Can you own a house in Vietnam?

In Vietnam, the land is theoretically collectively owned by the people, but regulated by the State.

Foreigners who are residents in Vietnam are permitted to purchase dwelling houses. They can own a house but not the land on which it is built.

They have the option to lease the land from the State.

Foreigners have been able to buy property in Vietnam since July 2015, but the property must be located in a subdivision within an approved project. There are a limited number of approved projects in Hanoi, however most of them are located away from the city center.

The reason I am bringing up this topic is we reported earlier that Hanoi is putting six hundred downtown villas built before 1954 on sale, the municipal People’s Committee said.

Picture5.thumb.jpg.f6cbeb394c5aace0e9f87090728cc621.jpg

Old Hanoi villas

I am sure many creative expats would like to renovate and live in these wonderful historic villas.

The move is among policies made by the committee to manage and put public villas built before 1954 to use.

All six hundred villas are under the management of the Hanoi Housing Management and Development company and are located in Ba Dinh, Hoan Kiem, Hai Ba Trung, Dong Da and Tay Ho districts.

Hanoi said selling the villas would help create funds to renovate and restore ancient structures in the city.

Certain state-owned villas are not for sale but are being considered to be put on auction in future, Hanoi added.

The capital currently has around 1,216 villas, including 367 state-owned ones, 117 privately owned and some a mix between public and private ownership, or co-owned by several households.

Hanoi said many of the villas have become dilapidated over the years and there were not enough funds to repair and renovate them. Most of the villas have been around for a century, it added.

I am no expert however I am sure with the assistance of a savvy local lawyer it might be feasible to own a bit of Hanoi’s history.

Perhaps someone out there may have all the answers?

Join our 3 x a week Vietnam News, Travel and Expat information newsletter and keep up to date. https://aseannow.com/newsletter.php

4835888-old-house-in-hanoi.webp

Took a bicycle tour through Mai Chau in the North of Vietnam (about 3.5 hours outside of Hanoi) a couple of years ago and the local guide stated that houses were about 26k USD in an immaculate, beautiful area very similar to Chiang Mai.  He did mention that the rice field land was owned by the Vietnamese government although it was sure beautiful.  Would love to live there someday.