77-year-old Australian man found after going missing while hiking on Koh Larn

webfact

image.jpeg

PHOTO: TOPNEWS อนันต์ กิ่งสร / ทิวากร กฤษมณี

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Koh Larn, Pattaya —  A 77-year-old Australian man was finally found after going missing while hiking on Koh Larn with minor injuries and exhaustion from his ordeal. Almost 100 people reportedly partook in searching for him.

Baan Koh Larn rescuers received a report from the Pattaya Police Station that a 77-year-old Australian tourist, whose name was withheld, went astray near Samae Beach on Koh Larn, July 3rd. The man reportedly disappeared from his hiking group consisting of 20 people.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/07/04/77-year-old-australian-man-found-after-going-missing-while-hiking-on-koh-larn/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-07-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grain said:

There's no tour operator or staff. They're a private group of friends who hold regular fitness/social walks. The 77yo Aussie is not a Pattaya expat, he's a tourist who just got there a few days ago, so it was fairly easy for the rest of the group to not notice his absence until later. However, I suspect in the future they'll be having head counts before heading home.

It's not easy to keep your eye on this old timer when you are miles in front of him.  There should have been someone with him at all times as hiking in the Thai bush is not easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

After finishing a trail on Koh Larn, his company boarded a ferry back to Pattaya without a thorough check and only realized about his disappearance when they arrived at Pattaya. 

Any news on the sacking of the tour operator staff for gross negligence ? 

...brings to mind the dive boat incident years ago on GBR.

3 hours ago, tandor said:

...brings to mind the dive boat incident years ago on GBR.

I went out from Cairns on that very dive boat some time after they left the 2 Americans on the reef. The extensive checking, double checking and signing in regime that had then was annoying until you realized why. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pomchop said:

seems  lot of young whippersnappers on here think a 77 y.o. man is too old to go for a walk?  Really?

77 not all that old if you have taken reasonable care of yourself and walk most everyday.. i am close to that and did a 252 mile hike in the mountains not long ago.

True, I read recently that 77 is the new 60.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grain said:

I know the guy well, he's 77 but very fit, he does 10km runs, even longer, pretty well daily. Not many people would have been miles in front of him, most of the group would have been way behind him. What happened was he slipped on some loose rocks and had a spill and got some minor injuries. Still, the rest of the group should have noticed his absence and as I said above, they should have had a head count before departing the island. I'm sure this incident will bring about a couple of new regulations for the group. A similar group who hold regular walks/runs at Hua Hin stipulate that everybody carries their mobile phones and have the mobile numbers of a couple of others from the group, on their phones in case of mishaps like this.

Hash House Harriers deal with older folk on the trails all the time. Hua Hin Hash has a couple of people over 80 and in Sydney, Darwin Don was well into his 90s when he hashed each week.

Yep, mobile phones are useful, as is common sense. Sounds like this bloke knew what he was doing, i.e. stayed on the track and didn't get lost, but common sense of the others was shabby.

Youngsters out there, anyone under 60, should appreciate that the rewards of keeping fit as we age, far outweigh the dangers. Though personally, I'm not big on road cycling in most countries. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, Donga said:

Hash House Harriers deal with older folk on the trails all the time. Hua Hin Hash has a couple of people over 80 and in Sydney, Darwin Don was well into his 90s when he hashed each week.

Yep, mobile phones are useful, as is common sense. Sounds like this bloke knew what he was doing, i.e. stayed on the track and didn't get lost, but common sense of the others was shabby.

Youngsters out there, anyone under 60, should appreciate that the rewards of keeping fit as we age, far outweigh the dangers. Though personally, I'm not big on road cycling in most countries. 

Years ago when I ran with Songkhla H3 they had a searchlight (I don't know what model or power is was) but they carried it in the beer truck, then if it was dark and some hashers still hadn't returned to the A site, they'd turn on the searchlight and shoot this big beam up into the sky, you could see the bloody thing miles away and instantly knew the correct way to get back.

• Like 2