Bangkok to Bring Back Convicts for Public Works

snoop1130

5001bc296d4ecb10909e5a55c5181d58_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Justice has stated that it will collaborate with the governor-elect of Bangkok to reintroduce incarcerated individuals to help clear sewers throughout the capital to prevent flooding.

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsutin said he has instructed the Department of Corrections to seek permission from Chadchart Sittipunt and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) in using current convicts for a number of public works, especially those involving sewer cleaning in the city.

Convicts with good behavioral records were contracted to do cleanup work for the BMA in the past. The permission was, however, halted at the start of the pandemic in 2020 by former Bangkok governor Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the country.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Chadchart has since granted the agency permission to rehire this group of men, citing opportunities for the individuals to work for the public and be compensated for their efforts. The governor-elect also thanked the Justice Minister for collaborating with the city to address Bangkok’s issues.

According to reports from the Department of Drainage and Sewerage, Bangkok’s sewer and drainage systems span more than 6,000 kilometers. The BMA said a cleaning task of this magnitude will require a substantial budget and manpower from many related units.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-05-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

In my opinion , a prisoner should have the right to say get 1/3 or 1/2 off his sentence for putting in 8 hour shifts a day doing community service every day. Say 6 days community service knocks 2-3 days off your sentence.  Long as it is monitored well, low risk prisoners, etc. Far better having these people pay back to the community than just sitting rotting away.

Though probably not much take up in my UK, where the inmate have their own TV's , game stations and luxury cells, but in Thailand................

• Like 2

3 weeks back there were a dozen or more convicts cleaning the drains outside my condo.

I don't know why they don't have vacuum trucks to do that..but it got done. 

They lifted the covers and climbed down. Filled up a truck with bags of goop.

Good job.