Provisional license available?

Is there a provisional license available? The tirak has been driving her Wave for decades but needs a lot of practice with the car. No way would she pass the road test today. I am wondering how the process works for students.

There's no provisional license for cars just need to be 18 year-old. 

Thais learn to drive at a driving school. 

Alternatively they can learn to drive on the road with someone as a passenger holding a 5 year Thai DL. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Alternatively they can learn to drive on the road with someone as a passenger holding a 5 year Thai DL. 

That is disappointing. I am still on the 2 year Thai license, despite the decades of previous experience.

We have been looking for a school but we are is rice country. The nearest mall in an hour away. Maybe I can find someone to drive with her.

17 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

If she couldn't pass whatever road test you are suggesting, why is she riding.

If you had kids, would you let them do this? 

Just another danger on the road to me.

Can not see this ending good.

Run run run.

You could not pass the road test your first time out either. That is the whole point of provisional licenses, supervised learning.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Who told you Thai's learn at a driving school? Who pays for the lessons?

Absolute nonsense. You obviously don't live rural outside of Bkk.

Many of the people on the sois in rice farming country have no licence nor insurance or understanding of the machine they are in control of.

They just get up and go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Many of the people on the sois in rice farming country have no licence nor insurance or understanding of the machine they are in control of.

They just get up and go.

Kwasaki said that above, thank you for reading. 

Yes, many here do not have licenses, particularly women. Hence the need to find someone with a 5 year license that she is comfortable with.

I would pay for lessons. Another teacher may help her relax and learn better

We are outside of Bangkok, way outside. Maybe further reading will give you a clue to how far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

That is disappointing. I am still on the 2 year Thai license, despite the decades of previous experience.

We have been looking for a school but we are is rice country. The nearest mall in an hour away. Maybe I can find someone to drive with her.

We have park areas and forest roads and minor roads around us which have been ideal for my daughter to learn to drive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

They just get up and go.

Your attitude is full of nonsense and you seem to know little of what you can do in Thailand. 

Driving schools outside the big cities are rare.

I think we have one within two districts.

Very few Thais here go through a driving school.

They learn how to open, start, hold the wheel, find the pedals, gear box if any and off we go.

I always wonder what these drivers are who ride a 6 cylinder limo on a highway going 40 km/h (25 mi). I think they are afraid of themselves.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

We have park areas and forest roads and minor roads around us which have been ideal for my daughter to learn to drive. 

That's about the level of learning that I have experienced.

Circling around a dusty sports ground.

Afraid to try a full break which I showed them and horrifies them :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Yes I taught my daughter to drive on quiet roads locally,  and then booked and travelled to a driving school. 

It was better for her learning from a Thai person. 

She passed first time the driving part was easy, she said she found the theory part the hardest.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

We have been practicing at the temple parking lot but I am hoping for something a bit more formal and scheduled. I think she would do better in Thai as well.

Fortunately she understands the road rules already with her bike license.  The car is much bigger, less responsive and less maneuverable. She is also a bit scared, but not as scared as the lane markers we are using. ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

We have been practicing at the temple parking lot but I am hoping for something a bit more formal and scheduled. I think she would do better in Thai as well.

Fortunately she understands the road rules already with her bike license.  The car is much bigger, less responsive and less maneuverable. She is also a bit scared, but not as scared as the lane markers we are using. ????

???? yeah I hate leaning people to drive. 

Practice, practice, practice and your daughter will be OK. 

Fortunately my daughter picked it up quickly and is a very good careful progressive driver now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Kwasaki said that above, thank you for reading. 

Yes, many here do not have licenses, particularly women. Hence the need to find someone with a 5 year license that she is comfortable with.

We are outside of Bangkok, way outside. Maybe further reading will give you a clue to how far.

Yes. Apologies. It was not your comment. I mis-read.

Cheers.

• Like 1