Thailand's Heatwave: High Temperatures of 44 Degrees Expected

webfact

Clear_hot_day.jpg

File photo

Thailand finds itself under a severe heatwave with temperatures expected to skyrocket up to 44 degrees Celsius. This intense heat predominates the Northern region with scattered clouds during the day. The minimum temperature is set at a range of between 22 and 30 degrees, and a strong southwesterly wind blowing at speeds of 5-15 km/hr. 

The northeastern region follows suit with isolated thunderstorms in lower areas, and temperatures as high as 44 degrees. The Central and Eastern regions are not spared with the highest temperatures reaching 44 and 42 degrees respectively amid patches of clouds and possible thunderstorm occurrence. Southwesterly and southerly winds of 10-30 km/hr have been forecasted for these regions. 

The southern region, split between the East and West Coasts, is hot with some areas expecting thunderstorms. Here, temperatures range from 24 degrees to an extreme 41 degrees Celsius. The Southeast winds are blowing at a speed of 10-30 km/hr, causing ocean waves of one meter and above during storms. 

Cities including Bangkok are also experiencing this hot weather with temperatures varying between 28 to 42 degrees and southwesterly winds at 10-25 km/hr. 

The Thai Meteorological Department warns citizens about this extreme weather and advises against spending time in open areas. They predict thunderstorms in at least 11 provinces and urge people to remain cautious.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

Tell me about it!

I just saw another funeral procession going by, outside my front gate.

The grim reaper is the only one, presumably, enjoying this record hot spell.

Heat stress is not something that I need worry about, fortunately.

Wish it were the same for all gods creatures, young and old.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

Looking at the above, the heat is definitely affecting a lot of people. Meanwhile I'm sitting in Berkeley where it's currently 14C.

Is that Berkeley Glos?

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

By comparison, a couple of years ago around 70,000 died from the heat in Europe.

Woke and weak.

Not like the Thais and Aussies. 

I am about to get up on the roof and do a bit of maintenance while it is nice and sunny.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

A post with unsubstantiated information and the replies have been removed.

Some troll posts and replies have been removed.  

Posts using derogatory nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names  will be removed.  If you don’t want your post to be removed, spell people’s names correctly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

By comparison, a couple of years ago around 70,000 died from the heat in Europe.

That was a true heatwave with very unusually high maximums.

The same as we've been having in Thailand for the last month+. But Europe definitely isn't designed for hot. I was there in July a few years back, partly for work, and it hit mid-30s in Austria. It was so hot the aircon on the train failed and the guard came through unlocking all the windows.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

What, you young people who all insist on driving cars, charging your mobile phones, laptops,  and using plastic for eveeythinng?  The young ones who are flying around the world each year for holidays and ordering food deliveries to you home every day? Want foods available all year round shipped and flown from all over the world so u can eat a strawberry in December. 

The older generation...no smartphones or laptops to charge, no plastic bags or packaging,not everyone had a car and people used go cycle or use a bus.  Did not fly to go on a holiday etc. Etc

Sounds terrible mate. Glad I wasnt born back then.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Had to laugh at the pic on this post. Clear beautiful sky with the sun..  More like 44 with a pollution haze where the sun is almost blocked out. So you are sweltering in unbearable heat and breathing unbreathable air. Yea, I miss those days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And yet, they look almost identical to me ... :coffee1:

Nor has the average high changed in 40-70 years, all of 0.7°F

image.png.ad16d19aa9db222e2eb0bb83ed73588e.png

image.png.f3eecb9a615cba66a715c9c71c228ccc.png

You do have to consider, there's a lot more concrete and buildings, holding and radiating temps, so without those, and ambient air, might even be less.

Maybe do comparison elsewhere in TH, that hasn't changed as much.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Couldn't find average H / L, but average temp is less now than few decades ago. Now ...

image.png.13336da6a467960c47ea59134c0c7d88.png

Then ... 84.7F

image.png.fb88141c7e1e42d4a813d74b1e3c6cf6.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Jim Jum said:

At least in Isaan, the weather in April has been unusual. Above average almost whole month.

According to data it can be described as a heat wave (https://weatherspark.com/h/m/149107/2024/4/Historical-Weather-in-April-2024-at-Khon-Kaen-Airport-Thailand#Figures-Temperature - "Khon Kaen Airport Temperature History April 2024" for example).

No April rain almost whole of Thailand, not only in Isaan.

Having a look at historical data for Khon Kaen the monthly average temp is up about 2°C from April last year. This is not surprising because the daily maximums are constantly on the high side with no respite.

Monthly average for April 2023-31.5°C/April 2024-33.57°C. Bangkok April 2023-31.74°C/April 2024-33.05°C. It's not a huge difference and IMO can be put down to everyday being at the high end of daily maximums. Not due to unusually high temperatures.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/th/mueang-khon-kaen/VTUK/date/2023-4

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Hopefully, by next time around, when the same thing, or worse, happens again, they will have installed ACs...

My comment does not address the matter of the two degrees that makes a difference to the danger levels, but the term "skyrocket" might be more accurate if the temperature went up 10C not just by 2C

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You neglected to include two important pieces of data:

a. The average low temps at the coolest time of day.

b. The relative humidity.

c.  Two degrees difference is a LOT, and if the humidity is also higher, than this will severely impact the body's ability to cool itself.

Not to mention (d) the ever pervasive element of pollution levels.