How much (health) massage is too much?

RickG16

I try to get a massage every couple of weeks. Much needed after playing sports and hours of desk work.

I think the most I've had was a 90 minute massage, but was considering the benefits of getting 2x 1 hour, or even 3 hours in a row! (With different masseuses of course).

Is there such thing as too much massage? Has anyone had a few hours on one day, and if so how did they feel the following day?

Cheers

Edited by RickG16
  • Confused 1

on holidays I get up to 6h daily (usually 3x2h, but also 2x3h) for up a week.

I try to get it from only one, the best possible, therapist. Usually I give a large tip at the end of holiday.

Getting many therapists increases chance for covid.

Important to drink water as much as possible.

To lower price I offer them 10h package, jomtien from 1500b, bangkok from 2000b. I aim at the owner, so she has full money (doesn't have to pay wage to employee), but often difficult.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Depends how strong they are doing it. If the first one puts you through the ringer, the others might not know and you could end up sore for quite awhile. Even after just one hour, I am sometimes sore and bruised.

Initially you can get some soreness.... I think the test of a good massage is how you feel when you wake up the following day. 

Covid has stopped it now....

When I played in a sports league here I'd follow up the next day with a Thai massage 1-2 hours....

Then the day after get a 2 or 3 hour oil massage to soothe out all the left over kinks, joint, muscle soreness.....

It was always a good routine/remedy.... Occasionally, one more relaxing massage during the week if so inclined & nothing else to do.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

So many factors to give a proper answer.

Age,general health, contraindications, type of massage, ability and training of the masseuse.

Only a proper consultation by a qualified therapist could answer that question properly.

If your talking about the girl who probably learned off her mate in the next cubical, probably no problem, until you have a problem.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

So many factors to give a proper answer.

Age,general health, contraindications, type of massage, ability and training of the masseuse.

Only a proper consultation by a qualified therapist could answer that question properly.

If your talking about the girl who probably learned off her mate in the next cubical, probably no problem, until you have a problem.

Certainly wouldn't book more than an hour with a lady I didn't already know was good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Certainly wouldn't book more than an hour with a lady I didn't already know was good.

I wouodnt book ANYTHING with one who didnt ask questions BEFORE it started.

I find the techniques and manipulations of some quite scary !.

Each to their own choices.

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Too long because you were too sore? Or you got bored?

after having 100s of 2 hours i thought it was impossible to get bored but the 3 hours was too long, got restless. You could try 2.5 hours first they will go for that.

First ensure you find a good masseuse. I had one today claimed to have been doing massage for 10 years but i would guess more likely 10 days

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if you really want to do it the falang way..... say only an hour.   then get up, drink some water, relax for a few minutes....and say, "OK, how about an extra hour?"    of course they will say  yes.    

if not, it usually doesn't go a full 2 hours and you might feel cheated.  now i don't care anymore...

it's nice to have a stranger touch you......lol......well, it's strange but this is Thailand.

It all depends how hard the massage is.   If easy, every day if you drink enough water.  If hard, maybe once a week.  If you want to go a lot, just tell them to go easy and whatever....

it's an experience.   a few percent will be the worst, a few percent the best, and honestly I'm not sure if they help at all.  However, it's better than being in your room.  

I have a massage nearly every day, but it is a half-hour. One hour massage once a week. For the one hour, I take along my Bluetooth earbuds and my smartphone with about 400 music tracks on it.

IMO it's important to find someone who knows what they are doing, and also your comfort level. I had to fire one massage woman who was quite competent, but would not back off on the pressure and positioning she used.

I used to have 2-hour massages when I was younger, but now I think that might do more harm than good.

It's a no-brainer the older women are more skilled, the young ones are usually trying to upsell.

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's a no-brainer the older women are more skilled, the young ones are usually trying to upsell.

i dunno, the older ones are trying hard these days, i go in for a foot massage and they try and get me upstairs, often works

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i dunno, the older ones are trying hard these days, i go in for a foot massage and they try and get me upstairs, often works

Either you are hansum man, or you look too well-heeled.

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I think the most I've had was a 90 minute massage, but was considering the benefits of getting 2x 1 hour, or even 3 hours in a row! (With different masseuses of course).

Many professionals learn massage in Wat Po. They learn a very much in detail step by step massage session which takes two hours. 

Maybe they changed it now but at least years ago that was the only session. Do you want 2 hours or 120 minutes?