Buying a new car at bkk motorshow, experience?

If you bought a new car at the bkk motorshow in dec eg last year, did you get a 2021 or 2022 vehicle(presume it was delivered after new year?).

And also if you ever bought at the motorhow, which one and how much discount did you get? 

2 hours ago, sanook 1 said:

If you bought a new car at the bkk motorshow in dec eg last year, did you get a 2021 or 2022 vehicle(presume it was delivered after new year?).

What do you mean?

There is a model year, which is when the manufacturer releases a new model. If the latest model update was in 2019 and you buy it now it's still a 2019 model.

Then there is the first registration date, which is simply that. If you bought a car 5 years ago and rode it without registering it, but register it now, the blue book would show 2022 even though the car is actually 5 years old.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If the latest model update was in 2019 and you buy it now it's still a 2019 model.

Anyone who buys a new car today, assuming that it wasn't built in 2019 or hasn't been sitting around as stock for years, buys a 2022 model!   

5 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What do you mean?

There is a model year, which is when the manufacturer releases a new model. If the latest model update was in 2019 and you buy it now it's still a 2019 model.

Then there is the first registration date, which is simply that. If you bought a car 5 years ago and rode it without registering it, but register it now, the blue book would show 2022 even though the car is actually 5 years old.

Good grief...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Anyone who buys a new car today, assuming that it wasn't built in 2019 or hasn't been sitting around as stock for years, buys a 2022 model!   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_year

The model year (sometimes abbreviated "MY") is a method of describing the version of a product which has been produced over multiple years.

vehicle-vin_lmoxgo.jpg.5fc558426daffc429199571137a6eedd.jpg

The VIN only shows the model year, not the manufacturing year. Let's take for example a Honda City, last model update in 2019, this means that the model year for all Honda City produced since end of 2019 until today is the same, even if you buy one that left the factory last week it's a 2019 model and the VIN confirms this.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What do you mean?

Thats is incorrect there are many cars on the one2car website that are listed with the reg documents

the car is listed as xxxx model but the reg document clearly states the MFG date which is ofter older than the listed date.

As to the op's question it depends on what you specifed on the order form if you didn't specify anything its pot luck if you get a car manufactured in 2021 or 2022 if you specifed on the order form that you will only accept a car that has been manufactured in 2022 you should receive a car built in that year

If you check out the facebook groups for the brand and model your interested in around March you will see dealers offering between 150,000-250,000 discounts on brand new unregistered cars that were built

in October,November December. you wouldn't get the same level of discount on the same vehicle that was  manufactured in the current year

If you choose to visit a showroom rather that do you inital search on the internet its likely that you wouldn't be offered huge discounts on models regardless of year of manufacturer

• Like 2

Right now there are quite a few very very low mileage 2020- and 2021- built cars offered at a big discount from new. These are cancelled fleet orders from when Covid hit. Seen quite a few Vios and Altis, for example..  However by the time you take into account the discount and extras offered on a 2022 built new car, and the lower resale value of the older car, they are probably not worth buying.

My wife recently ordered a new Toyota. She specified that it should be a factory order (i.e. built to her order). It left the production line 29th March and she took delivery 4th April. She still got a good discount and a variety of 'extras' - insurance, mats, fuel etc.

• Like 2

First time - we asked what we'd get if we purchased a new 328i - and got told "a new umbrella" - she was a new sales girl.

Push hard for discounts. Push until they pull out a piece of paper from the manufacturer that says this is the maximum discount allowable by any Thai dealer.

Then look form 100k more than that (or less if a Vios or other lower priced car). Each brand at the show has sales people from different dealers, so get a deal from one. Then go back to another the next day looking for better.

It's THE best place to get a car.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, HauptmannUK said:

Right now there are quite a few very very low mileage 2020- and 2021- built cars offered at a big discount from new. These are cancelled fleet orders from when Covid hit. Seen quite a few Vios and Altis, for example..  However by the time you take into account the discount and extras offered on a 2022 built new car, and the lower resale value of the older car, they are probably not worth buying.

My wife recently ordered a new Toyota. She specified that it should be a factory order (i.e. built to her order). It left the production line 29th March and she took delivery 4th April. She still got a good discount and a variety of 'extras' - insurance, mats, fuel etc.

Can I ask where these are to be found?

On 5/29/2022 at 12:58 AM, pedro01 said:

Can I ask where these are to be found?

I found then at non-franchise used car dealers advertising on One2Car etc.  Seem to be a few dotted around the country, not only in Bangkok.  E.g. 2020 Vios with only 50km. I spoke to one dealer who told me they are cancelled fleet orders.  Obviously offered at a discount but you've already lost two years warranty, the car will have a lower resale value and you don't get the free 'extras' offered with a brand new car.

On 6/3/2022 at 3:11 PM, HauptmannUK said:

I found then at non-franchise used car dealers advertising on One2Car etc.  Seem to be a few dotted around the country, not only in Bangkok.  E.g. 2020 Vios with only 50km. I spoke to one dealer who told me they are cancelled fleet orders.  Obviously offered at a discount but you've already lost two years warranty, the car will have a lower resale value and you don't get the free 'extras' offered with a brand new car.

Thank you