MG Grand D

Hi All
  I have just purchased an MG Grand D in Thailand 3 years old with 8000 Kilometers on the clock.
  A really beautiful vehicle but every time my wife selects first gear the engine cuts out,all other gears select no problem. My wife is a good driver and has driven many different vehicles.
       She has have been in contact with the MG dealership in Phetchabun to be told a common problem with MG manual gearbox with no solution, can this be true.
      I would be extremely grateful if anyone has experienced an MG gearbox problem like this with their solution or if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may be

Kind Regards Peter

18.jpg

On a manual gearbox vehicle the engine management electronics (ECU) does not receive information about which gear has been selected, so you need to think about mechanical causes.

I am not familiar with this vehicle, however several years ago we sold a Citroen car. The customer came back after a few days with the same complaint that you have. After a lot of investigation we found it was due to a poor electrical connection to the HP Diesel pump on the engine. The high torque reaction when pulling off in first gear was causing the engine to rock on its mounts and tug slightly on the fuel pump feed wire, pulling the connector apart slightly. When setting off in second gear the engine rocked less and the problem didn't occur.

• Like 1

Hi HauptmannUK,

Problem on Citroen must have taken some finding and the relief when finally discovering the answer

must have made you say blooming heck unbelievable. I hope I can say same  soon, unfortunately not being in Thailand

at the moment I have to rely on wife's observations  and she is in no way mechanically  minded.

I did observe problem over Skype not ideal I know but sure enough just the art of engaging first gear causes engine to stop 

could not really determine if this was cut out or stall I have asked her to go to a few local garages, some of these lads are good

and might have an idea or two Thanks for your input all ideas welcome

Kind Regards Peter

23 hours ago, peterpeter said:

MG dealership in Phetchabun to be told a common problem with MG manual gearbox with no solution

Really? That makes no sense. TIT though. I thought MG's had a 4 year warranty here though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, peterpeter said:

Hi HauptmannUK,

Problem on Citroen must have taken some finding and the relief when finally discovering the answer

must have made you say blooming heck unbelievable. I hope I can say same  soon, unfortunately not being in Thailand

at the moment I have to rely on wife's observations  and she is in no way mechanically  minded.

I did observe problem over Skype not ideal I know but sure enough just the art of engaging first gear causes engine to stop 

could not really determine if this was cut out or stall I have asked her to go to a few local garages, some of these lads are good

and might have an idea or two Thanks for your input all ideas welcome

Kind Regards Peter

Sounds strange and very difficult to make a diagnosis with limited information...

Video the engine when it stops. A stalled engine will stop immediately and rock on its mounts. If fuel supply is shut off it will stop less violently and may continue to make one or two revolutions.

Few thinks to check...

1. Check operation of clutch pedal switch (if it has one).

2. Check for clutch drag (on flat ground with engine off, engage 1st gear, depress clutch. Does car easily roll back and forth?).

3. Engage 1st gear, depress clutch and then try to start engine. Does it start?

4. Look for any wires contacting or fouling the gearshift linkages (both under the centre console and in the engine compartment).

• Like 1

" Common problem with MG manual gearbox "

It's actually a common problem with dealerships of any brand, and the BS excuse that is used to avoid saying their staff does not have the competence to fix it. Usually one is then forced to find an independent mechanic that knows the brand inside out.

• Like 1

Hi Warrima ,

Has 12 month warranty from place bought who have stated take to  MG dealership  to repair

on phoning MG Phetchabun and describing problem told a common problem with MG manual gearbox with no solution

this put wife off so did not travel the 70 kilometers to check it out could be like Lasessit said just fobbed her off 

Thanks HauptmannUK, excellent Idea  but I do not look forward to trying to explain, how wife and her sister go about

one in car in first gear with clutch in one pushing to see if it moves freely

Thanks All

On 6/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, peterpeter said:

Hi Warrima ,

Has 12 month warranty from place bought who have stated take to  MG dealership  to repair

on phoning MG Phetchabun and describing problem told a common problem with MG manual gearbox with no solution

this put wife off so did not travel the 70 kilometers to check it out could be like Lasessit said just fobbed her off 

Thanks HauptmannUK, excellent Idea  but I do not look forward to trying to explain, how wife and her sister go about

one in car in first gear with clutch in one pushing to see if it moves freely

Thanks All

Don't need a 2nd person to push. Do the test on a slight slope (up or down, matters not) and see if it rolls when the clutch is depressed whilst in 1st gear (engine off).

• 3 months later...

Hi Both,

Sorry for the extremely late reply Lancashirelad excellent Idea give that a go 

and Yellowtail she is a very good driver on standard but unfortunately catching the Thai habit

driving to fast with disregard for other road users

Thanks Peter