Eight injured - two seriously - as motorcycle plows into crowd at southern Thai street race

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News caption: Serious collision

Tragedy struck at a park motorcycle race for charity in the south of Thailand after a rider lost control and plowed into spectators.

The incident - caught on a shocking video - happened in downtown Trang on Sunday.

Rescue services were on the scene giving CPR as eight were injured, two seriously at Kapangsurin Park.

Among them was the grievously injured rider and a spectator aged about 10 who had no pulse and were in comas reported Daily News

image.jpeg

The six others were conscious and also taken to Trang hospital. 

The event was called Kapangsurin Road Racing that took place on Saturday and Sunday. 

Many spectators were watching, standing on footpaths. 

Pol Col Cheauchart Yaodam, Muang Trang police chief, said the races had been given permission but the police had not been advised about the accident. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

WARNING: The following video may be disturbing for some viewers. Discretion is advised!

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Tragedy struck at a park motorcycle race for charity in the south of Thailand after a rider lost control and plowed into spectators.

Oh well, the organisers will now lose more money in lawsuits than the charity will ever get

• Like 2

My post is not related, not exactly, to this sad and tragic incident but in some ways it is directly related.

I know some would/will say; 'Oh you're just an old guy and stuffy' or some such thing.

I saw recently on Instagram (yeah I actually use the app and I do enjoy the things I follow, cars, Dalmatian dogs, nature, gardening, architecture etc and I was swishing through some of the video posts therein and saw a few - quite a few videos by 'males-only' driving doing burnouts, launching, drifting, doughnuts or 'circle-work' as country folks call it in Australia.

All this 'on-the-edge' driving on public open roads with other drivers going about their daily driving and coming across completely unawares such high risk behaviour. Many near misses, and lots of violent collisions with stationery objects, pedestrians, and moving cars.

While I get the desire for adrenalin and youthful expression of testosterone the normalising of such behaviours seems to be on the rise and as this event shows results often in really lamentable consequences. What was viewed as just exuberant, right-of-passage to manhood stuff (Instagram), and in this case a 'charity' based event has resulted in death, maiming, and carnage. 

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Unbelievable and criminal - a high speed motorcycle race along a public street with no visible crash barriers to protect the spectators!!! I wish the injured speedy recoveries.

Just like a normal day on Pattaya Second road.

• Thanks 1

Backward nations usually suffer from avoidable tragedies. Permission was given by authorities. The rest is academic. No foresight or consideration for potential risks to actions. The dumb parents who take their kids to watch races on footpaths should be charged with criminal negligence too. Dumb and dumber the lot of them. 

• Like 1