Share A/c compressor, or separate?

RoyLee

Looking to outfit 3 bedrooms in a house with a/c. Leaning towards inverter a/c as they seem to be all the rage. Trying to decide whether to go with 1 big compressor shared by all 3 rooms, or 1 per room. Actually, only need to do 2 br's for now and most of the time only 1 br occupied.

Recommendations for brands welcomed.  Bangkok area.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Multi-splits seem to be pretty new for Thailand, everyone goes for the mini-split (one compressor per room).

Big plus of the minis - Compressor dies only lose A/C in one room.

Multi - compressor dies ... Get out the sweat-band. 

Unless you have a space issue I would go mini every time.

As would I. At least in the US the multi-spit would be cheaper, here they seem to cost more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Multi-splits seem to be pretty new for Thailand, everyone goes for the mini-split (one compressor per room).

Big plus of the minis - Compressor dies only lose A/C in one room.

Multi - compressor dies ... Get out the sweat-band. 

Unless you have a space issue I would go mini every time.

3 compressors need 3 service charges every 4 - 6 months, 1 multi needs only one. Now if you don't keep to sensible service intervals you only have yourself to blame if there are failures.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I like Carrier, but I think they are mostly all good, and all seem to be well represented in Bangkok.

If money is not tight, be sure to take a hard look at the cassettes, they have really gained in popularity and most brands offer them now. A lot of benefits over wall units, and the only downside is cost. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

They charge for cleaning the evaporators, of which there will be three either way. 

Of course but they are minor service items compared to a compressor. Don't get confused with Thai service of a compressor unit which all too often only seems to be a brush and hp spray of water, that is not a true service and it is normally the compressor units that fail due to poor or non existent servicing.

• Haha 1

Why every 4 to 6 months for service?

We do them about once a year (Daikin and Carrier) and rarely have problems... But we are in Chiang mai so maybe not as much use as Bangkok?

Carrier has an interesting history in the AC industry but Daikin seems to have better parts availability in Thailand.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

So what is a "true" service?

It's not like there are grease nipples or an oil change needed. Most modern units are "sealed for life".

So when did you last have your coolent gas pressures checked ? what should they be according to the manufactures and what were they when checked ?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Excel said:

Of course but they are minor service items compared to a compressor. Don't get confused with Thai service of a compressor unit which all too often only seems to be a brush and hp spray of water, that is not a true service and it is normally the compressor units that fail due to poor or non existent servicing.

On residential units the compressors are typically maintenance  free, which is the primary reason they often come with a ten-year warranty.

The condenser (of which the compressor is a component)  may need to be cleaned once a year in a dusty environment, but (typically) they really require no service beyond that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Excel said:

Don't get confused with Thai service

We are a Thai forum and we live in Thailand.  So not sure what you are trying to say.  As for coolant have only had one issue in more than 40 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Why every 4 to 6 months for service?

We do them about once a year (Daikin and Carrier) and rarely have problems... But we are in Chiang mai so maybe not as much use as Bangkok?

Carrier has an interesting history in the AC industry but Daikin seems to have better parts availability in Thailand.

If the units are installed correctly, you should only have to clean your filter (I try to clean mine every month or two) and you may have to clean the condenser once a year. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

We are a Thai forum and we live in Thailand.  So not sure what you are trying to say.  As for coolant have only had one issue in more than 40 years.

Not sure what you are talking about either. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Excel said:

So when did you last have your coolent gas pressures checked ? what should they be according to the manufactures and what were they when checked ?

There is no reason to check the refrigerant pressure if the unit is operating correctly. Unnecessary checking has no benefit, and could introduce contaminates into the system, or could even result in the valve leaking.

An air conditioner does not "use" refrigerant, they only get low if they are leaking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

On residential units the compressors are typically maintenance  free, which is the primary reason they often come with a ten-year warranty.

The condenser (of which the compressor is a component)  may need to be cleaned once a year in a dusty environment, but (typically) they really require no service beyond that.  

Wrong, and that misconception is exactly why most ac compressors fail.  But still frankly I couldn't care less. Ignorance of a subject is no justification for attempting to think you are right.

• Haha 2

I'm also concerned about efficiency of a big unit only cooling 1 br.  Maybe the new inverter style are more efficient in that regard.  The big 9 year old compressor at the old condo (supplies 3 evaporators) cost about 1,000baht/mth cooling mostly just 1 room while sleeping. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:
2 hours ago, Excel said:

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

So what is a "true" service?

It's not like there are grease nipples or an oil change needed. Most modern units are "sealed for life".

Yes, I'll agree with that. I had 3 Carrier units in my apartment in Egypt. The annual service for the compressors consisted a bucket of water chucked over them to remove the sand. The never failed once in 8 years.

They'll need a little bit more than that here, especially in urban environments with high air pollution, but a good clean with a high pressure hose should more than suffice.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

If the units are installed correctly, you should only have to clean your filter (I try to clean mine every month or two) and you may have to clean the condenser once a year. 

That's what I have experienced - although you are more diligent with your filter cleaning...

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Wrong, and that misconception is exactly why most ac compressors fail.  But still frankly I couldn't care less. Ignorance of a subject is no justification for attempting to think you are right.

Sounds like you have had some bad experiences with AC units which is different than what others are posting. I wonder your ACs were not name brands such as Carrier and Daikon? Could that explain the difference in experience?

I have around 15 units in my office and home and almost never have a problem with once a year cleanings and the guy who comes out to do it only suggests once a year and he would suggest more often if he thought it a good idea as he makes money from the cleaning...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The checking and refilling of gas is in general a complete scam, just putting the gages on the system will allow a fractional discharge also the cycling of the Schrader valves has a significant chance of inducing leaks and it’s good practice to replace them each time they get used.

Thank you - I didn't know that!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Excel said:

Wrong, and that misconception is exactly why most ac compressors fail.

Actually, I have not had a compressor fail in the over twenty years I have been here. I managed a plant for eighteen of those years that had at least twenty mini-splits, and I'm in my third home that has seven mini-splits, two of which (York)  are over twenty years old, and were moved from my first home, to my second home, and then to my current home. Still blowing cold.

22 hours ago, Excel said:

But still frankly I couldn't care less. Ignorance of a subject is no justification for attempting to think you are right.

What is your primary language? 

23 hours ago, Excel said:

3 compressors need 3 service charges every 4 - 6 months, 1 multi needs only one. Now if you don't keep to sensible service intervals you only have yourself to blame if there are failures.

One main service or year, and the secondary cleaning of philthers you do your selves if you can access the compressors yourself. 

39 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually, I have not had a compressor fail in the over twenty years I have been here. I managed a plant for eighteen of those years that had at least twenty mini-splits, and I'm in my third home that has seven mini-splits, two of which (York)  are over twenty years old, and were moved from my first home, to my second home, and then to my current home. Still blowing cold.

What is your primary language? 

I don't normally argue with minors, or those with the mentality of them so I shall make no exception for you, happily you can enjoy being on my ignore list from now on.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Excel said:

I don't normally argue with minors, or those with the mentality of them so I shall make no exception for you, happily you can enjoy being on my ignore list from now on.

That's what I thought, thanks.