Convert Non-Imm (O) to Non-Imm (B)

I have been offered a job with a large multi-national company on a WFH assignment. Unfortunately the Company's representative in Thailand is telling me that I must leave Thailand, go back to my Home Country (UK) cancel my Non-O visa (retirement) and apply for Non-B which could take up to 4 weeks? Then I return to Thailand and get Work Permit after 7 days.

Does anybody know from personal experience if it's possible to convert my Non-O to Non-B without leaving Thailand? I haven't been back to the UK for many years and would prefer to avoid this as I no longer have family living there.

Thanks in advance...

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories without leaving the country to apply for a new one.

It is possible to change your extension of stay based retirement to one based upon working. But the problem you will have is getting a work permit application approval letter to apply for the extension based upon working.

You do not have to return to your home country to apply for non-b visa. It can be done at a nearby Thai embassy or official consulate. The company would need to apply for a work permit using a WP4 form that is for those that are outside the country.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories without leaving the country to apply for a new one.

It is possible to change your extension of stay based retirement to one based upon working. But the problem you will have is getting a work permit application approval letter to apply for the extension based upon working.

You do not have to return to your home country to apply for non-b visa. It can be done at a nearby Thai embassy or official consulate. The company would need to apply for a work permit using a WP4 form that is for those that are outside the country.

Thanks Joe... I was under the impression that I could apply at any Thai Embassy, but Thai company rep was adamant that I had to go back to Home Country to apply. 

3 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Thanks Joe... I was under the impression that I could apply at any Thai Embassy, but Thai company rep was adamant that I had to go back to Home Country to apply. 

He wrong for neary embassies and official consulates. At many others you have to be a resident to apply for a visa now.

Perhaps show them the visa requirements on the Vientiane Thai embassy website here. https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

There is not mention of the need to be a legal resident of Laos to apply for a non-b visa.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Is this really the case? We are looking to change my partner's from non-B extension to non-O dependent extension as he plans to leave his job. I've been told he can do the change domestically.

For the e-visa you cannot do it in Singapore unless you are Singaporean, but can you do it in person (apply for a non-O in Singapore) as a non-Singaporean who doesn't live in Singapore?

(edit to clarify extension of stay rather than visa)

Edited by sussex

2 minutes ago, sussex said:

Is this really the case? We are looking to change my partner's from non-B to non-O dependent as he plans to leave his job. I've been told he can do the change domestically.

All that needs to be done is to change the reason for the extension stay from working to being a family member.

More confusion caused by calling extension a visa. Non immigrant visa categories cannot be changed.