painting UPVC interior trim?

gamb00ler

Our build is coming down to the wire and we need to tell our builder what interior trim to use.

We would like to ensure that all the trim is the same color.  If purchased from different manufacturers that may not be true.  We would like to paint the trim to ensure the color does match.  From what I've seen at various Chiang Mai outlets, the choices in what the architect considers paintable are limited/expensive.  UPVC trim products give a much greater selection.

Our architect has said that UPVC trim cannot be painted.  However, I have read on US based websites that with the proper preparation and products, painting of UPVC is possible and it can be durable as well.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-plastic-trim-doors-28018.html

I have very limited knowledge in this area.  Advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

Edited by gamb00ler

18 minutes ago, warrima said:

Painted plastic never looks good in my opinion. You can paint it with the correct primer and if it was maybe sprayed you would get a passable finish. 

I was definitely planning on a primer coat.  Some say it is not strictly necessary, but I agree with you that it will produce a better finish.

We will be using white UPVC trim and our paint color will be slightly off white.

I've made a mistake in what the trim is made of.  It is actually PVC.

Edited by gamb00ler
correction