Water filter, not maintained. Should it?

THAIPHUKET

I change 3-4 out of 6 stages of my filter every 6 months, and this time it was especially sakapok, due to some recent pipe maintanance in the building. The filtered water was still pure and clean, but pressure was not sufficient, and if I hadn't UV-stage, i'd be reluctant to drink that water even after filtering. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7942406cacca470d8f31f6a5ec64bffe.jpeg

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Edit the full stop off the link and you get this:-

AM-JKLW-gRDWQpvDLYaXM1xpJHKy7uEHaGMJYjKZA0t-Lp8wIVXmxeQH2OuRz27jnOzG2Z_WOyaBkUeczDk1h7HkdB-u_95ubHc4WaHRpn_LphabBEiFQO2tNOUlJKpoVj_OTpJosTBXKLerMZckHafUaEfKBA=w627-h835-no?authuser=0

Looks like a 2 or 3 component filter to me, and pretty old at that too. I have such a filter (a modern one), it gets backwashed monthly, and the filter materials get replaced annually. 

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 2

That is a sand and gravel filter for deep well pumped water. It looks as though it has the usual label on it telling to back-flush every 10-14 days for 15-20 minutes. We have 2 of these, one of which the gravel and sand was changed last year after 15 years - a bit over due!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, andreww said:

I change 3-4 out of 6 stages of my filter every 6 months, and this time it was especially sakapok, due to some recent pipe maintanance in the building. The filtered water was still pure and clean, but pressure was not sufficient, and if I hadn't UV-stage, i'd be reluctant to drink that water even after filtering. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7942406cacca470d8f31f6a5ec64bffe.jpeg

We have a pure filter brand, last time we had the filters changed the guy said the UV filter is not really needed and over the top, even he did not bother with it.

1 minute ago, proton said:

We have a pure filter brand, last time we had the filters changed the guy said the UV filter is not really needed and over the top, even he did not bother with it.

UV kills bacteria in the water, no other stage of the filter kills bacteria

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think I'd be pulling the whole thing out and going for a nice modern unit.

What would be the major differences?  The posted type of filter is a whole house type generally just filled with rock, sand and charcoal, one or a combination.   The new ones look like the old ones to me, they seem to be filled the same way so how are they different?   It is not a drinking water filter like those many have posted about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Valves are set in an unusual way for filtering.  Not sure filter would function with valves set like that.

Yes, well spotted. It is allowing the input water to flow to both sides of the filter, so no filtration, maybe just adding a little sand for 'roughage'.

I should imagine that it is supplied by the village water rather than a deep well.....

16 minutes ago, Rica Macaspac said:

Maybe you might want to try Awesome Water Filters

any of that whole house filters like this thread is about or just drinking water filters which is a very different topic?

17 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

To get a modern filter, what to look for? Who will install?

Not sure a "modern filter" will be much different from the one you have.  Those talking of modern filters seem to have been referring to drinking water filters.

Anyway a company with a name like LanaAnalytic or Lana l'anatytic is very experienced about water in and around chiang mai.  They have records of wells drilled and water tested and knowledgeable staff.  Located on Chaang Peak Road, West side about 150 meters before Super Highway intersection.  They usually send somebody out, can sample and test your water if needed and can install and maintain filters. 053 410 182

After they have checked your situation they will recommend and you can ask about alternatives.  They provide written proposals with pricing.

Edited by Dante99