Heat Pump Clothes Dryer

Yellowtail

I am going to replace my existing vented clothes dryer with a new one, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the heat-pump dryers? 

I know they use less energy, but the big attraction for me is that it would not have to vent to the outside, and the laundry room would be cooler. 

I have an LG Inverter Sensor Dry 10.5 KG dryer, works like a charm, and have yet, in 2 years, found the upper reservoir to have any residual water in it. Bought it at Home-Pro. 

RC9066A3FT-1-100x100.jpg

Not sure about the laundry room being cooler, we get a pretty good amount of heat coming from the unit, but the house AC in the location the washer and dryer are at seems to dissipate it.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

Recently brought a heat pump dryer, this shouldn't be confused with a condenser dryer, different animal. Works well without adding any heat into the laundry, as for power usage I don't have anything prior experience for comparison. 

ThailandRyan, is your unit's water collection plumbed into the waste water system as I cannot understand how your collection tank hasn't any water in it if it's not discharged to waste. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 6:22 PM, Artisi said:

Recently brought a heat pump dryer, this shouldn't be confused with a condenser dryer, different animal. Works well without adding any heat into the laundry, as for power usage I don't have anything prior experience for comparison. 

ThailandRyan, is your unit's water collection plumbed into the waste water system as I cannot understand how your collection tank hasn't any water in it if it's not discharged to waste. 

Thanks. How long have you had it? Did you not have a dryer before of just do not have an idea of the power consumption? 

Do you use it quite a bit? 

I have a vented dryer that works great now, but it's 10-15 years old and getting noisy. I do not care much about the energy savings, but I would like to be able to move the laundry room away from the exterior wall. 

On 6/12/2022 at 7:59 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I have an LG Inverter Sensor Dry 10.5 KG dryer, works like a charm, and have yet, in 2 years, found the upper reservoir to have any residual water in it. Bought it at Home-Pro. 

RC9066A3FT-1-100x100.jpg

Not sure about the laundry room being cooler, we get a pretty good amount of heat coming from the unit, but the house AC in the location the washer and dryer are at seems to dissipate it.

Do you have the RC9066A3F? If so, I thinks it's a condenser, not heat heat-pump, but thanks!

• 11 months later...

Just following up. Finally bought a new Samsung heat-pump dryer, and so far, I am pretty impressed. My primary concern from the reading I did was that it would be much slower than the old, vented unit, but is does not seem significantly slower and with the additional capacity is arguably faster. 

Have not piped in the drain yet, so the water collects in a tank, and it is pretty interesting how much water is extracted from a load of laundry. 

Underwear, towels and bedding all seem noticeably softer and less wrinkled than with the old unit as well. 

Only bummer was that the Samsung "installation" team was largely useless. 

Condensor dryer (heat pump) is the way to go, efficient and convenient. I usually try to dry the clothes as much as I can on the clothes line and finish them off in the dryer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a couple weeks in and I'm still happy with it. 

Things I like: 

It's big, 16kg so over twice as big as the old one.

It's quiet. The old one had gotten noisier over the years, but the new one is way quieter than the old one ever was.

It does not generate nearly as much heat in the laundry room as the old one.

The clothes seem like they come out softer that the from the old one.

Light inside when you open the door (or turn on)

It's heavy. Weight is generally a good indicator of quality, the washer doesn't shake at all (so far) and the washer-dryer stack has not moved a millimeter since it was installed.

It's high. Dryer opening is at eye level, and washer is a good bit easier to get laundry in and out of. 

Things I don't like:

It's black. Looks good now, but I assume it will start to look dingy with age. Probably the washer more so than the dryer. 

The door is black glass, which means you can't really see the clothes tumbling unless you turn the interior light on, and then it's not great. Same with the washer.

It's heavy. Tried to slide the stack out a bit to reconfigure the hoses and I think I might have to wait for my boy to help me. 

Not sure:

It has a rack that fits in the dryer that you can use to dry shoes and whatnot without them tumbling. Have not tried it yet, but it seems interesting.