PRESENT ADDRESS VERIFICATION DOCUMENT for license renewal, with hotel stay

chikuwa

Hello. I just booked license renewal (car and motorbike) online in Chiang Mai. One of the requirements was below. I understand the first part (resident certificate, I plan to do it through embassy), but I am not sure about the second part. "Present Address Verification Document". What does it mean? Does anyone has clue?

3. CERTIFICATE OF PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND ISSUED BY EMBASSY OR IMMIGRATION BUREAU, WITH PRESENT ADDRESS VERIFICATION DOCUMENT (ORIGINAL AND PHOTOCOPY)

I will be flying in to Thailand, basically for renewing the driving license, and stay around for 2-3 months with ED-Visa. I want to do this renewal as the first thing in Thailand, so most likely I'll be at a short-term hotel stay. I'd find long term stays at some point, but at the point of license renewal, I don't have a proper rent. 

Does anyone know what I can do about this...?

Thank you!

Edited by chikuwa

I assumed you presented your proof of residency to immigration or embassy to get your Certificate of Residence. I've never been asked for a separate one by the licencing office, that would defeat the object of the Residency Cert and deprive immigration of their brown envelopes.

As it happens I'm off to Jomtien Immigration this morning to get the very thing. Hope the queues aren't too long.

Back from Jomtien Immigration with my Cert of Residence. No queue, in and out in less than 5 minutes at 10 am. Was told to return at 11 am for the cert, which was ready and waiting for me after a nice breakfast at "Cheap Charlies".

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. 

@Tracyb somehow I could not change my language anymore, probably because I registered myself as a foreigner. Who's the "license folks" there in chiang mai?

I probably need help to get the residence certificate. I thought to do it through the embassy, but they told me that I can't do it right after I arrive in Thailand, I have to be there for a while to be a "resident".  Last time I was in Thailand (with Non-imm visa) was before COVID, I don't have address there yet. I don't mind paying extra to someone to sort this out quickly for me in Chiang Mai, or even in Bangkok (I'm flying in to Bangkok about a week before the appointment date in CM).

33 minutes ago, chikuwa said:

Thank you everyone. 

@Tracyb somehow I could not change my language anymore, probably because I registered myself as a foreigner. Who's the "license folks" there in chiang mai?

I probably need help to get the residence certificate. I thought to do it through the embassy, but they told me that I can't do it right after I arrive in Thailand, I have to be there for a while to be a "resident".  Last time I was in Thailand (with Non-imm visa) was before COVID, I don't have address there yet. I don't mind paying extra to someone to sort this out quickly for me in Chiang Mai, or even in Bangkok (I'm flying in to Bangkok about a week before the appointment date in CM).

The license folks I am referring to are actually the govt officials at the Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transport office on Hang Dong Road.  The office where you get your license.

You can get a residence certificate at CM Immigration.  It may take some time…. However, you can use a visa agent to get it for you usually on the same day.  It may cost you about 1000 baht thru the agent.  You’ll probably need at least a TM30 done before you can get a residence certificate, tho.  Check with the agent about that, too.  Maybe…..just maybe with a capital M….they could do it all at once..(tm-30 and resident certificate…. I’m not sure.

where did you get your first Thai license?  Does it have a Chiang Mai area address on it?  

as I and others have said…. We’ve not been asked to verify our address…only bring the residence certificate.

You can check with Assist Thai Visa Services in Chiang Mai for more info. They help with licenses.  Google them for more info.

Here’s another thought…..

Your Thai license (s) can be renewed up to one year after they expire…without penalty.  If they’re still “valid” you have some time to sort things out.

If it’s been over a year since they expired, consider obtaining an International Drivers license at home before you come here…just to “CYA.”

if it’s has been over a year since they expired, well…you’ll have to start over here and get an altogether new license.  

Hope this helps……

• Like 1

Mine has been expired over 2 years during covid. On DLT website it says below. So I assume I can "renew", just need to take theory test. However, I've also heard the theory / practical test booking to be made on the day of the appointment, so another week or month to wait...

Mine is 5 years license. The first 2 years it was with CM address, but I moved to BKK, so the address on the expired one is BKK address. 

REMARK :

1. 1
    IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST
  2. 2
    IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST

• 1 month later...

Just to update.

I just renewed my car and motorbike license that were expired more than 2 years. The residence certificate from the immigration was enough, but I had to do the written exam. 

In chiang mai Hang Dong, no booking is required, walk-in, take test, renew.