Typical Thailand: No sooner has Jomtien beach been made beautiful traders take over - But NO MORE!

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

traders have to clear off from the sands, footpaths and roads blocking traffic by Monday or they will be arrested. 

And then they have to get their release with brown envelopes and big wais. So better pay here than there.

55 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Don't kick them all out as those traders add to the place's colour and atmosphere, regulate and allow by licencing only, just you do to most things in Thailand...

But isn't that what brown envelopes due, protection and insurance, well in a corrupt nation like we are in the answer is Yes...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was there 3 weeks ago and the water was the worst I've ever seen it there. And don't say it's because of waves hitting muddy bottom. 

there is an outlet of storm canal/sewer which washed away part of the new beach.

For over a month they are laying there those huge multi ton sandbags.

This beach is washed away by the current. Unless they protect it in some way, it would disappear - as the previous one. Just matter of time.

Water will always be dirty on the new beach, they don't fill it up with pure sand. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Now five local authorities including the Na Jomtien municipality, Sattahip authority, police, Harbor Dept and Navy have held a meeting.

Are they not the "bent officials" being paid to look the other way?

• Haha 1

A beach without traders is boring and pointless. They provide  a great service which most  visitors really like and really  appreciate. One of the charms of being here is range of goods,  services foods and drinks available. The authorities ruined lower  suk, changed KSR for the worse and in general are the enemies  of fun, entertainment and natural  growth

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A beach without traders is boring and pointless. They provide  a great service which most  visitors really like and really  appreciate. One of the charms of being here is range of goods,  services foods and drinks available. The authorities ruined lower  suk, changed KSR for the worse and in general are the enemies  of fun, entertainment and natural  growth

I haven't seen any survey..... but your examples of ruined are hardly beach traders being on KSR and lower Suk....I always felt blocking the pavements to that extent was a right royal pia.

I would trade them off in Pattaya, let them do the beaches, but a bit more control at the beer bars..... get rid of the ones who sneak back up later and whack you over the back of the head, or steal your lighter, 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I haven't seen any survey..... but your examples of ruined are hardly beach traders being on KSR and lower Suk....I always felt blocking the pavements to that extent was a right royal pia.

I would trade them off in Pattaya, let them do the beaches, but a bit more control at the beer bars..... get rid of the ones who sneak back up later and whack you over the back of the head, or steal your lighter, 

What on earth are you talking about ?  

9 hours ago, Seppius said:

They only did this to the beach so they can widen the road. You watch

this widened beach is now some 70m (and can be widened later on, when all work would be finished in nothern part).

On that stretch pavement is very narrow, only about 1m, so a paved path below pavement would be good addition - that for joggers, walkers.

There should be also proper parking bays, not just long wise to the pavement. They have them in Jomtien.

Otherwise parking on any unused land patches across the road.

That would solve road congestion, at least for some time. 

• Like 1