Thailand betting on dramatic "boys' love" tourism boom: FEATURE

webfact

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

Known in Thailand as "Y series" -- a reference to the Japanese "yaoi" fiction that features homoerotic relationships between male characters and provided the inspiration for BL dramas -- the productions were once looked upon with prejudice but have gained acceptance due to their potential to function as a cultural export.

Well this should sure coincide with the governments stated objective of attracting the "wealthy tourist"   I am sure there will be charter flights from Monaco to handle the expected surge. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, proton said:

Boy on boy manga is a massive female interest in Japan so they might be on to something

I collect a bit of manga toys, I can confirm that the manga toys out there on facebook market in Thailand already leave very little to the imagination!

39 minutes ago, Enoon said:

All sorts of interesting stuff in the Japanese tradition of erotic graphic art:

image.png.299a56c8c0b3612d9b6aabcdacea9f23.png

Around 1970 in Kyoto I invited friends at New Years to go with me to a burlesque theater, Omiya Gekijo. It was quite surprising. Barrels of sake at the entrance to help yourself... get in the mood! The audience had a lot of old men, notably in the front row. The performers ended up squating on the edge of the stage using ends of octopus tentacle to entertain themselves, as in the above wood cut. Near the end, an old man in the front row was inspecting the action at rather close range, enough so that the performer took off his glasses to rub them there! It was an interesting introduction to an aspect of Japanese culture that's not advertised. I couldn't help feeling embarrased as one friend was a Japanese Zen priest accompanied by his wife.

As for the Y-girls, it's not just Japan, though. And they might not be gay.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has begun a campaign to attract international tourists, and especially Japanese travelers, using the popularity of homegrown productions of "boys' love," or BL dramas, as a drawcard.

Well the TAT are notorious for coming up with the most outlandish rubbish you can ever here. I guess this is another gem.

6 million Japanese tourists coming next month for sure.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Well this should sure coincide with the governments stated objective of attracting the "wealthy tourist"   I am sure there will be charter flights from Monaco to handle the expected surge. 

Never heard of the 'pink pound'?

Personally I can't stand the Thai dramas soppy love stories, even as a gay guy. ????

You have to agree with me. Thailand is growing into a true paradise. Booz, Ganja, Bargirls, Gays, Lesbians, Transgenders and a low cost livelihood. A place for every human being that wants to enjoy life his, her or it way. And if its without aggression.........Paradise.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A trolling post along with other posts responding to it have been removed.

15.  You will not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, disability, medical history, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, paternity, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant factor.

6 hours ago, placnx said:

Around 1970 in Kyoto I invited friends at New Years to go with me to a burlesque theater, Omiya Gekijo. It was quite surprising. Barrels of sake at the entrance to help yourself... get in the mood! The audience had a lot of old men, notably in the front row. The performers ended up squating on the edge of the stage using ends of octopus tentacle to entertain themselves, as in the above wood cut. Near the end, an old man in the front row was inspecting the action at rather close range, enough so that the performer took off his glasses to rub them there! It was an interesting introduction to an aspect of Japanese culture that's not advertised. I couldn't help feeling embarrased as one friend was a Japanese Zen priest accompanied by his wife.

As for the Y-girls, it's not just Japan, though. And they might not be gay.

Good information from a well traveled, cosmopolitan person. Very rare on this forum.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Known in Thailand as "Y series" -- a reference to the Japanese "yaoi" fiction that features homoerotic relationships between male characters and provided the inspiration for BL dramas -- the productions were once looked upon with prejudice but have gained acceptance due to their potential to function as a cultural export.

Anything for money... fastest thing to change minds.

this will be touted as soft power tomorrow.

• Haha 1