Legalising a UK marriage with a Lao citizen

brewsterbudgen

The UK Embassy in Laos recently announced that an agreement had been reached to facilitate the legal recognition of a UK marriage between a UK citizen and a Lao citizen.  I married my Lao wife in the UK 6 years ago, so enquired whether this can be done retrospectively.  They referred me to the Lao Embassy in London, who sent me this list of requirements.  It's not exactly clear, so if anyone has done this or can suggest what they mean, I'd be grateful!

Information Note for foreigners.pdf

On 6/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

UK Embassy in Laos recently announced

The Facebook group should have the latest info, as that document is dated 2014, so if there was a change, it wouldn't be reflected in that list.

The week before the pandemic closed the borders, I had gone to a police station in Thakhek, Lao to show them a stack of paperwork similar to those listed with the end result being to get permission from the government to get married. I was there with the girl's uncle and parents. The police looked at my papers, then showed me examples of what they wanted, and even photocopied some examples to take back.

Of those listed for the foreigner, below are the not-so-obvious ones:

• Personal letter: a bio, and I think an explanation of how we met.
  • Working certificate: work history
  • Status: confirming that I was single, and if previously married documentation that I was legally divorced.
  • Commitment letter: that I was committed to marry her and if we divorced, I would guarantee that I would give her the funds to return to her family in Laos.

For me, the borders closed the following week, so I never had an opportunity to go back with revisions. 

Good luck.