International Drivers Licence 10 Years Or 20 Years ?

chickencurry

Seen an ad in the Gazette from a company that issues international driving licenses for 10 years and 20 years (near Big C). Has anyone used this service, is it genuine? Was under the impression that int driving licences were only valid for one year at a time.

They are bogus. A real one, called an International Driving Permit (IDP), is issued by the country that issues your driver's license. It is not actually a license itself but is considered a translation of your valid license. They are good for one year.

that doesn't mean that some cop will not recognize it though if you just need something to flash and are willing to accept the risk.

Any insurance you might have probably would not be any good either using a bogus license.

thanks for that - thought it sounded too good to be true. A couple of friends here also thought it sounded dubious. Going back to my "home" country in a couple of months so will try for a genuine one there.

thanks for that - thought it sounded too good to be true. A couple of friends here also thought it sounded dubious. Going back to my "home" country in a couple of months so will try for a genuine one there.

no need to wait till you get to your home country apply for one on the net got mine in 7 days.

all you need is a valid driving license.

you scan the application form driving lincense (etc) you can get for 1 or 3 years only cost for 3 years is $125/us.

have rented cars in spain france u/k and thailand with it,even been stopped by MIB in udon and told it was ok,happy days

Edited by pattayadave

no need to wait till you get to your home country apply for one on the net got mine in 7 days.

all you need is a valid driving license.

you scan the application form driving lincense (etc) you can get for 1 or 3 years only cost for 3 years is $125/us.

have rented cars in spain france u/k and thailand with it,even been stopped by MIB in udon and told it was ok,happy days

You do not state your home country but--The Uk IDL is £7.50 for 1 year only issued by the AA. However you can apply out of country download the form :o

Everyone is talking this backwards..

An IDP is legal.. Usually 1 year but can be 3..

An IDL (international driving license) is not legal.. Its a translation of your home country license and doesnt mean much.

Of course Thai policemen really dont know and I have also successfully converted a IDL to a Thai DL at Phuket town.. No one here can work out the difference.

An International Driver's Permit is required for people driving in Thailand from countries which do not have a reciprocal arrangement about permission to drive on home-state licences and is a document that purports to prove that you held a valid driver licence in your home country at the date of the IDP's issue. Thailand has reciprocal arrangements with very few countries. Most of the posters on TV would require a valid and lawfully issued IDP in order to legally drive within Thailand. By law, drivers must carry both the IDP and their normal licence together. So when you go to the two-bob rental companies who want to keep hold of your licence as some sort of security, you are technically in breach when you drive (but police seem to accept one or the other). One of the several solutions is to had over an old (expired) IDP to the rental agent. A better solution is to rent from an agency that does not have this requirement.

If you are going to drive - make sure you have an IDP because if you have an accident, and you do not have an IDP, you will be 1) uninsured and 2) subject to a penalty.