How Much To Tip Traditional Masseuses ?

Trevor

A friend of mine is a masseuse and earns roughly 10,000 a month plus accomodtaion plus rice. I remember once someone tipped her 700 baht and she refered to him as stupid farang and they all had a good laugh at how stupid he was. She appreciates tips but doesn't expect them and she just puts it down to farangs being stupid when they tip anywhere near the same as the massage cost. She can't understand why they wont go somewhere better or have a longer massage. She doesn't need tips to survive, if she did she wouldn't work there.

10,000 baht, plus tips, plus food.

She must be massaging the Royal family. :o

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tipping is important in these venues.

These ladies work very long hours and are usually supporting sizable families.

The ladies who work thai and foot massage normally make a 40-50% commission of the massage price.

For a 250 baht foot massage a 50 baht tip is adequate, 100 baht tip isn't too much.

For a good Thai massage a 100 baht tip per hour is always appreciated.

For a very good 2 hour oil massage a 500 baht tip isn't excessive.

I see a lady in Patong who knows some special chinese massage techniques similar to some massage offered at the Tao-Garden in Chiang Mai. I tip her 1000 baht for a 2 1/2 hour massage!

Edited by borracho

Personally I think B50 tip for and hours massage is about right.

I think some people need to be careful here. I enjoy giving the tip for good service and the fact that it might actually mean something to that worker makes it more worthwhile.

I lived in Africa for some time and was let into the ‘local’ view on tipping.

The general population in those countries appreciate the tipping in reasonable percentages 10-25%.

If more affluent ‘foreigners’ start to give 50-80% tips then after a while this becomes almost expected in some places and anyone who didn’t tip such a large amount was made to feel rather uncomfortable.

The locals then are under great pressure to match these tips, which they cannot, and new tourists or visitors are almost hassled into giving more.

This is not about being tight. A lot of us are very lucky here in Thailand and to give to someone who works hard and does a good job is reasonable. But tip as you would anywhere else in the world. These people are workers, professional and take pride in their work. Do not treat it as charity as that is rather patronising.

I'm NOT cheap. I reward those who do above what their job requires. But, I have to say, you farangs are tipping WAY, WAY too much. We farangs are the one that started the "tipping" process and now it's gone way too far. The thai people don't expect a tip from other thai people, so why should expect a tip from us???

Agreed, the thai massuese sits around for hours waiting for a customer. But, that's what they like doing - nothing. If they do not make enough income to suit their fancy, they will move on to something else. Don't feel sorry for these people and feel you HAVE to tip.

I'm getting mad just thinking about how you over-tippers are spoiling it for the normal customer, either it being a thai or farang. Please re-think your "habit". Because I come from Vegas, the tipping city of the world, and believe me, I was stuck in the "habit" of tipping, even when the service was poor - dumb me...

Think of what the reason you are tipping. Hey, good question? Why do you tip???

Atleast this thread makes it easy for us to point out all farangs that is making it hard for us 'not living here on western money'-people to have a normal life without being expected to be very rich and happy to give all our money away for correctly done tasks...

Could be ... or then again it could be pointing out the farang that don't even tip as well as locals ... and are hence .... cheap!

Most Thais I know wouldn't dream of bringing American tipping values.Sadly it is creeping in everywhere.In NZ 20 years ago,nobody tipped.It was the excepted norm.now it is slowly creeping in.What ever happened to 'pay the sticker price"?

Most golfers give a 200-500 baht tip to caddies in addition to the 200 baht caddy price.

Golfers have long been known for their ability to discern value and reasonable cost.

Shadow Creek, Las Vegas $500 per round

Green Monkey, Barbados $2300 per round, includes mandatory hotel room

Old Head Golf Links, Kinsale Ireland. $400 per round.

My favorite course back home, $24 per round - but a cheeseburger is $2.50 without fries!

The ladies who work thai and foot massage normally make a 40-50% commission of the massage price.

For a 250 baht foot massage a 50 baht tip is adequate, 100 baht tip isn't too much.

I see a lady in Patong who knows some special chinese massage techniques similar to some massage offered at the Tao-Garden in Chiang Mai. I tip her 1000 baht for a 2 1/2 hour massage!

I'm not sure if my "taking the piss" meter has been miscalibrated. Are you serious? Then you do have a proper nickname. If you were having us on, apologies.

Not this topic again :o

Why don't people think!

