Thai 101

whatchamacallit

Howdie,

I'm sure this topic has been brought up more than once before - if so, you must forgive me as I am a newbie here :o

I am looking for a school, private company or an organization which offers Thai Lessons for beginners in a classroom setting. I do not want a one on one lessons. For example, up in Chiang Mai, you can take Thai lessons at the YMCA. Thanks guys.

Howdie,

I'm sure this topic has been brought up more than once before - if so, you must forgive me as I am a newbie here :o

I am looking for a school, private company or an organization which offers Thai Lessons for beginners in a classroom setting. I do not want a one on one lessons. For example, up in Chiang Mai, you can take Thai lessons at the YMCA. Thanks guys.

First, don't be shy about asking things, or being a "newbie"... Doesn't matter if it's been asked before, someone no doubt is thinking the same thing you are. Sorry, I don't know where to suggest, hopefully others will... but I've lived in Thailand almost two years, and I've already learned a few words:

"nam yen yen" cold water ("yen" means cold, "yen yen" means very cold).

"sip-hah" is the number 15

"sa bai dee mai" is something like "how are you doing".

Howdie,

First, don't be shy about asking things, or being a "newbie"... Doesn't matter if it's been asked before, someone no doubt is thinking the same thing you are. Sorry, I don't know where to suggest, hopefully others will... but I've lived in Thailand almost two years, and I've already learned a few words:

"nam yen yen" cold water ("yen" means cold, "yen yen" means very cold).

"sip-hah" is the number 15

"sa bai dee mai" is something like "how are you doing".

Thank you for your reply Weho. You're right, I won't be shy from now on. Hey, your Thai is better than mine - but then again I've only been here less than a year. Call me stupid or whatever - but as an Asian living in Thailand, EVERYONE (especially the Thais) thinks I am Thai. They automatically speaks Thai to me and don't believe me if I told them I don't speak a word of Thai. So it is now my mission to take Thai lessons and learn the Thai language. BTW, I've always enjoyed your postings.

Language Corps in Rungland off Pattaya Tai offer courses like these, 2250baht for 30 hours in groups of around 3 or 4, the teacher is a real nice guy who studied in the US and was a monk for 2 years, he seems to want to do it more for the enjoyment of teaching than the money.

Thank you for your reply Weho. You're right, I won't be shy from now on. Hey, your Thai is better than mine - but then again I've only been here less than a year. Call me stupid or whatever - but as an Asian living in Thailand, EVERYONE (especially the Thais) thinks I am Thai. They automatically speaks Thai to me and don't believe me if I told them I don't speak a word of Thai. So it is now my mission to take Thai lessons and learn the Thai language. BTW, I've always enjoyed your postings.

People often make assumptions that they shouldn't... one time I was in one of the Low Countries, and I was with someone from Amerigay... and my friend, being "politically correct" was used to referring to people they thought were "black", as "African American", which is a friendly term. So my friend, just out of habit, pointed to someone on the street selling, I think, these french fries, in a cone type container... And my friend says something like, "look at the weird hat on that African-American selling the fries..." And I said, but we're in Holland... isn't he an "African-European"? And my foolish friend realized they fell into a trap.

And very often I have observed people going up to people they think are caucasoid, and they just start speaking English to them... and not every caucasoid speaks English. I suggest people offended by this pretend to speak "broken english", and say, "no speak English... I only speak Albanian... so sorry..." Hopefully, that will teach the person that made the poor assumption not to be so quick to assume all caucasoid people speak english.

As far as your language lessons, I know I have seen postings outside the various "western markets" where people post such notices. Foodland, Carrefour, etc. I was happy to share the Thai words/phrases I have learned in two years with you. I'm hoping by next Autumn to be able to add "please turn up the air conditioning".

Howdie,

Northstar library offers both beginning and conversational classes a couple of times a week for 100 baht - located on Sukhumvet between Pattaya Nua and Pattaya Klang opposite Index - decent library as well