Delivery service riders seek help from Thai government over high fuel prices

snoop1130

พนักงานส่งอาหาร..jpg

Delivery service bike riders are complaining about the rising price of gasohol and benzene and are calling for help from the government, as did users of diesel, the price of which is being capped at 32 baht/litre through subsidies.

One of the riders told Thai PBS that he is now spending an average of 300 baht a day on gasohol, instead of 200 baht, and that the price still rises every now and then.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said that the burden of fuel costs has forced him to work harder to compensate for the increased spending, meaning he has to make at least 40 deliveries a day to make a living.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/delivery-service-riders-seek-help-from-thai-government-over-high-fuel-prices/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Thai people: "We want freedom and democracy.  Down with this oppressive regime!"

Also Thai people: "The prices of things have gone up, please can you pay for some of it so we can afford it?"

Do they ask and say please?

Or do they demand it?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

One of the riders told Thai PBS that he is now spending an average of 300 baht a day on gasohol, instead of 200 baht, and that the price still rises every now and then.

Subsidise everything, only way Thais know how to make a profit.

The customers should pay. Delivery people should form a union and negotiate to up the rate for delivery services and get those customers ordering through these delivery services to pay a supplemental fuel tariff on their orders.

Already the delivery people are economising to the limit saving fuel by taking shortcuts on the sidewalks..

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

I assume that the delivery boys know, that those food order services get 30% of the total bill. 

You order food for 1,000 Baht, Foodpanda and their green and other-colored brethren get 300 Baht. If - say - if the delivery service company would share 50% of their highway robbery commission, they still would have enough to keep their (some crappy) websites running while a messenger boy would walk away with 150 Baht on a fare he usually would move a pillion rider for 30 Baht. 

Just a thought .......... the government has nothing to do with this and should concentrate on bigger fish in the fryer ???? 

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Maybe, if they rode on streets, rather than always crossing over, and using the pavement, they might use a little less fuel...

Nope can' work out how driving 2km to make a u-turn would save fuel .

17 hours ago, Robin said:

"He said that the burden of fuel costs has forced him to work harder " ...

How much tax does he pay on his earnings?  

"How much tax does he pay on his earnings?"  

What's that got to do with it but, more to the point, what's it got to do with you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many of them will be in the exempt band (up to B150,000), i.e. 0%, for personal income tax.

We had a guy resign from our work place because he said he could make more money on Food Panda with less hours and easier work. He was doing it as a side gig. He was getting 25k/month as QC inspector. 

Edit - And he is working with Food Panda now. 

Edited by warrima

2 minutes ago, warrima said:
32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many of them will be in the exempt band (up to B150,000), i.e. 0%, for personal income tax.

We had a guy resign from our work place because he said he could make more money on Food Panda with less hours and easier work. He was doing it as a side gig. He was getting 25k/month as QC inspector. 

Edit - And he is working with Food Panda now. 

If you say so, but, many of them will be in the exempt band (up to B150,000), i.e. 0%, for personal income tax.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does anyone know what the delivery riders actually get paid per delivery?  By that I do mean "know", not speculation.

Aye became a food delivery rider because of the high pay it promised. At first, he earned 100 baht per delivery. However, these days he gets about 40 baht for deliveries within a 5km radius. Now, he earns about 1,200 baht a day -- just enough to support his wife and seven-year-old daughter.

Copied from an article in the post - google it. Our guy said he could make 30k relatively easily so this corresponds to his claim

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The delivery companies should give them more from the 30 %

profit they get from each order , but that's never going to happen.

regards Worgeordie

AFAIK the delivery companies make a loss, despite the high commission.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Grab claim they do give part of their 30% to the delivery driver.

https://www.grab.com/th/en/blog/askgrab-merchant-commission/1296783203_grabdelivery.jpg.2abff0eefa605e51df4d51e70941f914.jpg

That is not clear to me , order 150 B , Grab gets 45 B , then they say

delivery guy gets 50 -60 B + 20 B delivery charge ,then goes on to say

its 30 -40 B ?? 

regards worgeordie

58 minutes ago, warrima said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does anyone know what the delivery riders actually get paid per delivery?  By that I do mean "know", not speculation.

Aye became a food delivery rider because of the high pay it promised. At first, he earned 100 baht per delivery. However, these days he gets about 40 baht for deliveries within a 5km radius. Now, he earns about 1,200 baht a day -- just enough to support his wife and seven-year-old daughter.

Copied from an article in the post - google it. Our guy said he could make 30k relatively easily so this corresponds to his claim

"Copied from an article in the post"

The "post"?   What post, the OP? 

Sorry, none of that was stated in the OP, nor the link.  I was asking if anyone knew what they are paid, not what anecdotal reports were available on Google.

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I was asking if anyone knew what they are paid, not what anecdotal reports were available on Google.

Spell it out for ye then. They 20 baht per delivery + (20-25% ) of the orders total as commission from the delivery company. so on a 100 baht order they get 40baht. 

• Thanks 1

Get these people off the road. I will willingly pay higher fuel costs if it forces these of the road.

I saw a driver in pink yesterday actually driving carefully and not ignoring red traffic lights etc....the sight of this driver compared to her workmates shocked me......but as I looked closer, she was typing on her cell phone.

• Sad 1