Renew driving license in Chiang Mai

FriendlyFarang

Time to renew my driving license soon (just waiting for certificate of residence) at the DLT on the way to Hang Dong.

This time it will be 2 to 5 years.

Anything other required than certificate of residence and doctors certificate? Do I have to make an appointment?

Better to renew a while after it technically is expired because you have one year to renew, and if you wait until after the quoted expiry date you get almost 6 years instead of 5. Some quirk in the computer system does this!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brommers said:

Better to renew a while after it technically is expired because you have one year to renew, and if you wait until after the quoted expiry date you get almost 6 years instead of 5. Some quirk in the computer system does this!

So then I have a 5 year license. After it expires how long do I have to renew it before one must start training from zero, or is that even an issue?

My five year license will expire next year, the year I turn 80. My driving skills have deteriorated, so I no longer drive at night. And my day time drives are one or two a week, most just in the local moo baan. And when I have doctor or dental appointment, I hire a neighbor to drive me, or drive the wife, (who no longer drives).

And in my 20 years here, I've never had to show my drivers' license to anyone (what are other's experiences?). So, why renew a license that seemingly has no utility? The car's insurance, which is 15000 baht for a three year old car (top of the line insurance), is in the wife's name (as is the car). Would I (actually, the wife) be denied a claim with an expired license? And, since I can easily self insure my driving, since liabilities in Thailand aren't the horror stories in the States, why continue paying 15000 baht/yr for protection I can easily cover myself?

Anyway, I'm leaning on not renewing my drivers' license. Good idea or bad? Thanx.

32 minutes ago, JimGant said:

And in my 20 years here, I've never had to show my drivers' license to anyone (what are other's experiences?).

Probably way over 100 times at police checkpoints, I also use it as ID when sending parcels, when flying domestically and when checking into hotels.

33 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Would I (actually, the wife) be denied a claim with an expired license? And, since I can easily self insure my driving, since liabilities in Thailand aren't the horror stories in the States, why continue paying 15000 baht/yr for protection I can easily cover myself?

They probably wouldn't pay.

Let's say you cause an accident with another car and the other car happens to be a 5 million baht Benz which is totaled. You just pay this out if pocket, no problem?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Anyway, I'm leaning on not renewing my drivers' license. Good idea or bad? Thanx.

I know it sucks to waste a day renewing your driver's license but..
What could happen if you are involved in an accident driving near your neighborhood ?

????

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can renew within 1 year of expiry before you have to go through the process again. 

What about insurance cover in case of an accident if one goes 1 or 2 months late ?

Will the insurance still cover one? 

Going late maybe one  could run into some trouble. 

16 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What about insurance cover in case of an accident if one goes 1 or 2 months late ?

Will the insurance still cover one? 

Going late maybe one  could run into some trouble. 

Compulsory insurance (medical cost up to 30k/300k) also pays if you don't have a license.

Any voluntary insurance might refuse to pay, because you were driving without a license.

• Thanks 1

I just got my renewed license today.  It expired in 2019 and I was sure I would have to start over but that was not the case.  I have been trapped outside of Thailand for all this time.

I had to show passport, certificate of residence (500 baht for one day service) and physical done as a walk in at KlaiMor Hospital next to Lotus for 200 baht.

I had to make an appointment  three days after my first visit to view a 45 minute safety video where one Brit, and 8 Chinese speakers and myself watched the video in English.   Since I had only a 30 day entry stamp in my passport they gave me only a 2 year license this time.

Go upstairs to window 27 for friendly service.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chosenfew said:

You also need a medical check doc from any clinic.

I have had a license for many years, last renewed in 2018. I was never asked for a doctor's certificate. Is this a new requirement?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 1:22 PM, uptome1946 said:

I just got my renewed license today.  It expired in 2019 and I was sure I would have to start over but that was not the case.  I have been trapped outside of Thailand for all this time.

This is a great news.  I am in the same situation, mine expired in 2020, I am planning to go back to CM to do the renewal. I already booked a slot online in August. But can you just walk in there and appointment in 3 days? 

Can you get the residency certificate in CM in a few days with hotel stay? I won't have a proper rental contract this time. In Bangkok I heard it would 2 weeks to get residency certificate... I thought of paying to an agent to get it done, but maybe if it can be done with the hotel, I can give it a try by myself first.

Edited by chikuwa