Cannot get internet into the house in Khon Kaen

essex boys

Hi all, we have just finished building the house and recently moved in, we went to AIS as they were running a good deal on their fibre broadband anyway long story short they came to the house and ‘no can do’ I don’t know what the problem is as whatever my mrs is telling me I just can’t understand what she’s telling me..whatever it is in Thai doesn’t translate into English…we are going to the 3BB store tomorrow to see what an be done all I can make out is it’s something to do with a line ?!, it has been suggested by AIS that we buy a router and get a good data sim package 

so my question is is anyone using a router with a SIM card and which supplier are you using, where do you get the best deals? Sorry for the long winded questions 

I would guess your house is just too remote so too far from the rest of the fibre grid to be worth it to AIS.

It would probably be better to get fibre from a different provider if they offer it before going to mobile network options. 

As for what router you'd need that somewhat depends on your network requirements. Like how fast of a mobile plan are you using, how big is your house, how many devices, etc. I tend to go through advice just because they have good prices and good warranty support compared to 3rd party sellers on lazada/shopee/Facebook marketplace. Jib, BananaIT, and invade all provide the same sort of thing but a bit worse on average imo.

https://www.advice.co.th/product/4g-router-mifi-aircard

• Like 2

Hi redbackman, thanks for your reply, we are a bit remote but saying that since we started our build another five houses have started going up so I reckon give it a year and the companies will move in and make fibre happen as the customers will be there, thanks for the link I have been looking at what’s on offer we are going out tomorrow to try and get a good data package deal for a SIM card only  plan , there’s only me and the mrs in the house and she’s at work during the week so our demands are not high but we want a good set up 

Firstly, you need to find out which network gives the best signal at your place.

Once you have done that, you can add the data pack to a SIM of that network.

All networks currently offering unlimited data at 30 Mbps(3.75 MB/s) from 235 baht per month.

Then you match a router to your new SIM. Prices from 1400 baht for a CAT.4 to 3400 baht to 4000 baht for a CAT.6: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/archer-mr600-4g-cat6-ac1200-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-4g-300-mbps-i2460968949-s8623218628.html

• Thanks 1

@essex boys When we moved to KKC we went to the 3BB main office, on Glang Muang Road to check that we could get a connection before buying land, They laughed at us and said "we cover the whole province"

When we had applied for connection in the past they were really concerned with looking up the location on google maps and using their overlay to find the distance between the nearest DP. This office wouldn't even do this, they told us not to worry, and they were / are right.

You can even do this on the phone, no need to visit. although they have difficulty locating you if you don't have a green book or address - also, I won't say that 3BB are perfect, but they can speak English on the phone, there is no reason for translation confusion - if it will help any, DM me, I have the direct number of the "head" tech at Khon Kaen who can explain perfectly why you cant have a connection.

• 3 weeks later...

Where we live now, we only had Internet via 4G, but we talked to 3BB (the only provider in the area) and after many talks they agreed to install Fiber from a nearby (2kms) point (but it took around 4-5 months)

In the end it cost us 16k THB to have it installed, and now over 2 years in we are very happy and we have great speeds but NOT the speed according to our package which is 1000/500 but more like 300/150, but that is good enough for us.

For example: Netflix / Hbo Go / Disney Hotstar all work without any buffering!

I had hi speedfibre for many years in Bangkok. Dumped it due to too many outages of service.

Bought an unlimited data sim card for around 1400 thb.

I configure my fone as a hotspot for wifi connection to my pc.

No problems with power outages or other interruptions to service that come with fibre and I have unlimited data on my fone away from house. The sim is rated 15mbs but runs at 10 mbs which can handle most streaming requirements