Expensive “loyalty” dents world’s most popular sport

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tulsathit Taptim

When Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard visited Thailand many years ago for a friendly game with the Thai national team, he said two things that probably can combine to form the crux of the Pimrypie controversy. Firstly, he remarked that when they landed, he couldn’t wait to see the faces of new Liverpool players who were first-time visitors to the country, because they all would be taken aback and blown away by the craze shown by Thai fans, who were about to make them feel like rock stars.

The other thing that he said was very sensitive, and club officials urged Thai journalists to play it down. Prompted by a reporter, he said he knew that many Liverpool fans were poor kids who could only wear “fake” club shirts and he truly sympathized with them. It was a comment that tells a thousand words.

Sport loyalty in today’s world is costly, but Gerrard, as the virtual club ambassador, was torn between the commercial side of football that involved a lot of copyright and expensive products and the existence of supporters who watched illegal torrents and own counterfeit accessories not because they wanted to, but because they could not afford the real ones.

Blend the craze with the high costs and the Pimrypie incident was inevitable. Who wouldn’t want see Liverpool clashing with Manchester United in Bangkok? Yet the tickets were _ and still are _ so costly that even middle-class fans, let alone the poorer ones, have decided to shun them with clenched jaws.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/expensive-loyalty-dents-worlds-most-popular-sport/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

The Thai organisers are the issue here. Yes Liverpool and Man U will have been guaranteed a 'appearance' sum but I'm sure the invite and contact came from the Thais . Its going to be a big rip off sadly for the supporters as they are only going to get a few stars , maybe 2 or 3 , and the rest squad or fringe players . Thats the way it works in early foreign pre season games with players reporting back late after other commitments . Taken from Liverpool Forum

2nd July – Back for pre-season training

12th July – Friendly v Man United in Bangkok

15th July – Friendly v Crystal Palace in Singapore

no way there getting any amount of 'stars' in Thailand playing in that first game and probably both .

Edited by Nigeone

Eventually, there will have to be a halt to the ridiculously high wages paid to the top stars and also to the transfer fees paid for them.  Of course, a top limit for both would have to be initiated somehow on a European or World scale to make it work and be fully policed. 

Personally, as a lifelong Football supporter, I think the way the current style of playing has moved from that of the exciting Christiano Renaldo to much passing sideways and backwards (and sometimes even forwards), often at walking pace,  will soon deter supporters from paying so much money for what are often boring low-scoring performances by extremely high-paid performers.

• Like 1

I posted this on another thread a long time ago, about the Liverpool vs Man U match.

I went to the liverpool vs Thailand game, in 2015. It was 800 Bhat if I remember correctly.
Same stadium. I still have the ticket. 

So,4,000 Bhat for the cheapest ticket now,  seems crazy.

liv1.jpg

liv2.jpg

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Blend the craze with the high costs and the Pimrypie incident was inevitable. Who wouldn’t want see Liverpool clashing with Manchester United in Bangkok? Yet the tickets were _ and still are _ so costly that even middle-class fans, let alone the poorer ones, have decided to shun them with clenched jaws.

To be honest I hope the whole thing is a flop and half the stadium is empty.

This was going to be a train wreck right from day one.

• Like 2