If you want to be a hero and tip big I suggest you piss off back to the States and practice it. This is Thailand, it is NOT expected and you are making yourself look a complete tit in doing it. By all means leave a token amount if you enjoyed it, but please leave your ridiculous preconceived notions of percentage tipping in your own country. Doing so makes you look a pratt in the eyes of the receiver, is extremely belittling and will end up giving the population the expectation of a hefty tip. Rich or poor, have a little read about the culture you're in and then engage brain before putting hand in pocket! :D

If you want to be a hero and tip big I suggest you piss off back to the States and practice it. This is Thailand, it is NOT expected and you are making yourself look a complete tit in doing it. By all means leave a token amount if you enjoyed it, but please leave your ridiculous preconceived notions of percentage tipping in your own country. Doing so makes you look a pratt in the eyes of the receiver, is extremely belittling and will end up giving the population the expectation of a hefty tip. Rich or poor, have a little read about the culture you're in and then engage brain before putting hand in pocket! :o

I think that we have discovered the original Cheap Charlie! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you want to be a hero and tip big I suggest you piss off back to the States and practice it. This is Thailand, it is NOT expected and you are making yourself look a complete tit in doing it. By all means leave a token amount if you enjoyed it, but please leave your ridiculous preconceived notions of percentage tipping in your own country. Doing so makes you look a pratt in the eyes of the receiver, is extremely belittling and will end up giving the population the expectation of a hefty tip. Rich or poor, have a little read about the culture you're in and then engage brain before putting hand in pocket! :o

I think that we have discovered the original Cheap Charlie! :D

I didn't think that you were a big tipper either GP.Where in the above post does it allude to being cheap?I'm sure he was talking about "big tips".

I have worked for tips most of my life and - like it or not - tipping has become the custom in Thailand for both foreigners and wealthy locals.

So few people leave "big" tips that it is not even worth addressing (but I don't think that anyone is laughing at them for doing it), however, IMHO, one should leave a reasonable tip in expensive restaurants and bars that don't have a service charge.

My opinion is the service charge should go straight to the employees or not be allowed because so many employers steal it, but I wish that there was no need for it at all.

What is with the argument that they don't make a lot of money so you should tip extra? What a load. If you have an issue with how much a restaurant, massage parlor, hotel, or whatever pays it employees, find somewhere else to go. It is certainly not up to the customer to make up for the short fall in bad employment practices. Why not tip the guy at the McDonalds counter – he doesn't make a lot either?

Tipping is not customary and not expected in Thailand in many cases – but it is sadly catching on. However, if you are a Westerner, and especially in a tourist area, you may be expected to tip because too many people over the years have ruined it for the rest of us. I have been asked on three separate occasions for more money for a tip in a massage place – my response is always to take back the original tip and tell the manager/owner. I usually pay 250 baht for 2 hours of traditional Thai massage – the masseuse gets a 50 baht tip if she was good. If she was bad, she gets nothing. Thais going to where I go tip a little less, but since my change is always a 50 baht note, I just give it to the girl.

When I fist came here I had that American tipping guilt so common to folks from my homeland – I am happy to say I have gotten over it and have adjusted myself to the local norms. When someone goes to the US, they should realize that tipping 15% is expected, and that it is sadly going up to 20%. When you come to Thailand, you need to adjust yourself to the local norms, not the other way around.

If you feel the need to pay an extra few hundred baht for your massage, why not go somewhere more expensive where the employee gets more - guilt problem solved without looking like a sucker.

Tipping is customary in some trades, but not others. Generally if something is fixed price I wouldn't expect to tip. However I'd have some sympathy for the massuese who has to work over a fat farang for the same price as a slim thai.

Edited by lamphun

Since it was a retorical question, no, I do indeed don't go the any massage parlours here. So I cannot say if any locals visiting such an establishment would be inclined to tip.

I just note that I cannot recall any others doing it in any other situations.

Mother-in-law goes for a 250 baht 2 hour massage ant tips 40 baht.

Tim207 goes for a 300 baht 2 hour massage and tips 50 baht. Mother-in-law complains I tipped too much. Apparently in our area 40 baht is considered a standard tip.

If you feel the need to pay an extra few hundred baht for your massage, why not go somewhere more expensive where the employee gets more - guilt problem solved without looking like a sucker.

