UK Tax Code

Have just had a letter fron the HMRC for 2022-2023 informing me of my tax code. It states I recieve 11622 State pension (I wish) which in reality I get just over half of this amount. Has any other citizen of the UK recieved similar and if so what did they do to correct the error. 

I had the same letter detailing my income for 22/23 tax year stating an incorrect state pension so i went to their website in an attempt to correct the figure. 

Well after numerous attempts i gave up but will try again in the near future.

It can be done on their website as i have had it corrected in the past but it is not an easy process.

What i can't understand is my state pension has no increases applied as i live in Thailand but this year as in the past it has an increase showing !!!

• Like 1

Hi thank you for your input. Its what I suspected. Its very hard to make right.. Having a devious mind do you think it has been done deliberately, knowing full well how hard it is to correct to artificially inflate the figures they are actually paying in pensions. We are after all one of the lowest paid in Europe and would probably be the lowest if it was not for this. 

Like you I have had no pension increase for 10 years whilst living in Thailand. I also know nobody or have even heard of anyone that receives 11.622 pounds a year UK  state pension. Thats 223.50 a week I wish. Just were they have got this figure from god knows.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:41 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

I had the same letter detailing my income for 22/23 tax year stating an incorrect state pension so i went to their website in an attempt to correct the figure. 

23 hours ago, khastan said:

I also know nobody or have even heard of anyone that receives 11.622 pounds a year UK  state pension.

With SERPS it may have been possible if you were never contracted out.

A couple of online news/info sites have been warning people to check coding notices for some weeks now. Also there has been news about HMRC basically falling short in their services and having huge backlogs of issues to resolve.

If you need the money I would try and contact them asap.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, khastan said:

Even without being contracted out I do not think anybody on the lower state pension receives anywhere near that amount.

Quick search found this and its for 3 years ago -

What is the maximum SERPS pension I can get?

The maximum additional state pension you can get in 2019/20 is £176.41 per week, but not everyone will get this amount, as it depends on factors such as how much you earned and for how long you were contracted in to SERPS.

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/life/pensions-retirement/what-is-a-serps-pension

So highly possible........

33 minutes ago, topt said:

Quick search found this and its for 3 years ago -

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/life/pensions-retirement/what-is-a-serps-pension

So highly possible........

Interesting I was not aware of this. I worked all my life up to 60. In total I had 44 years fully paid up contributions and was contracted out for a maximum of 10 years working for MB encouraged at the time by Thatchers government. It states serps is £10.17 per week but because |I was contracted out I loose £7.17 of that. It also states that serps was applicable to earnings from 6th April 1978 to 5th April 2002. After this it was replaced by something called the second state pension.

Edited by khastan

As per the first two posts, and others, I received my latest tax code notice a few days ago.

Following what the OPs said I checked my State Pension figure and yes, it's way too high.

The DWP payments every 4 weeks haven't changed for years.

Don't know why I never checked it before, assumed the computers at HMRC would have correct figures, my mistake.

Finally got online at their website, after much verifying and updating, and completed the part showing my weekly pension.

Reply promised within 15 days - waiting to see what comes and when!

• 1 month later...

Just an update.

Also entered on the HMRC website my tax code was wrong for the previous tax year, this was at the beginning of May, and was promised a reply by letter or phone call within 15 days.

Have still heard nothing to date!

Initially assumed delay of letter because of postal upset since Covid (still not sorted out).

Don't think HMRC will spend money on a phone call.

Anybody else heard or received anything on this matter?

20 hours ago, Ginkas said:

Just an update.

Also entered on the HMRC website my tax code was wrong for the previous tax year, this was at the beginning of May, and was promised a reply by letter or phone call within 15 days.

Have still heard nothing to date!

Initially assumed delay of letter because of postal upset since Covid (still not sorted out).

Don't think HMRC will spend money on a phone call.

Anybody else heard or received anything on this matter?

HMRC have a webchat service. It's very good. I used it to have my tax code corrected earlier in the year.

The adviser did it while we were chatting. Hours are 8am-7.30pm Monday to Saturday to speak to a "real" person..

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/ask-hmrc/chat/self-assessment

On 6/8/2022 at 1:43 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

HMRC have a webchat service. It's very good. I used it to have my tax code corrected earlier in the year.

The adviser did it while we were chatting. Hours are 8am-7.30pm Monday to Saturday to speak to a "real" person..

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/ask-hmrc/chat/self-assessment

Thanks for this heads-up, very useful to know for other tax-related matters as well given that it is no longer possible to message HMRC via the Govt Gateway.

This thread is by no means the first time I've read on here of HMRC adding insult to injury in the case of our perpetually-frozen State Pensions by tax-coding some of us as if we were in receipt of the full whack currently being paid to UK-based pensioners.

• Like 1