Security camera at the apartment door in a condominium?

Is it legal and accepted to have a small security camera at the apartment door in a condominium?

I.e. if someone is at my door and rings my bell and I am not at home then I would be able to see such a person remotely.

Or maybe I am home and I want to know who is outside of the door without opening the door.

For some cases a door spyhole camera would do the job. But it's 2022 so why not use a camera?

I have something like this in mind - just a sample.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it legal and accepted to have a small security camera at the apartment door in a condominium?

I would guess you'd have to ask your condo mgt people about installing one.  Lazada has 1000's of doorbell cameras for sale so it's not a totally foreign item here in Thailand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I wouldn't bother, i presume you have to let people in at security? or they let anyone up?

Security is not as good as it should be. After all TiT.

I don't worry too much about the security aspect. As far as I know that is not a considerable risk in this building.

But sometimes it's just nice to see who is at the door. And with modern technology that is easy to do remotely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 5:31 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I wouldn't bother, i presume you have to let people in at security? or they let anyone up?

I agree, if i'm not in my condo security will not let anyone up to my door, why would they?

43 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I agree, if i'm not in my condo security will not let anyone up to my door, why would they?

I am sure there are some building with good security. But as far as I see there are a lot more buildings with bad security. Probably they will stop what looks like a Thai worker and they won't let him in. But any farang walking in like he belongs there has seldom problems to just walk in.

• Like 1

Suggest you ask your landlord for permission to replace the existing door spyhole ( if it has one ) with a camera.  If it has not got one you will need his permission to drill a new hole.

Don't install the camera low down as up-skirt shots of female callers are frowned upon, amongst other things ????

Edited by Excel

On 5/19/2022 at 4:38 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

For some cases a door spyhole camera would do the job. But it's 2022 so why not use a camera?

Spy-holes are dangerous , you should not have an uncovered one.----do they still have the Spy shop in MBK ?....used to love wandering around that.  Not been to BKK for years-- Go take a look, they will have "Reverse Peephole" the upmarket ones can fit a Camera ....The police Genuinely need them of course to see what they are facing the other side-- but in hotels  your usually looking straight at the bed-- & I didn't know anyone in Oz that was in the hotel/Motel Business that didn't carry one ---

Just strictly for security purposes of course.......... :w00t: 

Frequently bought together

image.png.6513085fe12d5f932164169f7c9ec4f4.png

image.png.deb17abf04a4a6617b4489cb81718626.png

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Top of Form

Add both to Cart

Bottom of Form

One of these items ships sooner than the other.

Show details

• Haha 1

Ring & Blink make good products for this... 

Door bells / Cams which connect to your Wifi... When someone ‘rings the bell’... it calls your phone. IF are not in you see who it is and can have a conversation, leave instructions etc. 

I believe what you have there OMF is a carbon copy of the Blink Doorbell...  with any luck the the quality is the same etc... 

https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/blink-video-doorbell

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SG2MS3V?tag=meastus-20

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ring & Blink make good products for this... 

Door bells / Cams which connect to your Wifi... When someone ‘rings the bell’... it calls your phone. IF are not in you see who it is and can have a conversation, leave instructions etc. 

I believe what you have there OMF is a carbon copy of the Blink Doorbell...  with any luck the the quality is the same etc... 

https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/blink-video-doorbell

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SG2MS3V?tag=meastus-20

It's this one:

Amcrest 4-Megapixel Video Doorbell Camera Pro, Outdoor Smart Home 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless WiFi Doorbell Camera, Micro SD Card, PIR Motion Detector, IP65 Weatherproof, 2-Way Audio, 164º Wide-Angle Wi-Fi AD410

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure there are some building with good security. But as far as I see there are a lot more buildings with bad security. Probably they will stop what looks like a Thai worker and they won't let him in. But any farang walking in like he belongs there has seldom problems to just walk in.

Are fobs not required to get into the corridors?

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Are fobs not required to get into the corridors?

In my building there is a security door at the lifts and everybody who gets into the lifts can click any button.

And if someone just opens the door it is easy to enter at the same time.

The good news is that as far as I know it is years ago that something was stolen from any apartment in my building.