DIY seltzer/soda water options....

asiacurious

Back home I used a Sodastream with Paintball CO2 bottles and an adapter to make my own seltzer.  I miss that so much.  $4 to refill a tank that would yield many, many bottles of seltzer.  I'd love to do the same thing (or something similar) here but I've hit a brick wall.

I've been buying 6-7 cases of seltzer every month at Makro for a while now, but it's too much to deal with at this point.

So....

Does anyone know of a place in Bangkok where one can buy and refill the kind of small CO2 tanks that independent restaurants use?

With a tank in hand, I could then do any of the following options:

- Refill CO2 paintball bottles as needed and use my adapter, like this...

4.jpg.8fac7478b2ec625ad967e7afc31a9dbc.jpg    0.thumb.jpg.4ff67ddd9aacbe1c77d6118838b62e3a.jpg

- Plug the restaurant style tank directly into the Sodastream with an adapter hose, like this...

1.jpg.de23e7c75975764fa87555e524af7152.jpg

- Use an adapter to refill Sodastream tanks from the the bigger CO2 tank, like this...

2.jpg.feddf9667b89a1431130fcb476b5e5ec.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by asiacurious

I saw that thread, and one other on here from a long time ago.  I've asked at a couple of restaurants but they "didn't know" where they got them.  Filled tanks just mysteriously arrive.  (Obviously someone knows, but perhaps not the people present when I was there asking.)

I'll have to keep asking around.

What kind of water you use? 

I looked at soda stream machines, but found it useless since I do not have clean tap water, and still have to buy bottled water. Do not care much for the bigger household deliver a 20L. Only good for cooking in my opinion.

So 3 - 4 cases of rock soda every month for me 166,- baht. Can't bother when it is not so expensive

try to get to menager. Offer to pay some few hundred baht for information.

If supplier doesn't deal with individuals, offer to buy off restaurant itself.

Also check google maps for "co2 gas" and "dry ice". You can translate thai entries to see, who they are.

see https://thaidryice.com/en/co2/ in bangkok - they have 50kg.

I think an industrial size 20-30 litres would last you for about a year. Empty tank itself might cost some 5-10k.

For filling 380g bottle they charge minimum 300b and 1 litre for 900b. So not cheap.

lazada has also options - that is for fish tanks

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jrm-4l-co2-co2-cga320-i2858644581-s10427585951.html

Edited by internationalism

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

What kind of water you use? 

I looked at soda stream machines, but found it useless since I do not have clean tap water, and still have to buy bottled water. Do not care much for the bigger household deliver a 20L. Only good for cooking in my opinion.

So 3 - 4 cases of rock soda every month for me 166,- baht. Can't bother when it is not so expensive

I filter my water at the tap so I've got on demand clean water.

Storage of the cases is (6-7 a month) is an issue, and I'm not too fond of the environmental impact that comes with shipping all that water & glass bottle weight around (factory store  home .recycling of empty bottles).  Sure, in the grand scheme of things it's not that much energy consumed on 6-7 cases a month, but a lot of people each consuming a little less energy can add up to a lot.

When making selzer, you always want to use cold water rather than room temp, so I would bottle and chill the water first.  Cold water absorbs more CO2 than warm water, which is why restaurant fountains use cold water.  (Or at least, they're supposed to.  It's hit or miss here in Thailand, which is why some places serve up soda that seems flat or has tiny bubbles.)

• Like 1

Fill up gas. Price 300 Baht.
Send back to the company at this address. Company. VISA DRINKS 323 United Center building, 45th floor, Silom province, Bangrak district, Bangkok. 10500 Call. 02-6312914 088-0776666 send back to the company at this address Visa Drinks Co., Ltd. 323 United Center Building, 45th Floor, Silom Subdistrict, Bang Rak District, Bangkok 10500 Tel. 02-6312914 088-0776666

VIZA Soda Stream-เครื่องทำโซดา

VIZA Soda Stream-เครื่องทำโซดา
Shipping fee 3-5 tanks. Shipping fee 200 baht. Shipping fee for 1 -2 tanks 130 baht. Shipping fee 3-5 tanks. Shipping fee 200 baht. Shipping fee 1 -2 tanks. Shipping fee 130 baht.
Edited by Lite Beer