No toilet flange?? Also, hard black sludge

RoyLee

Replacing toilet in the gf's new house. Only thing holding it down was gravity. There is no flange at all. Just an open pipe and Lots of what looks like grout to seal it. Is that normal here? 

Also in both bathrooms, all fixtures, a ton of black sludge in all pipes , much of it hardened in the end of the pipe restricting flow. Not too familiar with thai plumbing but wondering if it's worth redoing all the pipes. Probably not good for the recently installed RO system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoyLee said:

Also in both bathrooms, all fixtures, a ton of black sludge in all pipes , much of it hardened in the end of the pipe restricting flow. Not too familiar with thai plumbing but wondering if it's worth redoing all the pipes.

Yes.

• Like 1

The toilet is held down by cement glue my toilet be was very heavy one and even a job to lift. The hole in toilet just sits over the soil pipe.with about half inch clearance..then there is a thing like an large o ring made of like putty.that gets squashed between toilet and soil pipe .. make sure the two holes line up..

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

The toilet is held down by cement glue my toilet be was very heavy one and even a job to lift. The hole in toilet just sits over the soil pipe.with about half inch clearance..then there is a thing like an large o ring made of like putty.that gets squashed between toilet and soil pipe .. make sure the two holes line up..

I already had the tank off so only lifted the bowl. I could not see how it was held down so just tried lifting it. It came up without any resistance at all, exposing the blob of "cement".  There was no putty or other sealant. How does the cement grab onto smooth tile? I'll see what tai watsadu has and if I can install a low profile flange on the tile . If not, I'll do it thai style as you suggest.

When the plumbers were fixing my new toilet in ,they

weren't going to use the wax like seal that came with

the toilet , he said we don't usually use that , but for

me, you will,  gives a better seal between toilet and

floor ,should be used, then toilet bolted down to floor ,then

grout around it.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Finally replaced toilet this year. Installers used cement grout to install Thai way. New toilet had strong flush and broke the cement seal. Ordered American Standard Flange and Fluidmaster seal(reusable no wax) from Lazada.

Son in law and myself removed toilet, cleaned mess and installed toilet with flange. Should have done years ago. Just look at some of the YouTube videos and you can't go wrong.