Normally, expensive massage parlors pay employees no more than cheap ones. The owners keep the extra money. :o

I'm not sure if my "taking the piss" meter has been miscalibrated. Are you serious? Then you do have a proper nickname. If you were having us on, apologies.

Did you miss the words "very good massage". I think it is sound policy to tip a masseuse well when you receive exemplary treatments.

There are times when 40-50 tip is appropriate and times when a 500-1000 baht is appropriate.

When you consider getting a massage in farangland starts from 1500 baht an hour and goes up all the above scenarios are bargains regardless of how much you tip.

So your "taking the piss" meter needs re-calibration! :o

There are times when 40-50 tip is appropriate and times when a 500-1000 baht is appropriate.

When you consider getting a massage in farangland starts from 1500 baht an hour and goes up all the above scenarios are bargains regardless of how much you tip.

So your "taking the piss" meter needs re-calibration! :o

Do you also pay 70 baht for a can of coke while in Thailand? That seems to be your logic.

I'll bet those massage girls laugh till their guts hurt when you leave the shop.

So your "taking the piss" meter needs re-calibration! :D

Do you also pay 70 baht for a can of coke while in Thailand? That seems to be your logic.

I'll bet those massage girls laugh till their guts hurt when you leave the shop.

I bet they're very appreciative and give him a nice smile when he goes in :o

I'm NOT cheap. I reward those who do above what their job requires. But, I have to say, you farangs are tipping WAY, WAY too much. We farangs are the one that started the "tipping" process and now it's gone way too far. The thai people don't expect a tip from other thai people, so why should expect a tip from us???

Agreed, the thai massuese sits around for hours waiting for a customer. But, that's what they like doing - nothing. If they do not make enough income to suit their fancy, they will move on to something else. Don't feel sorry for these people and feel you HAVE to tip.

I'm getting mad just thinking about how you over-tippers are spoiling it for the normal customer, either it being a thai or farang. Please re-think your "habit". Because I come from Vegas, the tipping city of the world, and believe me, I was stuck in the "habit" of tipping, even when the service was poor - dumb me...

:o Excellent post and very good question. Is it something like the reason many people give to beggars?Too make themselves feel better?

I'm NOT cheap. (are you sure?) I reward those who do above what their job requires. But, I have to say, you farangs you farangs? are tipping WAY, WAY too much. We farangs that is better are the one that started the "tipping" process and now it's gone way too far. The thai people don't expect a tip from other thai people not always true, so why should expect a tip from us???because quite often tipping is not only appropriate .. it is expected

Agreed, the thai massuese sits around for hours waiting for a customer. But, that's what they like doing - nothing. tacky generalisation If they do not make enough income to suit their fancy, they will move on to something else. yeah! like rice farming! ... factory work! ... contruction jobs! Don't feel sorry for these people and feel you HAVE to tip.

I'm getting mad just thinking about how you over-tippers are spoiling it for the normal customer, :o:D :D either it being a thai or farang. how could it spoil it for anyone much less a Thai .. you already said, erroneously, that tips are not expected from Thais Please re-think your "habit". Because I come from Vegas, the tipping city of the world, and believe me, I was stuck in the "habit" of tipping, even when the service was poor - dumb me... :D :D

I tip because it is appropriate ... why are you cheap?

granted the 500 or 1000 baht tips are not appropriate at TRADITIONAL Thai massage places .... but some tip IS!

Normally, expensive massage parlors pay employees no more than cheap ones. The owners keep the extra money. :o

While I can not speak for every massage place in Thailand, any place I have gone to regularly has a split between the establishment and the employee.

But again, the customer is not responsible for the wage situation. If so, I have more sympathy for the people on buses trying to collect 4 baht from each passenger than for the massage girl watching TV and eating somtam all day.

I'm NOT cheap. (are you sure?) I reward those who do above what their job requires. But, I have to say, you farangs you farangs? are tipping WAY, WAY too much. We farangs that is better are the one that started the "tipping" process and now it's gone way too far. The thai people don't expect a tip from other thai people not always true, so why should expect a tip from us???because quite often tipping is not only appropriate .. it is expected

Agreed, the thai massuese sits around for hours waiting for a customer. But, that's what they like doing - nothing. tacky generalisation If they do not make enough income to suit their fancy, they will move on to something else. yeah! like rice farming! ... factory work! ... contruction jobs! Don't feel sorry for these people and feel you HAVE to tip.

