Cabinet notes development of Friendship Bridge 5 with nod to temporary crossing

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Government house deputy spokeswoman Traisuree told Thai Rath that a cabinet meeting discussed the ongoing work to build a bridge between Thailand and Laos.

This one will be between Bung Kan province and Bolikhamsai on the Laotian side. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

In order to start work on what will be known as Friendship Bridge 5, the engineers need to create a temporary crossing between the two countries between Ban Don Yom on the Thai side and Kuay Udom across the border.

The cabinet gave the nod to this and work will continue on the bridge that the Thai media noted will be an important trade link with Thailand's neighbor. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-06

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Looking forward to this bridge; living in Nong Khai it will make a trip to the cooler highland of the Plain of Jars much easier ???? 

It'll be a boon for that neglected area of Thailand.

I've noticed lots of work along the highways in the last few years.

I'd like to see the progress!

I've heard it'll connect to the New Chinese highway that runs to the Pacific (across Laos and through Vietnam) less than 400 kilometers!  

Beautiful beaches in Vietnam!

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Looking forward to this bridge; living in Nong Khai it will make a trip to the cooler highland of the Plain of Jars much easier ???? 

I thought that there was already a friendship bridge in Nong Khai built by the Australians many year ago

13 hours ago, RobU said:

I thought that there was already a friendship bridge in Nong Khai built by the Australians many year ago

There is indeed an Australian funded bridge, opened 28 years ago as Vientiane's lifeline to capitalism. Trucks, private vehicles and four daily train services are keeping the bridge busy but not overloaded. . 

What kills it is the sheer endless (Thai) paperwork, running for photocopies, carbon paper et al ...  This - endless - paper avalanche required to cross the border which results in totally unnecessary queues. 

The enclosed photograph shows the papers I need to LEAVE Thailand, there is no Lao document shown here. The Thais require:
- original blue car registration in your name
            - or power of attorney by car owner with:
                   - copy of car owner's ID card, both sides
                   - copy of car owner's blue house registration
- international transport permit (called car passport) 
- information of conveyance (entire car details*), issued in duplicate
- crew list (entire car details* plus driver details) 
- passenger list (entire car details* plus passenger details) 
- TM6 (arrival/departure card)
- your passport and in case you are a permanent resident of Thailand like me:
           - certificate of residence booklet
           - blue house registration 
           - brown/red police book
* entire car details are registration plate, chassis number and engine number

Upon clearing immigration you need to get a temporary export permit by the customs (duplicate as well) and then only you can leave Thailand. 

Upon arrival at the other end (Lao side) it requires only a Lao  arrival/departure card, your passport; they will issue a temporary import permit for the vehicle (laissez passer issued by them) and you're clear to go - five minutes and you're through. 

The Thai paperwork issuance, checking and rechecking is what kills the time and is a total nuisance to border crossers. 

In closing; as a very frequent border crosser I have all forms completed - I only need to add the date and the signature - and provide photocopied full sets of documents. I know which booth and where, what fees are to be paid (having correct change handy). Despite all this, it takes me at least still half an hour to get through the curtain of governmental inefficiency on the Thai side!

There are always a few newbies who get drowned in all those forms, papers, copies and what-have-yous! 

So, for me, travelling to Northeastern Laos, the new bridge will be a definite advantage as there will be simply fewer vehicles by more (documents) experienced driver ???? 

Documents to travel.jpg

Edited by Sydebolle
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

There is indeed an Australian funded bridge, opened 28 years ago as Vientiane's lifeline to capitalism. Trucks, private vehicles and four daily train services are keeping the bridge busy but not overloaded. . 

What kills it is the sheer endless (Thai) paperwork, running for photocopies, carbon paper et al ...  This - endless - paper avalanche required to cross the border which results in totally unnecessary queues. 

The enclosed photograph shows the papers I need to LEAVE Thailand, there is no Lao document shown here. The Thais require:
- original blue car registration in your name
            - or power of attorney by car owner with:
                   - copy of car owner's ID card, both sides
                   - copy of car owner's blue house registration
- international transport permit (called car passport) 
- information of conveyance (entire car details*), issued in duplicate
- crew list (entire car details* plus driver details) 
- passenger list (entire car details* plus passenger details) 
- TM6 (arrival/departure card)
- your passport and in case you are a permanent resident of Thailand like me:
           - certificate of residence booklet
           - blue house registration 
           - brown/red police book
* entire car details are registration plate, chassis number and engine number

Upon clearing immigration you need to get a temporary export permit by the customs (duplicate as well) and then only you can leave Thailand. 

Upon arrival at the other end (Lao side) it requires only a Lao  arrival/departure card, your passport; they will issue a temporary import permit for the vehicle (laissez passer issued by them) and you're clear to go - five minutes and you're through. 

The Thai paperwork issuance, checking and rechecking is what kills the time and is a total nuisance to border crossers. 

In closing; as a very frequent border crosser I have all forms completed - I only need to add the date and the signature - and provide photocopied full sets of documents. I know which booth and where, what fees are to be paid (having correct change handy). Despite all this, it takes me at least still half an hour to get through the curtain of governmental inefficiency on the Thai side!

There are always a few newbies who get drowned in all those forms, papers, copies and what-have-yous! 

So, for me, travelling to Northeastern Laos, the new bridge will be a definite advantage as there will be simply fewer vehicles by more (documents) experienced driver ???? 

Documents to travel.jpg

I see. what you mean is that the new bridge will be more convenient that the old one regarding time taken to cross the border because there might be less traffic rather than an easier route overall which is what I thought you meant. Thanks for the useful info.

On 4/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, RobU said:

I see. what you mean is that the new bridge will be more convenient that the old one regarding time taken to cross the border because there might be less traffic rather than an easier route overall which is what I thought you meant. Thanks for the useful info.

Indeed, so any non-Vientiane-bound traffic will be facilitated as further down the Mekong there are existing (mostly empty) border crossings in Nakhon Phanom/Thakhek, Mukdahan/Savannakhet and Chongmek/Vang Tau linking Ubol Ratchathanee with Pakse (albeit the bridge is 40kms east of the border). 

From Udon Thani to Northeastern Laos (and ultimately Northwestern Vietnam) will just have become more accessible with this additional bridge. 

• Like 1