Low Calorie Drinks

dsfbrit

I have looked all over for low calorie drinks. The only thing I can find - apart from water - is Pepsi Max or Coke Zero.

Full of caffeine.

Recently back in the UK I went into Tesco and they had loads of low calorie orange squash, lemon squash etc... just add some water - really refreshing.

But not over here???

Any thoughts???

This is a huge problem for me being on the wagon and also being an insulin dependant diabetic,(soft drinks containing sugar are deadly).

Coke Zero, Coke Lite and Pepsi Max are the only non sugar soft drinks that I have found in LOS. I have to say though that only a few years ago you couldn't find even these outside of the major hotels, so I guess we have to be thankful for small mercies.

Soda water is an obvious, and with a squeeze of lime, tastes even better.

I also sometimes make myself a lemon juice drink - soda, loads of squeezed limes and I sweeten it up with 'Equal' powder (available in most supermarkets). I've even done this is bars and restaurants when I've asked the a waitress for a "nam n'now" without any added sugar, and mixed in my own non calorie sweetener.

There's always iced coffee and tea - again with sweeteners mixed in.

And last but not least I drink a small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning. Sure it contains natural sugar, but I find Thai oranges not very sweet, and the benefits outweigh the small amount of sugar I imbibe.

Try to just drink water... I like it chilled, no ice. Any other kind of beverage is probably not real healthy, except green tea, which you can easily find decafinated. Diet drinks usually have lots of chemicals, and will bloat you the same as a sugary drink will. Don't fall into the trap of drinking juices, which are high in calories... much better to eat an actual piece of fruit.

I used to drink sugary soft drinks, then switched to Diet Coke... after a while, I got tired of the bad taste, and just switched to water. I would suggest trying to ween yourself off everything but water.

Vegetable juices like V-8 are usually VERY HIGH in salt... often unhealthy levels... better to eat real vegetables.

Best choice for a beverage: water... I rarely drink anything else, and I'm quite happy with it...

If you're desperate, try the markets in Bangkok: Siam Paragon downstaris, Central Chit Lom, Villa Market, etc.

BigSnake - Over the past 2 years I have looked in every aisle of the big Supermarkets in Pattaya. I spoke to the managers of several of them - with no result. I have emailed several of the suppliers here in Thailand and Tesco in the UK - no replies even!

As for 7/11 - I look every time I go in - but nothing - just cans of diet Coke and Pepsi Max Bottles- oh and of course water!

Weho - agreed - the thing is I am fed up drinking water. I could try the green tea. I was drinking a lot of normal tea, but that has caffeine. I now drink Decaf coffee as an alternative. Trouble is Decaf coffee has Caffeine in it - according to a news item on Fox News I saw a couple of weeks ago!!!

Jimmy The Mook - maybe thats the way to go! Perhaps I could find a recipe book somewhere - or come up with our own! I have made some drinks recently out of water and lemon and some other bits and pieces - which was OK.

Mobi - I gave up the booze as well - nearly 4 years ago now. One problem I have is that when I drink with friends - I have to drink something to be sociable - have a glass in my hand. I tend to prefer a beer glass - as it feels more 'natural' so I drink a LOT of soft drinks in an evening! It would therefor be nice to have a change from water! and something easy to make. Soda water sounds a good idea as a base along with some lemon juice, lime juices etc... Time to get mixing methinks!

Emcross.Ben@H3Digital - me neither - I guess the Thais are just not interested? Or is it just the Brits and Americans that are hooked on this type of drink???

Anyway thanks for the feedback - I reckon looking further in the supermarkets is a waste of time - making - my own is the best approach - I will give it a go!

Now if I could just find some healthy Yoghourt I would be in heaven!!!

Mobi - I gave up the booze as well - nearly 4 years ago now. One problem I have is that when I drink with friends - I have to drink something to be sociable - have a glass in my hand. I tend to prefer a beer glass - as it feels more 'natural' so I drink a LOT of soft drinks in an evening! It would therefor be nice to have a change from water! and something easy to make. Soda water sounds a good idea as a base along with some lemon juice, lime juices etc... Time to get mixing methinks!

Yeah that's the hardest part . I usually start with a couple of diet cokes, then switch to soda, then bottled water, and if it's a really long session, end up drinking coffee, coz I'm falling asleep! The thing is, that if you're not drinking alcohol, you can't drink at the same pace as those who are. I sometimes sit on a bottle of soda for hours. Bars used to be my favourite places, but not any longer.

As I said, a few years ago you couldn't find any diet drinks in Thailand at all, so maybe they will slowly catch up - there's a lot of current concern about diabetes, heart problems and generally unhealthy diets, so who knows?

During my drinking days I did once buy low calorie tonic water in BKK. Not sure where, but I think it was Villa.

I guess low calorie tonic mixed with something non alcoholic might make a nice cool drink.

Mobi: I recognise that experience - I guess Ungabunga has the better time in bars nowadays! Sadly I dont think drinking San Miguel Light is really the solution I was looking for. :o

I have had low calorie tonic in the UK and it was fine... mind you think it was mixed with gin at that time :D

Try to just drink water... I like it chilled, no ice. Any other kind of beverage is probably not real healthy, except green tea, which you can easily find decafinated. Diet drinks usually have lots of chemicals, and will bloat you the same as a sugary drink will. Don't fall into the trap of drinking juices, which are high in calories... much better to eat an actual piece of fruit.

I used to drink sugary soft drinks, then switched to Diet Coke... after a while, I got tired of the bad taste, and just switched to water. I would suggest trying to ween yourself off everything but water.

Vegetable juices like V-8 are usually VERY HIGH in salt... often unhealthy levels... better to eat real vegetables.

Best choice for a beverage: water... I rarely drink anything else, and I'm quite happy with it...

If you're desperate, try the markets in Bangkok: Siam Paragon downstaris, Central Chit Lom, Villa Market, etc.

What about your new coffee machine?

"I got a great deal last week on a coffee machine at Carrefour... with one of those steamer/froth thingies coming out the side"

De-caf anyone?

Edited by markr

I have looked all over for low calorie drinks. The only thing I can find - apart from water - is Pepsi Max or Coke Zero.

Full of caffeine.

Recently back in the UK I went into Tesco and they had loads of low calorie orange squash, lemon squash etc... just add some water - really refreshing.

But not over here???

Any thoughts???

you are a desesperate man from ????? just drink water and if water here is not good for you ! import from your country like amerigay in vietnam war 30 years ago !!!!!!!

Full of caffeine.

But not over here???

Any thoughts???

you are a desesperate man from ????? just drink water and if water here is not good for you ! import from your country like amerigay in vietnam war 30 years ago !!!!!!!

Amerigay?

Hmmmm! I wonder??

Edited by markr

Full of caffeine.

But not over here???

Any thoughts???

Amerigay?

Hmmmm! I wonder??

Mark:, I wondered if there was a hidden meaning there as well ??? I was only desperate for some variation in my drinking habits - honest :D

Awayfoe: Come off it - are you saying you only eat boiled rice and fish for each meal every day. Its called variation and is one of the joys of life.

Blimey I dont smoke, nor drink, eat unhealthy food, nor take advantage of the pleasures offered in the bars of Patters. I don't even pollute the planet with unnecessary carbon. So Please Please Please allow me to at least sample the as yet unknown delights of some fluid that isn't bl**dy water. :o

Macx: If I were able to take one or two small sips of certain fluids - I wouldn't have had to give up the booze four years ago. :D

edit: by the way I tried lime and soda water yesterday in a pint beer glass (courtesy of x local pub in the UK) with ice and it was delicious - so thanks for that tip.

Edited by dsfbrit