I'm getting mad just thinking about how you over-tippers are spoiling it for the normal customer, :o:D:D either it being a thai or farang. how could it spoil it for anyone much less a Thai .. you already said, erroneously, that tips are not expected from Thais Please re-think your "habit". Because I come from Vegas, the tipping city of the world, and believe me, I was stuck in the "habit" of tipping, even when the service was poor - dumb me... :D:D

granted the 500 or 1000 baht tips are not appropriate at TRADITIONAL Thai massage places .... but some tip IS!

Jimmy the cheap...... I massage with my Thai girlfriend every weekend and the walking street in Chiangmai. She insists we tip, I am happy to do so, and always have...... where do you get this idea that Thai's do not Tip, that is utter <deleted>........ looks like your a cheapscape trying to get as far as you can on a cheap pension... sorry for spoiling your fun, I will continue on my path of tipping appropriately as JD has mentioned above..

So your "taking the piss" meter needs re-calibration! :D

I bet they're very appreciative and give him a nice smile when he goes in :o

I don't tip just for the sake of tipping. I clearly stated how I tip according to level of treatment and service.

If a lady is exceptional and knows an exotic massage technique then she is worthy of a significant tip.

It's not like buying a can of soda!!

What part of that is so difficult to grasp? :D

I'm getting mad just thinking about how you over-tippers are spoiling it for the normal customer, :o:D:D either it being a thai or farang. how could it spoil it for anyone much less a Thai .. you already said, erroneously, that tips are not expected from Thais Please re-think your "habit". Because I come from Vegas, the tipping city of the world, and believe me, I was stuck in the "habit" of tipping, even when the service was poor - dumb me... :D:D

Okay, you tip because it is appropriate. Who says it is appropriate to tip massueses? Like a previous poster said, why don't you tip the clerk at MacDonald's... Seems as if you have been in thailand long time, and you mean to tell me you don't see the laziness of these people. Do they ever do anything right the first time, or rather ever??? Try to get some quality work (especially in construction) - doesn't happen.

Okay, you tip because it is appropriate. Who says it is appropriate to tip massueses? Like a previous poster said, why don't you tip the clerk at MacDonald's... Seems as if you have been in thailand long time, and you mean to tell me you don't see the laziness of these people. Do they ever do anything right the first time, or rather ever??? Try to get some quality work (especially in construction) - doesn't happen.

LOL ... you are trying to make this about construction?

I tip because YOU say it is appropriate :bah: (note ... YOU said this ... not me! ... better work on getting the story the same with each post!)

If all you people tip so much for a massage, what percentage do you leave for a tip when you go out to a restaurant???

You people are tipping way too much! Is 20 percent not enough? Sure on certain occassions a bit more would be nice, but all the time. We all know the thais don't tip. Are "farangs" expected to tip, and also make up for those thais that don't tip.

I tip 20-40 baht an hour, most of the time 20 baht. That's 20%. And they are happy...

A massage isn't a standardised commodity like a can of soda or a bag of chips. It's a unique service, which is administered by individual people. If you're going to be a fairly regular customer (like at a shop in your neighborhood), relationships that are built up over time matter. I don't particularly want a massage from 70-80% of the masseurs I have met before or indeed have not met at all yet- they're too weak, too unskilled, too diffident or detached, they don't notice when something is hurting me or helping me unless I say so out loud and then they don't remember it for next time, etc., etc. I've found that the quality over time significantly improves when someone knows you well and knows that you treat them well. I've also found that the masseurs have a considerable amount of leeway in how much time they can spend with a customer and how much time they charge for, and I routinely get an extra 15-20 minutes over the time I've officially paid the shop for.

Perhaps a better comparison than a waiter in a restaurant (who gets a tip share from all the customers if the owner doesn't steal it) is that of a stylist, cosmetician, tailor, or other professional who does custom-tailored work for flexible pricing.

The strong gentleman I mentioned in a previous post works on his day off in a more upmarket beauty salon, still giving massage- but for slightly better money and much better tips. However, he doesn't make that much- he was half-joking with me recently about doing a stint in Saudi Arabia for 30,000B/month plus expenses, and that seemed like good money to him.

I doubt my meagre contributions are doing anything at all to the macroeconomics of the matter, and have no reason to scold those who tip less- though I somehow doubt those folks are getting the best repeat service.

Amazing how this issue raises such passions! You'd think we were discussing the heart of the Thai economy! :o

"S"