Car Purchase

I have Thai friend who is purchasing a second hand car from a falang.

What is the norm for who pays an agent to have all the necessary  paperwork that is required to change the owners name. Is it the buyer or the seller?

• Confused 2

I guess safest would be, write up bill of sale, on transfer of title, transfer fund to sellers account.  Thus having receipt of transfer/payment.  

Or could both hold in hand, and on 3 ..... 1 ... 2  ... 3 .... release said transfer & funds ... ????

I've only done one 2nd hand car, and sort of knew, trusted the seller, so not an issue.  Never really heard of anyone getting shafted at the 'transfer' of title & money.  

When I (a farang) sold my truck to a Thai, they came to my house, looked at the truck, agreed a price, they produced LTO forms for me to fill in and sign.

They used their phone to transfer the money into my account, my phone sent me a bank message, the money was there.

Mrs.T went with the buyers to the LTO, they came back, LTO wants a copy of my visa, I printed one off, job done, easy....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How do people usually pay for the vehicle, what's the timing?

I'm just talking private sale for cash between seller and buyer at the DLT office and it can be all sorted with the forms,  the vehicle check the green book verified at a local DLT office. 

3 hours ago, lelapin said:

I have Thai friend who is purchasing a second hand car from a falang.

What is the norm for who pays an agent to have all the necessary  paperwork that is required to change the owners name. Is it the buyer or the seller?

The one who wants to use an agent should pay for him.

If you buy from a professional seller, usually the seller will take care of the transfer and the fees that come with it.

If you buy from a private seller, his part of the deal is completed when he hands you the vehicle, key, book and completed transfer documents. Doing the transfer and paying the fees will usually be done by you.

My preferred method when buying from private, or selling to private, is to meet together at the DLT, so you can have the people at the DLT check that all documents are in order, and when they confirm that everything is in order you transfer the money and let the DLT process the documents to do the transfer, like this you won't have any surprise later.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The one who wants to use an agent should pay for him.

If you buy from a professional seller, usually the seller will take care of the transfer and the fees that come with it.

If you buy from a private seller, his part of the deal is completed when he hands you the vehicle, key, book and completed transfer documents. Doing the transfer and paying the fees will usually be done by you.

My preferred method when buying from private, or selling to private, is to meet together at the DLT, so you can have the people at the DLT check that all documents are in order, and when they confirm that everything is in order you transfer the money and let the DLT process the documents to do the transfer, like this you won't have any surprise later.

Any idea what an agents fees might be?