Durian latest: Seven Vietnamese arrested for diddling the Thai public using dodgy scales

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Following complaints from the public, trading standards police and Department of Internal Trade officers went to a road in Taling Chan, Bangkok where Vietnamese traders were selling durian by the kilo for 150 baht.

That's a reasonable price but what was amiss was that they were using wrongly calibrated spring scales to rip-off the public.

A four kilogram weight registered 4.6 kilos and a 13.2 kilo weight came out at 15 kilos.

Seven Vietnamese were arrested - their ages were 34-51. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

They face up to seven years in jail and/or fines of 280,000 baht.

They were making 5,000 baht a day each at their stalls, reported Thai Rath.

The suspects admitted their crime and were taken for prosecution to the Bang Sao Thong police station.

Consumers can call 1135 to report such crime or use 1569, another hotline. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't think many members of the public would buy 4kg of durian, let alone 15kg.

But then the way its worded, it looks like they were selling 4kg of fruit using a 4.6kg weight which is a rather odd 'scam' - one designed to ruin the perpetrator...

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, mrfill said:

But then the way its worded, it looks like they were selling 4kg of fruit using a 4.6kg weight which is a rather odd 'scam' - one designed to ruin the perpetrator...

Does this really need explaining ?? 

The scale was rigged.. when a legit 4kg weight was placed on the scale it reads 4.6kg.. Approx 15% under.. The difference 'scales' through whatever range of weight was applied to it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mrfill said:

it looks like they were selling 4kg of fruit using a 4.6kg weight which is a rather odd 'scam' - one designed to ruin the perpetrator...

They were selling 4kg of produce at the price of 4.6kg. 

Have you ever wondered if you've been scammed by any chance? 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

They were selling 4kg of produce at the price of 4.6kg. 

Have you ever wondered if you've been scammed by any chance? 

Every morning when I wake up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I've brought my own scale to the markets a few times and it's showed same on both scales each time.

Wow, that's extreme. 

On occasions I'll weigh when I get back home, I find most times their scales weigh the same.