Turf wars: One dead three injured as rescue foundations mount pitch battle in downtown Bangkok

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police in Bangkok were called to the the area in front of Lotus Rama IV after two Thai rescue foundations fought in a continuing turf war.

Officials from Poh Teck Tung claimed that those from Siam Ruamjai had ambushed them after saying they wanted to talk about their differences.

Thong Lo police found bricks and bottles littering the area.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Chusana Chotiphrom, 25, died in Chulalongkorn Hospital after being shot in the chest. 

Three others were treated for injuries in other hospitals, reported Thai Rath

One man was arrested in the Klong Toei area. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Chusana Chotiphrom, 25, died in Chulalongkorn Hospital after being shot in the chest. 

Three others were treated for injuries in other hospitals, reported

How did there get to hospital?

5 hours ago, kotsak said:

That's what happens when you "rescue" others for money.

Which they don't.

This is but one of the many journalistic accounts that details how, and why, they really function and are funded:

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2014/4/26/in-pictures-thailands-emergency-volunteers

The don't get paid by hospitals.........just as the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John_Ambulance

There was a television news item some years ago, I am unable to find it, in which a Thai pop celebrity explained why he, by no means short of money, felt compelled to be an active foundation responder.

It was/is for the same reason that others are................"merit".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Three others were treated for injuries in other hospitals, reported Thai

Two rescue foundations fighting in a street battle....

Amazing safe trusted Thailand... 

does it get any lower?

• Like 2

I just got a great idea for a movie. "Meat Wagon". Watch rival ambulances services fight over turf while selling drugs on the side and chasing love interests with emergency room nurses. Maybe Tarentino can direct. If I can pitch it to Hollywood I will quit my day job.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I just got a great idea for a movie. "Meat Wagon". Watch rival ambulances services fight over turf while selling drugs on the side and chasing love interests with emergency room nurses. Maybe Tarentino can direct. If I can pitch it to Hollywood I will quit my day job.

could it be shot in soi 7  really missing the place ive seen a few girls in nurses uniforms outside the bars there over the years  

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Did you not watch the recent Bangkok Breaking Series?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14202282/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

There are "body snatchers"....a bigger fee for dead men!

Different foundations for injured and for dead. Those who handle dead bodies never take injured and those who take injured never take dead.

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

Which they don't.

This is but one of the many journalistic accounts that details how, and why, they really function and are funded:

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2014/4/26/in-pictures-thailands-emergency-volunteers

The don't get paid by hospitals.........just as the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John_Ambulance

There was a television news item some years ago, I am unable to find it, in which a Thai pop celebrity explained why he, by no means short of money, felt compelled to be an active foundation responder.

It was/is for the same reason that others are................"merit".

They do get money for each injured person they deliver to a hospital, and that's why they only deliver to private hospitals. Used to be 300/person about 10 years ago, no idea how much it is now.

A foundation I was involved with tried to initiate a fight with another foundation once when I was on duty and they were very upset with me after I successfully managed to stop it before it begun. We all went to the nearest police station and had the police officers mitigate between the 2 foundations. A short while after that the smaller foundation stopped operating and the members joined the rival foundation as per the recommendation of the police.

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

thanks for that, I was assuming money and business was the point of contention - but volunteer medics are killing each other in the streets?! that's some desperate merit making

Edited by cncltd1973
redundancy
  • Like 1

Pretty scary that the country has to rely on gangsters to save people after accidents. I've seen them cram people who should have been stabilized and put onto a stretcher into the back of their pickup trucks as the injured grimace in pain. These people have ZERO medical or emergency training and they have ZERO education in rescue services. These turf wars have gone on for years. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Pretty scary that the country has to rely on gangsters to save people after accidents. I've seen them cram people who should have been stabilized and put onto a stretcher into the back of their pickup trucks as the injured grimace in pain. These people have ZERO medical or emergency training and they have ZERO education in rescue services. These turf wars have gone on for years. 

bring-out-your-dead_477973_1.jpg.9d4952ec0c126aa0a19f14c98743d662.jpg

Hasn't something like this happened in other countries, rival services vying for contracts etc... without the street fighting element though.