Flight Price Anomaly...SQ Economy More Expensive Than Premium Economy

For an upcoming trip from Phuket to San Francisco return, I found this interesting pricing anomaly - the price for economy class was more expensive than for premium Economy by about 5k baht - economy class being 66k while premium economy is 57k. This is on SQ's non-stop SIN-SFO service on a new Airbus A-350 aircraft.

Screenshot_20220627-002324_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a693f10fc010d724ec0f9291a2159662.jpg

Screenshot_20220627-001918_Chrome.thumb.jpg.47aef2d2cb6046fb7d1724bf5535cc6a.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Some of my clients find first class cheaper than business. It is to do with supply and demand and the price matrix airlines use.  It is if first is empty and business only has one seat left scenario

Doing a little more searching, I also found a Business Class fare for 113k, also on Singapore Air, which is less than 2x the Economy fare (usually 3-4x). I leaning towards Biz at this price.

Screenshot_20220627-192910_Chrome.thumb.jpg.da480d8b162779daa48c4f73b48e085d.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, treetops said:

5 hours and 13 hours transit.  No demand for that so it's reflected in the price.

SIN is one of the best airports for a long transit stop...lots to do and eat and now even has the Jewel fountain and gardens.

17 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

SIN is one of the best airports for a long transit stop...lots to do and eat and now even has the Jewel fountain and gardens.

Agreed, but long transits are still unpopular hence the price.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, treetops said:

Agreed, but long transits are still unpopular hence the price.

Actually 5 hours is almost the shortest transit time SQ has on this flight (one is shorter at 3 hours); most of the others are much longer, with the longest at 44 hours. These other flights, on the same day, are 135k. No, it's something with the travel date (or a mis-price), as the price for all other days in the month range from 135k to over 150k.

Screenshot_20220629-062642_Chrome.thumb.jpg.32c6a0e26c26383c10ac2067e757e239.jpg

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

No, it's something with the travel date (or a mis-price), as the price for all other days in the month range from 135k to over 150k.

On the same dates, outbound transit 3.5 hours and return transit < 3 hours price is 177K Baht, and the first leg is on Scoot so not even in business class.

Over 60,000 baht more expensive to have decent transit times.

i'd go for that business class fare with the overnight at SIN on the way back.  assuming you can get a transit hotel airside, as the OP notes, SIN is a good airport for transit.  i usually fly through ICN to USA from BKK and i use their transit hotel rooms regularly for long layovers on business class tickets at around 3,000usd.  usually asiana but i've also done korean/delta combo.  but the long layover is going to USA, not the return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

On the same dates, outbound transit 3.5 hours and return transit < 3 hours price is 177K Baht, and the first leg is on Scoot so not even in business class.

Over 60,000 baht more expensive to have decent transit times.

Most travelers would be more than happy to spend 5 hours relaxing in the Kris Flyer Business Class lounge at Changi Airport so would probably consider the more expensive price and shorter transit time a negative...on a flight of this length (about 20 hours or so) two hours makes no difference. 

As can be seen below, other dates/prices for this SQ flight are up to 200k (and even 250k - Business not First/Suites - on other not shown dates); so 113k is cheap as chips for this flight on one of the most consistently highest rated airlines in the world.

Screenshot_20220629-154055_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ed22e4700479f530c5f47766a8690a3.jpg

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

1 hour ago, buick said:

i'd go for that business class fare with the overnight at SIN on the way back.  assuming you can get a transit hotel airside, as the OP notes, SIN is a good airport for transit.  i usually fly through ICN to USA from BKK and i use their transit hotel rooms regularly for long layovers on business class tickets at around 3,000usd.  usually asiana but i've also done korean/delta combo.  but the long layover is going to USA, not the return.

I was pricing Aseana because they usually have competitive prices trans-pacific but no real savings and their hard and soft products have really declined over the years. I was originally going to book PE at about 60k but will likely book Biz as this SQ fare is too good to pass up.

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Most travelers would be more than happy to spend 5 hours relaxing in the Kris Flyer Business Class lounge at Changi Airport so would probably consider the more expensive price and shorter transit time a negative...on a flight of this length (about 20 hours or so) two hours makes no difference.

5 hours at a push - there's only so much you can eat or drink - but 13 on the return?  I think the price has gone now anyway so it's all moot.

image.png.d530a3183f68154d511caf48438854f6.png

2 hours ago, treetops said:

5 hours at a push - there's only so much you can eat or drink - but 13 on the return?  I think the price has gone now anyway so it's all moot.

image.png.d530a3183f68154d511caf48438854f6.png

Good thing I bought mine already...SQ must be monitoring this forum ????

20 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I was pricing Aseana because they usually have competitive prices trans-pacific but no real savings and their hard and soft products have really declined over the years. I was originally going to book PE at about 60k but will likely book Biz as this SQ fare is too good to pass up.

i had to ride their A330 for all four legs on my trip in May 2022.  that was tough.  in the past, i've managed to get the A380 BKK-ICN, the 777 or 350 for ICN-SEA-ICN and then the A330.  so just one leg on the A330.  same with the korean/delta combo, i get three good, newish aircraft/seats, but then on that last leg, ICN-BKK i get the one of the oldies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SussexExpat said:

Have you read recent customer reviews for SQ?

Service not a good as it once was.

I think that's pretty much the case with all airlines with what they been through the past two years...all gone downhill in tandem so SQ still pretty much top of the heap.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to change plans and glad I did...found this silly fare for SQ Biz HKT-SFO return: 76,385 THB (Phuket legs even on SQ metal in Biz @treetops). I was pinching myself and re-checking several times while making the booking that it was for Business Class ???? ???? ???? 

Screenshot_20220708-143349_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6bca5507db5bdbaff18314463de5f262.jpg

1986349858_Screenshot_20220708-153158_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.716bd68c292f175496df49f24c8698a9.jpg

• Like 1