I bought a "cheap off brand" steam cleaner and so far I love it

Jingthing

As consumers we all have items that we've bought and never use, and also items that surprise us so that we wonder how we ever coped without them.

Well this is a story of the latter type of item.

Taking the risk not expecting too much I bought this item on Lazada at the always "discounted" price of 1769 baht.

Alithai ไม้ถูพื้น เครื่องทำความสะอาดพลังไอน้ำ H2O Mop 5 in 1 Steam Mop Cleaner X5 - สีเขียว

Now you can spend much much more on big name steam cleaners and most likely they are a higher quality, but do you really need that?  There are also now specialized types of steam cleaners for hard floors only that have two tanks, so you vacuum and steam clean at the same time without the need for microfiber pads. Those intrigue me but they are VERY EXPENSIVE particularly in Thailand where they appear to be about double the cost compared to the west.

But this one supposedly "does it all" which of course it doesn't but it seems to be well on the way.

So far I have been using only the hand held option to clean up funky built up kitchen and bathroom messes. Now if you maintenance clean constantly (or have a partner or worker doing that for you) you aren't likely to have many such messes. But  you still might have some. Or you might just want to use it to disinfect stuff.

It's not exactly a miracle worker but it still does a great job on these funky projects.

You need to read the manual to choose your heat level setting properly. Too low and it won't work on the job, and too high and you can do damage.

So you fill up the water, close it up, power it up, and the steam starts in seconds! Then when you want to stop, change attachments, add water, etc. you merely power it off (unplug it) and you can IMMEDIATELY open up the water tank with no fear of explosions. 

Some downsides are it has a power cord so you need to take care with that, don't steam it, etc. Also the main attachment that I'm using the nylon brush got degraded on first use. There are no replacement sources. But it's still very usable so not a big problem. 

A tip that I picked up online for big messes is to spray the area with heated up vinegar and water (50, 50) and let sit awhile. That does indeed make the steaming part more effective.

The mopping function is done with microfiber pads which you can easily buy more online. They need to be washed after use. I haven't even tried the mopping function but I assume it works. It's mostly for hard floors but there is a rug attachment.

Bottom line, I love my "cheap off brand" steam cleaner. 

Obligatory video:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1