Question RE non-O visa for retirement extension

Hi everyone,

I was in Thailand last December planning to apply for a retirement extension but some last minute emergency forced me to go back home before I could do that. I am back in Thailand now on a  1 month visa exemption and following your good advice from before I am planning to apply for a non-o visa at Jomtien Immigration and then for a retirement extension if possible. My question is, if I get this non-o visa can I leave the country for a few days and come back or do I have to be here  for the whole initial 2 months before I can apply for the retirement extension ? I wanted to make a couple of trips to Cambodia, Malaysia or some other nearby country for some sightseeing.

Thanks in advance for your replies

You can get a re-entry permit to keep the 90-day permission to stay intact when you make a trip outside Thailand. However, be aware that you do not get the Non O visa which immediately becomes a 90-day permission to stay when you apply. The visa application is taken under consideration, and you receive the 90-day Non Immigrant permission to stay about a month later. I would suggest you defer your trip (and applying for the necessary re-entry permit) until you have the final stamps. If really necessary, it is possible to do the trip during the under consideration period.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Jomtien Immigration requires you apply at least 15 days prior to the current expiration date of your Visa Exempt entry - the end of the 30 days you received upon arrival (if not enough time, you can apply for another 30 days at Immigration which will begin when your current stay expires, thus giving you time to apply for a fee of 1,900 baht).  There is no under consideration stamp.  The 15 days is required as they have to send the application to Bangkok for approval and it is Bangkok Immigration that takes the 15 days to review and approve the application. The fee for the Visa is 2,000 baht.

When Jomtien Immigration receives the approval, they will then place a 90 day permission to stay stamp in your passport.  After 60 days have elapsed, you can apply for the one year retirement extension which requires the same documents used to apply for the Non-Immigrant O Visa.  The fee is 1,900 baht.

You can get a Re-Entry permit which will expire on the current expiration date of your permission to stay.  Consequently, your return to Thailand must be before the expiration date.

I agree with the BitTrim in suggesting you forgo any trips out of Thailand until you receive your one year retirement extension unless it is absolutely necessary since you can do your sightseeing at anytime.  One never knows what may happen to delay a return such as accident or unexpected illness.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1