There's a lot of stuff to cover so do your homework. I've done all this with no outside help and it pays off.Your medical will expire in 6 months so get a policy in Thailand or you won't be covered. Contact me if you like..Dave

6 hours ago, jaideedave said:

I'm a Cdn expat in Pattaya since 2004. To leave Cda permenantly you must sever all/most ties with Canada and declare yourself a non-resident. Look up this form:NR73- DETERMINATION OF RESIDENCY STATUS
(LEAVING CANADA)

If you meet the requirements then you become a non-resident of Canada. (If you wish to remain outside Canada) Your Cdn income is subjected to a 25% withtholding tax. Not done yet...then you can look up form  Form NR5, application by a non-resident of Canada for a reduction in the amount of non-resident tax required to be withheld. My OAS/CPP and union pension are now tax free with 34k income. There's a lot of stuff to cover so do your homework. I've done all this with no outside help and it pays off.Your medical will expire in 6 months so get a policy in Thailand or you won't be covered. Contact me if you like..Dave

Thanks and yes, I have looked into it all (actually all memorized lol!)  That is why I was kind of looking for "ways around" the way it is now with the changes.  Especially with Bill C-21 passing a few yrs. ago and with The Canadian Border Services Agency and Revenue Canada computers connected now.   They never had been connected before and people got away with living abroad for yrs. straight/on end and used an address in Canada to bs Canada Revenue.....but not any more!  Worst thing is if you are caught doing that now, all (government) pensions stop right away, you need to fly back and meet with Revenue Canada and figure out how much you owe them back + interest + fines!!  So if anyone is doing that now, they better have a bit of savings tucked away to cover their asses as they do check.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Thanks and yes, I have looked into it all (actually all memorized lol!)  That is why I was kind of looking for "ways around" the way it is now with the changes.  Especially with Bill C-21 passing a few yrs. ago and with The Canadian Border Services Agency and Revenue Canada computers connected now.   They never had been connected before and people got away with living abroad for yrs. straight/on end and used an address in Canada to bs Canada Revenue.....but not any more!  Worst thing is if you are caught doing that now, all (government) pensions stop right away, you need to fly back and meet with Revenue Canada and figure out how much you owe them back + interest + fines!!  So if anyone is doing that now, they better have a bit of savings tucked away to cover their asses as they do check.  Thanks again!

Yes I did that for years. I was living here in Tland and filing my income tax online using a friends address. As soon as I found out about the CRA/CBS connection I filed for non-resident status.I dodged that bullet. All above board now actually glad I did. Anyone moving here must get some medical insurance. My CPP/OAS are deposited dirctly into my local bank account before the end of each month.